Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:25:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters  (Read 1356 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: August 21, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »

We need to end worldwide taxation and disenfranchise non-resident citizens who've been out of the country more than 5 years.

Yes, we get it; you can't win elections without kicking off as many voters from the rolls as possible.  Snore.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »

Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »

Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.
Considering I'm a citizen of three different countries... Roll Eyes

So what?  Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.
Considering I'm a citizen of three different countries... Roll Eyes

So what?  Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
That is some great logic. I'm glad you're in the right party.

Where's the logic in your claims?  You aren't the only person who is a citizen of three countries.  Maybe I know more about this than you think.

Now, while it might be unusual for someone in your position to hold this view, it does not make it therefore correct.  That seems to be the argument you are making.  It's weak.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »

Last I heard, TRUMP VODKA was only still on the market in Israel, by the way - so if his vodka is as terrible as everything else he does, maybe he loses this critical swing bloc!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:40:40 PM »

It's so easy for people who have no issues getting an ID, or live domestically, to casually say "we need these restrictions!", yet chances are if the shoe was on the other foot, they'd be crying a whole different story. Don't take your rights for granted and be respectful to other peoples rights.

Thank you.  Santander seems to think that because a couple of countries have this regressive policy, everyone else should, too.  I bet non-residents being disenfranchised during the Brexit vote was of great help to selfish nationalists like Santander.

If every country followed the UK's lead, then people like me - someone who has lived in my country of residence for nearly 12 years but am ineligible for citizenship due to not earning enough money, a crucial element that also prohibits me from moving - would not have a voice anywhere, at all.  I cherish my right to vote in the US.  I would never give it up.

We can't all be as rich and lucky as Santander.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »

If you've lived outside the country for the better part of a decade, I would question your vestiture in daily American life.

And if you support Donald Trump, I would question your patriotism.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »

I normally don't respond as I am about to here.  There are lots of folks I find obnoxious here that I will suffer and respond to as factually as I can.  But judging from your last few posts, you may be the most over-the-top irrational in this forum, regardless of party or ideology.

Hogwash.  What's over-the-top is plotting to disenfranchise large numbers of people.  What's irrational is cheerleading the candidacy of a man who tries to manipulate the electorate through fear and bigotry.  What's patriotic is standing strong against hate, against voter disenfranchisement, and against the politics of fear and division.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:28 PM »

Pretty much all Americans who live abroad full-time are wealthy, highly skilled workers employed by multinational corporations. You don't have blue-collar Americans going to do entry-level work in Europe or Asia and wiring money back home to the folks in Kentucky.

The big difference is that if you're an American and live elsewhere, you made a conscious choice to do so. You weren't emigrating to support your poor, starving family or flee political or religious persecution. Most American ex-pats are members of the "global elite" who pretty much already have likeminded elected officials in any country they go to whether they can vote or not.

None of that is necessarily true of every American abroad and it shouldn't just be assumed in conjunction with an effort to delegitimize the right of citizens to vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies