An authoritarian right wing government replacing an authoritarian left wing one
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  An authoritarian right wing government replacing an authoritarian left wing one
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An authoritarian right wing government replacing an authoritarian left wing one  (Read 1563 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:23:21 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2016, 04:35:02 PM by L'exquisite Douleur »

Why is this so rare? History is full of plenty of examples of an authoritarian right wing government replacing a democratic left wing one (Pinochet, Franco, tons of other coups), an authoritarian right wing government replacing a democratic right wing one (Greek coup and a bunch of others and elected despots consolidating power like Ferdinand Marcos, also depending on your definition of "right wing" could easily apply to things like the Egyptian military seizing power from Mohamed Morsi or most Thai military coups), an authoritarian left wing government replacing an authoritarian right wing one (Cuba, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, just about every communist takeover in Europe, etc.) and a democratic left wing or right wing government replacing an authoritarian right wing one (Portugal and South Africa for left, Greece for right, plenty of other examples in immediate post-war Europe) and a democratic left or right wing government replacing an authoritarian left wing one (see post-communist states.) But an authoritarian right wing one taking over from an authoritarian left wing one is exceedingly rare.

The only examples I can think of Suharto's takeover from Sukarno in Indonesia, and the overthrow of Bela Kun's short lived communist regime in Hungary and replacement with the Miklos Horthy regime. And the latter one is kind of a weak example too since it was basically instigated and installed by external states. Why is this so rare?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:09:08 PM »

How would you classify situations wherein communist regimes were replaced by governments of very much the same substance--and the same people--but forced to don "nationalism" instead as the source of their legitimacy or power? I'm thinking about, say, Belarus, or the Central Asian Republics... and Russia.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »

How would you classify situations wherein communist regimes were replaced by governments of very much the same substance--and the same people--but forced to don "nationalism" instead as the source of their legitimacy or power? I'm thinking about, say, Belarus, or the Central Asian Republics... and Russia.

Was just gonna ask this.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:45:38 AM »

The murder of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is a reasonable example of this, I think.

In general, though, I would say that in a leftist dictatorship, the sorts of institutions that usually support right-wing dictatorships (particularly the military) adopt a leftist patina.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:20:38 AM »

I wouldn't really call Allende's government "authoritarian".
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 04:38:04 PM »

Sure

Authoritarian left wing regimes replace authoritarian right wing regimes after revolutions (Russia 1917, China 1949, Cuba 1959, Nicaragua 1979), replace foreign occupation (Eastern Europe after WWII) and decolonization (many countries in Africa and Asia after the WWII).

Authoritatian right wing regimes replace democracies after coup d'stat (Italy 1922, Portugal 1926, Germany 1933, Spain 1936-1939, Iran 1953, Brazil 1964, Uruguay 1973, Chile 1973, Argentina 1976).

Indonesia was one of the few examples of an authoritarian right-wing regime replacing an authoritarian left-wing regime. If you consider Yeltsin and Putin authoritarian, you can use Russia as another example.
Maybe, Maduro will be replaced by an authoritarian right-wing. If the coup attempt in Venezuela in 2002 were well suceed, there could be another example. But Chavez in 2002 was not so authoritarian.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »

The murder of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is a reasonable example of this, I think.

In general, though, I would say that in a leftist dictatorship, the sorts of institutions that usually support right-wing dictatorships (particularly the military) adopt a leftist patina.

Yeah, my thought was that the sources of right-wing authoritarian government need institutional legitimacy, which a left-wing authoritarian government will not lend them; they become more left-wing authoritarian to survive. The sources of left-wing authoritarian power typically spring forth from grassroots agitation and have no such need; therefore it is easier for left-wing authoritarian governments to arise under and replace right-wing authoritarian ones.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »

Russia and Belarus aren't quite examples because the move to authoritarianism was pretty gradual, Russia was a democracy for awhile and even Lukashenko was democratically elected in his first election. The Central Asia republics are interesting cases...but since the leadership was basically the same that's more like the regime just switching orientations instead of being replaced.

I wouldn't really call Allende's government "authoritarian".

I never said it was.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:03 PM »

Actually another example that just came to mind would be the nationalist governments in the former Yugoslavia.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »

Even as a democracy, Russia seems to have been pretty authoritarian. Yeltsin did besiege the Russian White House to consolidate his power.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »

Could the fall of Jacobin France in favour of the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte count?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:40:35 AM »

Could the fall of Jacobin France in favour of the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte count?
Napoleon, that famous liberal authoritarian?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »

No.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »

Calling Napoleon right wing or authoritarian is laughable when compared to the other governments at the time.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »

I always thougt, there was some ideological shift with the coup in Burma in 1988/89.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies