How and where does Trump crack the blue wall?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:40:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How and where does Trump crack the blue wall?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How and where does Trump crack the blue wall?  (Read 1798 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »

On Trump's best possible day, THIS could happen.

I'm throwing in the outside chance that New Mexico's Johnson vote draws more votes from Clinton than Trump, which well may play out.

No

It's not a likely map, but I do think it represents the top of Trump's possibilities.  I would not have NM in there for Trump in a 2 way race.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 05:58:11 PM »

only Pennsylvania, and even that is out of reach.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »

I'm throwing in the outside chance that New Mexico's Johnson vote draws more votes from Clinton than Trump, which well may play out.

No

It's not a likely map, but I do think it represents the top of Trump's possibilities.  I would not have NM in there for Trump in a 2 way race.

When Trump is polling within single digits in CO, NH, and VA you can post that map...
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2016, 10:17:49 PM by Seriously? »

NV+IA then either: CO or NH+ME1, MI, MN, WI or CT (in order of possibility).

That's assuming PA or VA don't work.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »

No

When Trump is polling within single digits in CO, NH, and VA you can post that map...

It's best that we disregard current polling, because the only poll that matters is in November. I can list a number of candidates that were leading at this time and went on to lose the general election. So it's best we not jump to conclusions just yet.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 11:44:21 PM »

It's best that we disregard current polling, because the only poll that matters is in November. I can list a number of candidates that were leading at this time and went on to lose the general election. So it's best we not jump to conclusions just yet.

The sounds of a losing campaign. The state by state polls by late August tend to be pretty decent relative to the actual election, far better than national polling.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »

The sounds of a losing campaign. The state by state polls by late August tend to be pretty decent relative to the actual election, far better than national polling.

President Dukakis would admire that statement had he won.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 11:57:33 PM »

You're blanketly throwing out literally all the polls based on a single race, in which the dynamics make more sense if you switch the parties. And using an election from almost three decades ago for this basis, when polling methodology was less refined, which makes it make less even less sense.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

You're blanketly throwing out literally all the polls based on a single race, in which the dynamics make more sense if you switch the parties. And using an election from almost three decades ago for this basis, when polling methodology was less refined, which makes it make less even less sense.

It simply is an example and a representation that polling isn't as accurate as we'd like to believe. It can be inflated in another candidate's favor and the result can be drastically different than what we were expecting.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »

It simply is an example and a representation that polling isn't as accurate as we'd like to believe. It can be inflated in another candidate's favor and the result can be drastically different than what we were expecting.

I won't disagree with this, but just remember it could equally be just as different in the opposite direction. It is probably best to ignore national polling anyway to be honest (and I'm saying this even with Clinton ahead) because the state vote is what matters given the electoral college. Unfortunately I can't compare this year to anything prior to 2008 as I don't know where state polls can be found prior to then.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »

I won't disagree with this, but just remember it could equally be just as different in the opposite direction. It is probably best to ignore national polling anyway to be honest (and I'm saying this even with Clinton ahead) because the state vote is what matters given the electoral college. Unfortunately I can't compare this year to anything prior to 2008 as I don't know where state polls can be found prior to then.

Interesting document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EWaKPDUolqbN7_od8sSTNMRObfUidlVPRBxeyyirbLM/htmlview#
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:55 AM »

Interesting, though these aren't the pre-election polls.

It makes sense though because I think most exit polls are taken in urban areas (which tend to go to the Democrats more) so that explains why the adjusting is necessary in the first place.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 12:20:32 AM »

It makes sense though because I think most exit polls are taken in urban areas (which tend to go to the Democrats more) so that explains why the adjusting is necessary in the first place.

Exactly, and having quite a bit of difficulty searching for those pre-election state polls.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 12:24:32 AM »

Exactly, and having quite a bit of difficulty searching for those pre-election state polls.

Found another interesting source: http://www.surveyusa.com/ror/aapor2005bloomoregon.pdf
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »

No

Okay...so what exactly is his prediction based on?   Why bother posting the map at all?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »

Assuming WI MI doesn't tighten significantly, he probably has to win PA, because he has zero chance of winning NH.

FIFY.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »

I think he should focus first on even winning FL and OH.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »

Yup.

You would think people would have learned something from 2012. State polling was far more accurate then national polling, especially the daily tracker(ex. Gallup had Romney +7 on the even of election night.)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies