Trump is one of the reasons why I didn't support Obama in the '08
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:46:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Trump is one of the reasons why I didn't support Obama in the '08
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump is one of the reasons why I didn't support Obama in the '08  (Read 2983 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 08:35:12 AM »

Bump. My point was not that whites would not vote for Obama, but that having a black as the face of the party for 8 years would result in racial polarization. In retrospect, I was right. The GOP has now built a race-based majority and future elections depend solely on whites. Minorities will not need to be courted by anyone now because the GOP doesn't need us. America is Alabama now.
huh…? trump barely "won" and the minority share of the population will only keep goïng up. if anything, you should be drawing the opposite conclusion.

also cringe@ "a black"

lol.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »

obama please drone
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »

I think this post alone is more evident of Beet's racism than anything the media has on Bannon ironically.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:59 PM »

I think there's a lot of truth to your analysis, Beet, but the conclusion that the solution is for the Democratic party to avoid nominating minority candidates is indeed racist by definition.

The racial polarization of American politics along black vs. white lines goes way beyond Obama. It's a trend that has been evolving since at least 1964, and actually more like the 1940's if you drill down further in the election results. And going further back American politics has always had nationalist elements and polarization by ethnicity.

And of course you can also look abroad and find similar themes in plenty of other countries, none of which have had black Presidents recently if ever.

The Democrats certainly need a more sustained and direct message to the concerns of white non-college educated voters but that's a completely separate issue from the race of our candidates/presidents.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »

I think there's a lot of truth to your analysis, Beet, but the conclusion that the solution is for the Democratic party to avoid nominating minority candidates is indeed racist by definition.

The racial polarization of American politics along black vs. white lines goes way beyond Obama. It's a trend that has been evolving since at least 1964, and actually more like the 1940's if you drill down further in the election results. And going further back American politics has always had nationalist elements and polarization by ethnicity.

And of course you can also look abroad and find similar themes in plenty of other countries, none of which have had black Presidents recently if ever.

The Democrats certainly need a more sustained and direct message to the concerns of white non-college educated voters but that's a completely separate issue from the race of our candidates/presidents.

It's not racist to acknowledge the impact of race. Black people were on the verge of a breakthrough in the GOP prior to Obama. In 2004, the percent of black delegates to the RNC reached an all-time high:

It subsequently plunged to record lows during the Obama years.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »

It would have happened with or without Obama. The Democrats would have gone socially all way to the left, because it's a worldwide trend. I think that without Obama things would've looked worse right now because neither the left or the right will have liked Hillary Clinton and the field in 2016 would have probably be more polarized now.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 06:46:28 PM »

That's one Hell of a bump.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »

Couldn't it just as easily be argued that Hillary would result in sex/gender polarization?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies