New Hampshire 1988-1992
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:05:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  New Hampshire 1988-1992
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Hampshire 1988-1992  (Read 1728 times)
Arbitrage1980
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »

Amazing how big the swing was.  In 1988, HW Bush won New Hampshire by a whopping 26 points over Dukakis; his second best state after Utah.  Just 4 years later, Bill Clinton won the state by 1.2%. Yes, I'm aware of the Perot effect, but that alone doesn't explain such a big swing. And demographically, I imagine the state didn't change too much in 4 years.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:03 PM »

Thats about the time everyone there started becoming angrier.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:48:16 AM »

Thats about the time everyone there started becoming angrier.
Is the state as a whole angry?
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:08:21 AM »

The whole Northeast swung dramatically to Clinton. It was because Clinton's 1992 coalition, mostly in tact as the new Democratic coalition of '08 and '12, encompassed suburban and college-educated whites in areas of the Northeast, Midwest and West coast that were Republican in the 70's and 80's.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »

New Hampshire's economy was hit especially hard by the early 90's recession.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:46 PM »

Oh look, an ACTUAL answer!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:37:32 PM »

That doesn't explain why the state remained Democratic after that, though.

In case you didn't know, the economy was good under the Clinton Administration.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »

That doesn't explain why the state remained Democratic after that, though.

In case you didn't know, the economy was good under the Clinton Administration.

That doesn't explain why the state remained Democratic after 2000.

Perhaps because the unemployment rate in NH nearly doubled from 2000 to 2002, and barely came back down by 2004. Maybe they decided after that they trust Democrats more on the economy than Republicans.

Who knew you could explain electoral trends with facts rather than baseless misogyny.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:07:57 PM »

It's not misogyny to point out that a state is solidly Democratic at the federal level (which is what you say about basically every swing state, btw). And in the case of NH, that is clearly the case.

I never said Arizona or Georgia were solidly Democratic. As for PA, WI, and MI, I never thought those were swing states to begin with.

Perhaps because the unemployment rate in NH nearly doubled from 2000 to 2002, and barely came back down by 2004. Maybe they decided after that they trust Democrats more on the economy than Republicans.

Who knew you could explain electoral trends with facts rather than baseless misogyny.

Well then...

I was clearly talking about the employment statistics.

Also, New England is extremely secular compared to the nation. Over the past 35 years or so, the GOP has made it a point to consolidate the Evangelicals as a voting bloc, which possibly alienated the traditional Republican base in states like Vermont and New Hampshire. Have you ever thought about that?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »

It's not misogyny to point out that a state is solidly Democratic at the federal level (which is what you say about basically every swing state, btw). And in the case of NH, that is clearly the case.

I never said Arizona or Georgia were solidly Democratic. As for PA, WI, and MI, I never thought those were swing states to begin with.

Well then...

I was clearly talking about the employment statistics.

Also, New England is extremely secular compared to the nation. Over the past 35 years or so, the GOP has made it a point to consolidate the Evangelicals as a voting bloc, which possibly alienated the traditional Republican base in states like Vermont and New Hampshire. Have you ever thought about that?

Except TN is not a republican he thinks Carter is better then Reagan and Bush Sr , and maybe even with Obama . TN probably is never Clinton democrat
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:21 PM »

Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine all used to be reliably Republican, but that very quickly changed in the 90s.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:30 PM »

Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine all used to be reliably Republican, but that very quickly changed in the 90s.
ME-02 is returning to swing district status.... and that's it! I'd say the women in the state got REALLY angry after the 2002 and 2004 Senate elections, when two Democratic women lost to two Republican men. Then it really started to change.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »

ME-02 is returning to swing district status.... and that's it! I'd say the women in the state got REALLY angry after the 2002 and 2004 Senate elections, when two Democratic women lost to two Republican men. Then it really started to change.

It doesn't seem likely or logical to me that female voters in these states felt personally offended by electoral losses by female Democratic senators and thus are angry at the GOP because of it. Women support Democrats by larger margins than men in every state in the country; your explanation doesn't make sense.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 10:45:09 PM »

I'm not yet buying ME-02 trending Republican. It didn't show any kind of trend like that in recent elections. I guess we'll know more after this election. I think that part of the 1992 re-alignment was states with a lot of progressives (WA, OR, VT, NH, and ME) moving into the Democratic column. The flip side was states that are more socially conservative (AR, TN, KY, WV, and eventually MO) moved solidly into the Republican column starting in 2000.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 02:10:13 AM »

1992 was a Realigning election , where the Pacific States and New England, and most of the midwest go democratic, while the South , Mountain West go Republican, making the elections be decided by a few swing states
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

I'm not yet buying ME-02 trending Republican. It didn't show any kind of trend like that in recent elections. I guess we'll know more after this election. I think that part of the 1992 re-alignment was states with a lot of progressives (WA, OR, VT, NH, and ME) moving into the Democratic column. The flip side was states that are more socially conservative (AR, TN, KY, WV, and eventually MO) moved solidly into the Republican column starting in 2000.

Obama's coalition is basically the Clinton coalition minus appalachian states (probably due to racism).  Knott County in KY voted for Democrats in EVERY single election from 1852 until 2008, when it swung decisively to McCain. 
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »

Obama's coalition is basically the Clinton coalition minus appalachian states (probably due to racism).  Knott County in KY voted for Democrats in EVERY single election from 1852 until 2008, when it swung decisively to McCain. 
Yeah but Gore and Kerry didn't win the Appalachin States though and Hillary isn't gonna win them either.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »

Yeah but Gore and Kerry didn't win the Appalachin States though and Hillary isn't gonna win them either.

True; Gore and Kerry did lose those states.  I should've been more specific: the appalachian states were pretty much the only region where Obama did worse in 2008 than Gore/Kerry.  This is odd given that it was a very anti-GOP year. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies