Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 10:29:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters  (Read 1315 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:05:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/216419
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »

Well, if you aren't successfully courting American voters in America, you might as well try something else.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »

Yeah, but they're educated so Trump doesn't stand a chance.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »

He may was well try, but I am not convinced that the Jewish Diaspora is really going to add any significant net vote gain (And could potentially be a net negative vote gain), let alone flip any swing states.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »

Other than the David Duke endorsement, the Schmitz appointment, and the extremely vocal and particularly nasty portion of Trump's alt-right fanbase (the type who use triple parentheses) why not? Not like he has anything to lose here.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »

We need to end worldwide taxation and disenfranchise non-resident citizens who've been out of the country more than 5 years.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »

For some reason, I think Israeli Americans are gonna trend against Trump this time.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »

And zero Electoral College votes. Good job.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »

We need to end worldwide taxation and disenfranchise non-resident citizens who've been out of the country more than 5 years.

Yes, we get it; you can't win elections without kicking off as many voters from the rolls as possible.  Snore.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 07:07:06 PM »

And zero Electoral College votes. Good job.

It doesn't work that way.  Expatriates can generally vote in federal elections in the state they were last resident.  So if they used to live in Broward County, Florida, they can vote by absentee in Florida.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »

Yes, we get it; you can't win elections without kicking off as many voters from the rolls as possible.  Snore.
Uh... non-resident voting is incompatible with jus soli citizenship. You choose one or the other. Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »

Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 07:18:10 PM »

Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.
Considering I'm a citizen of three different countries... Roll Eyes
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.

So what?  Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »

So what?  Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
That is some great logic. I'm glad you're in the right party.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.

Can you vote in three different countries?

Not being sarcastic, just trying to understand how all this works.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »

So what?  Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
That is some great logic. I'm glad you're in the right party.

Where's the logic in your claims?  You aren't the only person who is a citizen of three countries.  Maybe I know more about this than you think.

Now, while it might be unusual for someone in your position to hold this view, it does not make it therefore correct.  That seems to be the argument you are making.  It's weak.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »

Israeli politicians were one of the batches that Trump tried to get money out of for his campaign... so why not?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »

Last I heard, TRUMP VODKA was only still on the market in Israel, by the way - so if his vodka is as terrible as everything else he does, maybe he loses this critical swing bloc!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »

I don't think American citizens abroad shouldn't be able to vote in an American election unless they maintain a residence in the United States.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »

Can you vote in three different countries?

Not being sarcastic, just trying to understand how all this works.
No, I've been disenfranchised by both Canada and the UK.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:35 PM »

Lololol. I wonder if some of my relatives will be convinced to do this. About half my extended family lives in Israel, with a 1/3rd of those being Americans.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »

Uh... non-resident voting is incompatible with jus soli citizenship. You choose one or the other. Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.

The second America forces everyone to get an ID and keep it up to date, while making it super easy to get an ID, is when I'll support that. We don't actually need ID checks for voting - in-person voter fraud is so rare that it's practically an urban legend, and there are better, less-restrictive ways to prevent in-person fraud rather than voter ID. Sheesh, for all the time spent arguing about ID checks, it's amazing how so many folks don't bother to think outside the box and perhaps consider ways to prevent in-person fraud without disenfranchising millions who lack IDs.

As for non-resident restrictions, well, I have no idea why you think this is necessary. This just seems like some arbitrary restriction Republicans are renowned for. One that serves no legitimate purpose other than to impose self-indulged principles on other people, such as "well if they want to vote they should live HERE." Why does it bother you that American citizens who live abroad can vote?

It's so easy for people who have no issues getting an ID, or live domestically, to casually say "we need these restrictions!", yet chances are if the shoe was on the other foot, they'd be crying a whole different story. Don't take your rights for granted and be respectful to other peoples rights.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 07:40:40 PM »

It's so easy for people who have no issues getting an ID, or live domestically, to casually say "we need these restrictions!", yet chances are if the shoe was on the other foot, they'd be crying a whole different story. Don't take your rights for granted and be respectful to other peoples rights.

Thank you.  Santander seems to think that because a couple of countries have this regressive policy, everyone else should, too.  I bet non-residents being disenfranchised during the Brexit vote was of great help to selfish nationalists like Santander.

If every country followed the UK's lead, then people like me - someone who has lived in my country of residence for nearly 12 years but am ineligible for citizenship due to not earning enough money, a crucial element that also prohibits me from moving - would not have a voice anywhere, at all.  I cherish my right to vote in the US.  I would never give it up.

We can't all be as rich and lucky as Santander.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »

As for non-resident restrictions, well, I have no idea why you think this is necessary. This just seems like some arbitrary restriction Republicans are renowned for. One that serves no legitimate purpose other than to impose self-indulged principles on other people, such as "well if they want to vote they should live HERE." Why does it bother you that American citizens who live abroad can vote?
Considering this country was founded upon not allowing people living in distant lands to decide what goes on in this country, I think it's far from arbitrary. In addition, they get to vote in their old Congressional districts, not even some generic non-resident-citizen constituency. If Presidential elections were based on popular vote, I might support it, but non-resident voting is incompatible with the Electoral College.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies