Can Trump win CT?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:05:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Can Trump win CT?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Can Trump win CT?  (Read 2687 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »

Of course it's possible. There is a model for a state-wide win in Connecticut by Republicans.  It's not likely that Trump will execute it.

Republicans haven't won CT since 1988.

MI & PA also.

And neither are in play, so what is your point?

My point is that Trump will win where most are not expecting.

You really need to temper your expectations... it's called hope-dicting.

No, because Connecticut is a solidly Democratic state, and Trump is a terrible candidate. You can pretty much rule out any state Obama won by more than 6 or 7.

Okay.. Why is he holding rallies there then?

Because the Trump campaign has no idea what they're doing and Donald wants to get home for dinner.

Of course it's possible. There is a model for a state-wide win in Connecticut by Republicans.  It's not likely that Trump will execute it.

Thanks for the great input as usual.

It's so sweet that you two have each other.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »

No, because Connecticut is a solidly Democratic state, and Trump is a terrible candidate. You can pretty much rule out any state Obama won by more than 6 or 7.

Same reason he's holding rallies in a state like MS, which he obviously won't lose. Attention.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »

No, no, and no.

Also, stop posting threads so quickly, you know people don't like it, so why continue?

Because I can, and I'd like input on this. I am entitled to my opinions as everyone else is on here. Just because i'm not a liberal or bashing Trump constantly, doesn't mean I can't post.

There is only one poster with 7 threads on the first page of this board. It's you. And it doesn't help that all your questions are redundant and unnecessary and that you don't seem very smart.

Take it from the kid who's 5 years younger than you.

It doesn't matter, if I was a red avatar I'd be allowed to post whatever I'd like. Most of the users here are closed minded liberals anyway so I'm not sure why I bother asking a legitimate question. Maybe you should stop telling me what to do and respect your elders.

I'm going to give you a tip. If you start a thread like this, try actually laying out what your position is. What do you see as Trump's potential strengths? What do you see as Trump's potential weaknesses? Do you see any comparable races in the past that you are basing this on? Try to actually have some degree of depth to the thread you are starting, rather than relying on everyone else to add depth to a conversation that they don't think is particularly interesting. Otherwise, you're going to be looked at as someone mindlessly spamming and adding nothing of value.
[/quote

I'd rather not state my positions and let others figure it out for themselves. It's to inspire varying points of view.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »

Of course it's possible. There is a model for a state-wide win in Connecticut by Republicans.  It's not likely that Trump will execute it.

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

The basis that he is not a conventional politician.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »

Because he has no idea how to run a general election campaign since he has never been a candidate for elective office at any level before, and because the staff members he listens most closely to have decidedly little experience as well.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »

No, no, and no.

Also, stop posting threads so quickly, you know people don't like it, so why continue?

Because I can, and I'd like input on this. I am entitled to my opinions as everyone else is on here. Just because i'm not a liberal or bashing Trump constantly, doesn't mean I can't post.

There is only one poster with 7 threads on the first page of this board. It's you. And it doesn't help that all your questions are redundant and unnecessary and that you don't seem very smart.

It doesn't matter, if I was a red avatar I'd be allowed to post whatever I'd like. Most of the users here are closed minded liberals anyway so I'm not sure why I bother asking a legitimate question. Maybe you should stop telling me what to do and respect your elders.

Except that nobody else is creating the amount of threads that you are!

Also: "respect your elders" is the best comeback you got? Real clever.

I am allowed to post as much as I can, and I will start a megathread.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »

Of course it's possible. There is a model for a state-wide win in Connecticut by Republicans.  It's not likely that Trump will execute it.

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

That... I can't with this. I think you need a new hobby.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 09:30:08 PM »

MI & PA also.

You really need to temper your expectations... it's called hope-dicting.

Because the Trump campaign has no idea what they're doing and Donald wants to get home for dinner.

Thanks for the great input as usual.

It's so sweet that you two have each other.

That's about all we have. Since it is predominantly liberal here and others are Republican in name only.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2016, 09:30:31 PM »

No, no, and no.

I'm going to give you a tip. If you start a thread like this, try actually laying out what your position is. What do you see as Trump's potential strengths? What do you see as Trump's potential weaknesses? Do you see any comparable races in the past that you are basing this on? Try to actually have some degree of depth to the thread you are starting, rather than relying on everyone else to add depth to a conversation that they don't think is particularly interesting. Otherwise, you're going to be looked at as someone mindlessly spamming and adding nothing of value.

I'd rather not state my positions and let others figure it out for themselves. It's to inspire varying points of view.

And clearly you are having tremendous success in starting valuable conversations.

/sarcasm
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

He barely has any ground operation in swing states like FL and some how he is going to pull off victories in places like MI, PA, and CT?

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »

This guy's a troll, not the well meaning naive lad so many seem to think he is. He's not worth feeding.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2016, 09:33:05 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

I think you need to reevaluate the candidate who you are supporting as does everyone else.

I don't think Hillary is perfect, but I've never felt the repulsion toward a candidate and campaign as I do Donald Trump.

This guy's a troll, not the well meaning naive lad so many seem to think he is. He's not worth feeding.

Yeah, it's pretty clear now. Onto ignore you go and I urge others to do the same.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 09:33:32 PM »

I'm obviously not a troll. I have questions that deserve an answer and would like to provide insight to the closed mindedness that I have witnessed.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

His unconventionalness doesn't matter if the electorate looks anything like a conventional electorate. If anything that makes highly-conventional states like Connecticut more difficult for Trump. Maybe it gives him an edge in states like Alaska or Montana that have a reputation for being eccentric or contrarian, but not in the majority of the country.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

I think you need to reevaluate the candidate who you are supporting as does everyone else.

I don't think Hillary is perfect, but I've never felt the repulsion toward a candidate and campaign as I do Donald Trump.

I can understand that.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

His unconventionalness doesn't matter if the electorate looks anything like a conventional electorate. If anything that makes highly-conventional states like Connecticut more difficult for Trump. Maybe it gives him an edge in Alaska or Montana that have a reputation for being eccentric or contrarian, but not in the majority of the country.

Any other states come to mind?
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2016, 09:37:51 PM by Seriously? »

I am well aware the last time Republicans won CT. There's a difference between whether there's a path to victory in Connecticut -- which there is -- and none whatsoever.

Do I think Trump has a chance to win Connecticut? Of the three NYC metro states, CT is most likely. Will he win it? Probably not. You can win a state-wide race in CT as a Republican, but you need everything to go the right way, including in Rockefeller Republican-areas of wealth and education, which are not necessarily Trump's wheelhouse.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »

Connecticut has a Cook PVI of D+7.  So the correct answer is no, unless Trump is winning the election by 10 points or so.  That's not very likely.

The other answer is that it would be nice if the horde of negative nabobs didn't attack new posters for asking questions.  I doubt they'd be attacking a poster if they asked can Clinton win Alaska? - an R+12 state - which is something that has been asked and answered numerous times on this site.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

His unconventionalness doesn't matter if the electorate looks anything like a conventional electorate. If anything that makes highly-conventional states like Connecticut more difficult for Trump. Maybe it gives him an edge in Alaska or Montana that have a reputation for being eccentric or contrarian, but not in the majority of the country.

Maine, maybe? Perhaps Minnesota, given that they once elected a Reform Party governor, though it has been quite a while since that happened, and the state Republican party was not in particularly good shape the last time I heard anything about it. There aren't too many that come to mind, honestly. And even in those two, the natural Democratic electoral advantage in each is hard to overcome; more likely that Trump makes the races a bit closer than usual than that he actually wins them.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

Maine, maybe? Perhaps Minnesota, given that they once elected a Reform Party governor, though it has been quite a while since that happened, and the state Republican party was not in particularly good shape the last time I heard anything about it. There aren't too many that come to mind, honestly. And even in those two, the natural Democratic electoral advantage in each is hard to overcome; more likely that Trump makes the races a bit closer than usual than that he actually wins them.

Best argument I've heard in a while. Not Minnesota though because I feel that he is a poorer fit for the state than Romney, and likely to do better in places like WI or MI.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »

No, no, and no.

Definitely will be missing my posts next week.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 09:47:49 PM »

No, no, and no.

Definitely will be missing my posts next week.

Nobody will be missing your posts. The quality of discussion will be equal, if not higher, without you here. Hopefully you'll learn some at college, though.
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

Best argument I've heard in a while. Not Minnesota though because I feel that he is a poorer fit for the state than Romney, and likely to do better in places like WI or MI.

Agreed on Minnesota, Romney was a better fit there given that it is a relatively well-educated state and those voters have been Trump's weakness. That'll offset whatever benefit he gets from its somewhat idiosyncratic tendencies.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

Agreed on Minnesota, Romney was a better fit there given that it is a relatively well-educated state and those voters have been Trump's weakness. That'll offset whatever benefit he gets from its somewhat idiosyncratic tendencies.

Trump will do better with the working class voters but whatever gains he makes will be offset with the educated vote. So in the end, he does worse in Minnesota with <45%. Maybe slightly better in WI with about 47%. MI would be around 48% or 49% and expecting it to be extremely close due to Trump's reaching out to the AA working class voters, impact on the polling numbers remains to be seen though.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »

MI & PA also.

On what basis?

Trump will do better with the working class voters but whatever gains he makes will be offset with the educated vote. So in the end, he does worse in Minnesota with <45%. Maybe slightly better in WI with about 47%. MI would be around 48% or 49% and expecting it to be extremely close due to Trump's reaching out to the AA working class voters, impact on the polling numbers remains to be seen though.

Trump is going to get crushed in MI.  He's not resonating with blacks and will probably do worse than Romney with them.  He's going to flop in Dearborn, home to America's largest Arab population.  And affluent Oakland County will also be bad for him; even Romney, who was born and raised there, lost the county.  Trump may do better in blue collar Macomb County than Romney but not too much better.

This election is going to be a YUGE win for Hillary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies