Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump courting American voters in Israel; estimated 300,000 voters  (Read 1345 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 21, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »

He may was well try, but I am not convinced that the Jewish Diaspora is really going to add any significant net vote gain (And could potentially be a net negative vote gain), let alone flip any swing states.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »

Every other developed country in the world has voter ID and restrictions on non-resident citizen voting. The problem in America is the draconian worldwide taxation scheme that allows non-residents to justify voting.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.  Plenty of countries allow and some even encourage non-resident citizens to vote.  But facts are irrelevant, since clearly your intention is to shrink the voter pool and increase the likelihood of nationalists succeeding.  Petty - and sad.
Considering I'm a citizen of three different countries... Roll Eyes

Can you vote in three different countries?

Not being sarcastic, just trying to understand how all this works.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »

Lololol. I wonder if some of my relatives will be convinced to do this. About half my extended family lives in Israel, with a 1/3rd of those being Americans.

If they are American citizens than obviously they should be allowed to cast their votes in Presidential Elections, as well as statewide elections potentially based upon their previous states of residency/ US Driver Licenses....

OT: But I had two nieces that lived in Israel over the past five years, and absolutely they should be able to vote in Presidential Elections as all Ex-Pats can. I have a younger sister who has been living in the UK for 10 years with residency and work permits, who can't vote in the UK, but as an American Citizen should be able to vote in America.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why any American citizen living overseas, regardless of the time that they have lived in another country, should not be allowed to vote in US Presidential Elections.

Now, my orthodox Jewish nieces were both Obama supporters when they lived in Israel, but it doesn't matter (They could have just as easily been McCain or Romney voters) when it comes to American citizens living abroad having the right to vote, it should be allowed in all cases unless the citizen decides to become a citizen of another country,
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 09:57:35 PM »

Uh, American certainly isn't the only country that grants non-resident expats voting rights. My Mom is able to vote in Mexican elections and the last time she lived in Mexico was in 1992. Considering that she sends remittances to family members, owns a house in Mexico, paid taxes for quite a while and is entitled to her public pension, she ought to be entitled to vote in Mexican elections.

I'll note that most migrant-sending countries grant non-resident expats voting rights and that this is for a reason. Those who emigrate elsewhere are never fully removed from the communities and families of their country of origin. They usually have a stake in their former home. The idea that someone has to physically live somewhere in order to participate in the democratic process is far-fetched garbage that only a juvenile fool who's detached from the realities of adulthood would propagate.

This
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies