1026 - The Freedom to Drink Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  1026 - The Freedom to Drink Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 1026 - The Freedom to Drink Act  (Read 3587 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 10:40:50 PM »

I believe that the minimum should be eighteen, but I think this should be a matter for the regions.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 10:31:47 PM »

Okay, so let's get some debate back in here. 48 hours folks!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 11:14:23 PM »

Er...Mr. Speaker, you told me you guys rejected this. Tongue

Anyway, I think we should set it up where regions can slide it anywhere from 16/17 to 21, with 18 as the baseline if the regions fail to make a law about it themselves.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 02:51:03 AM »

Er...Mr. Speaker, you told me you guys rejected this. Tongue

Anyway, I think we should set it up where regions can slide it anywhere from 16/17 to 21, with 18 as the baseline if the regions fail to make a law about it themselves.

Did I? Well, the bill wasn't finished so I am bringing it back here. I may have meant the Senate version, but either way it's here now.

16 and 17?  Allowing minors to drink alcohol is an extremely scary notion. I prefer 21 to be the age, as it has been since the 1984 bill did with the highway standards. But this needs to be a regional thing, and I support allowing the regions to choose between 18 and 21, with 21 being the standard. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 04:02:44 AM »

Seriously? I wrote this damn bill forever ago as a Senator, and now I will (hopefully) finally be invloved in the House vote? Tongue
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2016, 12:42:13 PM »

Seriously? I wrote this damn bill forever ago as a Senator, and now I will (hopefully) finally be invloved in the House vote? Tongue

Just for you, Goldwater!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »

I support having the age be 18.  I don't like the system we have where it seems like each birthday you become eligible for some random new thing.  Once you're old enough to be an adult, you should be old enough to purchase alcohol.  Plus, it might help cut down on some off the shady stuff that goes on at colleges since people won't have to worry about being arrested for doing things most of them all do anyway.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2016, 01:26:30 AM »

16 and 17?  Allowing minors to drink alcohol is an extremely scary notion. I prefer 21 to be the age, as it has been since the 1984 bill did with the highway standards. But this needs to be a regional thing, and I support allowing the regions to choose between 18 and 21, with 21 being the standard. 

You make it sound as if I'm suggesting a complimentary bar in every elementary school. Tongue

Consider this, House: we already let people in their upper teens drive machines that regularly go 20 times as fast as nature intended people to move at over 10 times the weight and cause over 30,000 deaths a year nationally. And they already drink a lot: 11% of all national alcohol consumption is underage. These laws don't do much to keep people from drinking, yet do a hell of a lot to make people paranoid of getting arrested, as Siren said.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2016, 10:06:44 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

It is sad that regularly updated noticeboards became a lost science after the reset (well even before that at times). It does so much to ensure bill resolution and certainly to avoid both bills and amendments to bills being lost.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »

You make it sound as if I'm suggesting a complimentary bar in every elementary school. Tongue

Devil rum shall indeed destroy A-murica! Tongue

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »

I've always thought that a uniform age of 18 works well; in my own experience you have a year or so drinking in secret, and then by the time you're 18 you actually become more responsible and start going to pubs/having it with meals etc (I feel like I have no right to talk about licensing ages since I'm from the binge drinking capital of the World, combined with being a student)

Anyway what I argued for in the Senate many moons ago was for a federal minimum of 18, with allowances for raising the age to 21 if regions/states wished to (but wouldn't because 21 is a stupidly high age)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »

I've always thought that a uniform age of 18 works well; in my own experience you have a year or so drinking in secret, and then by the time you're 18 you actually become more responsible and start going to pubs/having it with meals etc (I feel like I have no right to talk about licensing ages since I'm from the binge drinking capital of the World, combined with being a student)

Anyway what I argued for in the Senate many moons ago was for a federal minimum of 18, with allowances for raising the age to 21 if regions/states wished to (but wouldn't because 21 is a stupidly high age)

Yeah, I'm thinking that what this bill should be at this point to TBH. A drinking age of 16 just doesn't seem to be politically viable.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »

Really?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

As I have been talking about this, I think (hope) we can agree that the regions should be able to decide within a minimum. Me and Leinad agreed that the federal should be in between (his of course supporting 16-21, mine 18-21).

Therefore I propose this amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »

Really, if we are going to make 18 the lowest possible minimum age, I would prefer that to just be federal one, and allow each region to raise it up to 21 should they so desire.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »

Really, if we are going to make 18 the lowest possible minimum age, I would prefer that to just be federal one, and allow each region to raise it up to 21 should they so desire.

They also have the complete discretion to lower it to 18. I think keeping it in the middle, as to support full regional choice, should be supported, as this amendment does.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

Really?

Well; Europe Tongue

I'm still in agreement with Goldwater here; with this bill I assume every region would just slam on the gas and move the age down to 18
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 11:04:58 PM »

Okay, opened this up for a 24-hour amendment vote.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 01:07:54 AM »

NAY
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon