HuffPo: "Kirk Says President Obama Is ‘Acting Like The Drug Dealer In Chief"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:04:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HuffPo: "Kirk Says President Obama Is ‘Acting Like The Drug Dealer In Chief"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HuffPo: "Kirk Says President Obama Is ‘Acting Like The Drug Dealer In Chief"  (Read 1377 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:31 AM »

RIP Kirk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-kirk-drug-dealer-in-chief_us_57ba65bee4b03d5136892f4f?section=&

"On Twitter, a number of people called out Kirk for using racially charged language to insult the president."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:50:26 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:47 AM »

RIP Kirk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-kirk-drug-dealer-in-chief_us_57ba65bee4b03d5136892f4f?section=&

"On Twitter, a number of people called out Kirk for using racially charged language to insult the president."

It's an exceedingly stupid analogy, but "racially charged language"?  What is the p.c. term for someone who deals drugs?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:15:34 AM »

RIP Kirk.

It's an exceedingly stupid analogy, but "racially charged language"?  What is the p.c. term for someone who deals drugs?

Well, my take on it is that a black president is being associated to drug dealing by analogy, which reinforces stereotypical perceptions along racial lines.

It's not about the term in itself, but rather how it was used to create an exceedingly ignorant (at the very least) and reckless comment about the President.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:44 AM »

RIP Kirk.

It's an exceedingly stupid analogy, but "racially charged language"?  What is the p.c. term for someone who deals drugs?

Street Pharmacologist. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 01:42:14 AM »

RIP Kirk.

Oh, you know better than to assume that the terminology is what this is about. Drugs have nothing at all to do with the case at hand. Picking "drug dealer" has no sense or relevance if it isn't a dog whistle because the president is black.

That aside, I've liked Tammy Duckworth since she first got into Illinois politics, so any nail in Kirk's coffin (and I can't imagine this will fly super well in IL) is just fine by me.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:20:52 AM »

This comment isn't much, but Kirk has a long history of making statements like this. Remember the comment about driving faster in black neighborhoods?
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:45:17 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvJaYxRoB4
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »

He's just asking to get Santorum'd.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »

There’s already a thread in the US General section.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »

Kirk might not be a racist but he is certainly a moron.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 09:44:46 AM »

Don't want to be an asshole, but seems like the poor guy's stroke really knocked out a lot of brain cells.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »

Kirk is a terrible human being and my least favorite Republican Senator, so yeah, I don't really care if Duckworth beats him.
I'd say he's now less likely to win than Johnson (but both are toast at this point I guess). Republicans should focus on NV, IN, PA, and FL primarily at this point. That would make the Senate 52-48.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »

RIP Kirk.

It's an exceedingly stupid analogy, but "racially charged language"?  What is the p.c. term for someone who deals drugs?

Well, my take on it is that a black president is being associated to drug dealing by analogy, which reinforces stereotypical perceptions along racial lines.

It's not about the term in itself, but rather how it was used to create an exceedingly ignorant (at the very least) and reckless comment about the President.

Yeah, I can see "reinforcing stereotypical perceptions along racial lines."  Though I'd argue insisting any mention of "drug dealers" must necessarily be a racial reference also does that to some degree.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »

Kirk seems to have become tired of being a senator and no longer wants to win. This is quite contrast with his recent behavior where it seemed he was trying to pretend that he was actually a Democrat in disguise.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »

Kirk seems to have become tired of being a senator and no longer wants to win. This is quite contrast with his recent behavior where it seemed he was trying to pretend that he was actually a Democrat in disguise.

I think retiring would be less painful and embrassing way out, but he missed that.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

At least he didn't tell blatant lies for political gain.

He was referring to the fact that Obama paying the ransom is like paying money like a drug dealer for protection
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »

Sure to go over well in the home state
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:46 PM »

At least he didn't tell blatant lies for political gain.

He was referring to the fact that Obama paying the ransom is like paying money like a drug dealer for protection
Hmm, I hadn't seen that news before. Very disappointing and unacceptable by Duckworth. I still reject the notion that Kirk's attack is acceptable or doesn't appeal to racist dogwhistling (if only by accident, though I question that).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »

Kirk sure does love putting his foot in his mouth.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »

Go home Mark Kirk, you're drunk.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »

Ever since his stroke, he has had no filter.  His staff tries to keep him away from the mic as much as possible.

He still votes the right way though, and that's what matters most.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies