Johnson: Romney, Leavitt "guaranteed" places in my administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:34:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Johnson: Romney, Leavitt "guaranteed" places in my administration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Johnson: Romney, Leavitt "guaranteed" places in my administration  (Read 1200 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/865660664/Gary-Johnson-wants-Mitt-Romney-and-Michael-Leavitt-in-administration.html?pg=all
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »

I really like Gary Johnson, but I really, really preferred the continuity Ron Paul version of Johnson from 2012 than I do this Johnson 2.0 experiment in moderate Republicanism.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »

lol wut
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »

I really like Gary Johnson, but I really, really preferred the continuity Ron Paul version of Johnson from 2012 than I do this Johnson 2.0 experiment in moderate Republicanism.

The Libertarian Party has never hesitated to be willing shills for the big-business, socially-liberal Rockefeller wing of the GOP. Johnson is just the latest iteration.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:55:27 AM »

The Libertarian Party has never hesitated to be willing shills for the big-business, socially-liberal Rockefeller wing of the GOP. Johnson is just the latest iteration.
Aside from the Barr/Root ticket and perhaps Ed Clark, I don't think they ever deviated too far away from their principles. Even Johnson in 2012 ran on a genuine libertarian platform.
mencken
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »

Thank you for reassuring me that my 2012 vote for this opportunist was not a colossal mistake.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »

The Libertarian Party is just the Moderate Republican Party at this point.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »

Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

Romney? This guy doesn't want getting to the debates...
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 11:27:39 AM »

Aside from the Barr/Root ticket and perhaps Ed Clark, I don't think they ever deviated too far away from their principles. Even Johnson in 2012 ran on a genuine libertarian platform.

Barr/Root was the nuttiest Libertarian ticket in history. 
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »

I'm voting Johnson since Trump and Hillary are unacceptable, but I am upset that he's making a play for disaffected liberals rather than presenting himself as the true conservative alternative to Trump.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »

Although a libertarian, I always liked Mitt Romney. I'd think he'd be great in the Johnson administration (if it happens). Don't know who that other guy is, I'll have to do some research.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »

Perhaps Rubio and McMuffin were just ruses, and Johnson is the true Mormchurian candidate.  Perhaps Johnson is a ruse too.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »

I'm voting Johnson since Trump and Hillary are unacceptable, but I am upset that he's making a play for disaffected liberals rather than presenting himself as the true conservative alternative to Trump.

I suspect they've done this because of the refusal of just about all of the #NeverTrump crowd to jump on the Johnson-Weld bandwagon.

The failure of just about all of the #NeverTrump crowd to jump on the Johnson-Weld bandwagon is, to me, a sign of their insincerity.  Johnson and Weld are both former GOP Governors who are both small government Republicans who are socially liberal, but not a stretch for most of the non-Neocon #NeverTrump crowd.  They'd be a natural for Susan Collins to endorse, but she's not doing so.  Many of the #NeverTrump GOP could credibly endorse Johnson-Weld as a viable alternative to Trump.

What I believe most of these #NeverTrump types are hoping for is for Trump to suddenly repudiate his ideological apostasies and become a Marco Rubio Republican, so they can say "Gee, he's come around and while I won't be seen with him, I'll vote for him in the privacy of the voting booth."  They're dreaming, of course, but their #NeverTrump posture has little to do with principle, and nothing to do with the idea that "Trump Is Nuts".  If folks REALLY believed that Trump was mentally unstable (and they don't really believe that), what is their excuse to not endorse Hillary Clinton, putting Country First?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 02:28:48 PM »

So he's pandering a bit, whatever.  He's trying to build a coalition to get elected.  You can see how well hardcore libertarianism does in the mainstream.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »

So he's pandering a bit, whatever.  He's trying to build a coalition to get elected.  You can see how well hardcore libertarianism does in the mainstream.
But he's not going to win so... and he isn't even going to get into the debates.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »

Hello? does anyone NOT see this as a pander to Utah as much as the Rockefeller wing?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »

While it's never gone to court, there are federal statutes that suggest that promising federal appointments to individuals before actually winning the election is basically bribery.  Which is one reason why you never see candidate announcing their cabinet ahead of time.  They might say such and such would be a great whatever, but they don't go guaranteeing.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »

But he's not going to win so... and he isn't even going to get into the debates.

"Says who?" lol
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »

I wonder what Romney thinks of Johnson sort of trying to reverse-engineer an endorsement. I always thought eventually the NeverTrumpers would rally around Johnson but with McWhatshisface in the race now, the NeverTrumpers again have a choice which will again paralyze them into indecision, just like during the primaries.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 03:36:03 PM »

Uh, did you even watch their convention?
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »

Of course not, I have a life.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »

Of course not, I have a life.

Sad
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »

If it gets Johnson/Weld more votes, so be it.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »

If it gets Johnson/Weld more votes solidifies #NeverTrump Republicans, so be it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies