Who will be the Presidential Debate moderators?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:42:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will be the Presidential Debate moderators?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who will be the Presidential Debate moderators?  (Read 2795 times)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 10:37:58 PM »

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 08:23:47 PM »

I don't know, but I hope they're unbiased. More Jim Lehrer, less Candy Crowley.

Jim Lehrer was pretty universally agreed to have done a terrible job at the 1st 2012 debate.
I don't understand why.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 08:30:48 PM »

I want Candy just to f*** with the GOP.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 08:53:38 PM »

Jim Lehrer was pretty universally agreed to have done a terrible job at the 1st 2012 debate.

Really .... I always thought he did a good job.
Dry .... but fair and to the point.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »

Really .... I always thought he did a good job.
Dry .... but fair and to the point.

The criticism was that he didn't ask specific enough questions  (which I get, his first question was basically "tell me your jobs plan". Another was "tell me your SS reform plan") and couldn't keep the candidates from talking over him and ignoring the time limits.

The CPD put out a statement afterward saying they were fine with it, but basically everyone disagreed.
F_S_USATN

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/24/media/debate-moderators/index.html

The Commission on Presidential Debates had planned to announce moderators in late August, but it now intends to wait until after September 5, the sources said.

The delay is due in part to an unprecedented challenge the bipartisan Commission faces in selecting individuals who are immune (or at least as immune as possible) to accusations of bias.

One source said that Charlie Rose was unlikely to be selected because a 2012 Wall Street Journal report placed him and the Clintons in a "close group" of celebrities and political figures who spent a Christmas vacation at Oscar De La Renta's house in the Dominican Republic.

The Commission is also likely to pass over any television personality who has had a dust-up with either candidate.

Megyn Kelly has been one of the most prominent media personalities in the 2016 cycle because of her public spat with Trump, she will almost certainly not be invited to moderate a debate for exactly that reason.

the Commission is handicapped by the absence of Jim Lehrer and Bob Schieffer, Both men retired from moderating debates after the 2012 cycle
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »

Ugh. I liked Schieffer and would have loved to see him moderate again.

They should go with Anderson Cooper, Martha Raddatz, Bret Baier (test Clinton's willingness to debate), and Rachel Maddow (test Trump's willingness to debate)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2016, 05:16:32 PM by Mr. Morden »

They should go with Anderson Cooper, Martha Raddatz, Bret Baier (test Clinton's willingness to debate), and Rachel Maddow (test Trump's willingness to debate)

I doubt anyone from Fox News Channel or MSNBC is going to be picked.  It'll probably be something like Dickerson, Raddatz, someone from PBS (either Woodruff or Ifill), and then the last one will be either from NBC (Chuck Todd maybe?) or CNN (?).

We will probably have two male and two female moderators from among the four debates (3 presidential + 1 VP debate).
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »

I would prefer people who won't be pushovers when Trump inevitably tries to grandstand, but I think Raddatz and John Dickerson will moderate the two conventional debates, and Cooper will do the town hall. Gwen Ifill moderating the VP debate wouldn't surprise me either. Just a guess.

Candy Crowley deserves to moderate another debate, but Republicans will throw a huge tantrum.

Bret Baier and Rachel Maddow will never happen even though they would probably moderate just fine.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »

What Candy Crowley did in 2012 is really disqualifying. Fact-Checking is for the other candidate to do or for the media to do AFTER THE DEBATE. As the moderator, your job is to ask questions and keep a hold on answer time. Your job is not to try to "gotcha" a given candidate. And I don't care that Crowley said a sentence favorable to Romney right after the one that was favorable to Obama, because the one that was favorable to Obama was what everyone actually remembered.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 10:20:09 PM »

As a conservative, I think Rachel Maddow could make a great moderator.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 10:33:58 PM »

What Candy Crowley did in 2012 is really disqualifying. Fact-Checking is for the other candidate to do or for the media to do AFTER THE DEBATE. As the moderator, your job is to ask questions and keep a hold on answer time. Your job is not to try to "gotcha" a given candidate. And I don't care that Crowley said a sentence favorable to Romney right after the one that was favorable to Obama, because the one that was favorable to Obama was what everyone actually remembered.

It wasn't a "gotcha" give me a break. Romney tried pushing the republican talking point that Obama didn't call it an act of terror, but he so clearly did, and then Obama responded with the famous "Please proceed, Governor" and Romney deservedly looked like a fool.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »

It wasn't a "gotcha" give me a break. Romney tried pushing the republican talking point that Obama didn't call it an act of terror, but he so clearly did, and then Obama responded with the famous "Please proceed, Governor" and Romney deservedly looked like a fool.

Exactly. Romney was already in a bad moment, and Candy just had to rub it in. It's unacceptable. I'd feel the same way if a similar thing happened to Obama.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »

Exactly. Romney was already in a bad moment, and Candy just had to rub it in. It's unacceptable. I'd feel the same way if a similar thing happened to Obama.

I doubt you would have. I think fact-checking SHOULD happen in debates, otherwise they're just a series of speeches. If a candidate lies or gets something wrong, they should be called out.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 08:29:29 PM »

I doubt you would have. I think fact-checking SHOULD happen in debates, otherwise they're just a series of speeches. If a candidate lies or gets something wrong, they should be called out.

The other candidates should do it, but the moderator should not. Allowing the moderator to do so simply invites them to attempt to boost their preferred candidate.
F_S_USATN

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »

Anderson Cooper (CNN)   34%
Megyn Kelly (FOX)           25%
Chris Wallace (FOX)           22%
Bob Schieffer (CBS)           17%
Lester Holt (NBC)           16%
Wolf Blitzer (CNN)           16%
Neil Cavuto (FOX)           12%
Bret Baier (FOX)           11%
Other                           11%
Rachel Maddow (MSNBC)   10%

per Morning Consult poll
https://morningconsult.com/2016/08/29/2016-debate-moderators-anderson-cooper/

Its funny that 2 out of the top 4 have already been ruled out. And I wonder if Lester Holt's good showing is in part because he was mentioned by Trump on the Hugh Hewitt show.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2016, 03:16:37 PM »

Anderson Cooper (CNN)   34%
Megyn Kelly (FOX)           25%
Chris Wallace (FOX)           22%
Bob Schieffer (CBS)           17%
Lester Holt (NBC)           16%
Wolf Blitzer (CNN)           16%
Neil Cavuto (FOX)           12%
Bret Baier (FOX)           11%
Other                           11%
Rachel Maddow (MSNBC)   10%

per Morning Consult poll
https://morningconsult.com/2016/08/29/2016-debate-moderators-anderson-cooper/

Its funny that 2 out of the top 4 have already been ruled out. And I wonder if Lester Holt's good showing is in part because he was mentioned by Trump on the Hugh Hewitt show.
What candidates have been ruled out?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cheesy
I'd like her to be moderator as well.
F_S_USATN

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »

Kelly is all but ruled out after the spat with Trump and Scheiffer retired from moderating after the '12 cycle.

Articles I'm reading seem to think that next week sometime is when they will be released. Gotta think it will be 2 male and 2 female.

Some combination of Holt, Cooper, Dickerson, Raddatz, Woodruff, Ifil would be my guess for the finalists.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »

Kelly is all but ruled out after the spat with Trump and Scheiffer retired from moderating after the '12 cycle.

Articles I'm reading seem to think that next week sometime is when they will be released. Gotta think it will be 2 male and 2 female.

Some combination of Holt, Cooper, Dickerson, Raddatz, Woodruff, Ifil would be my guess for the finalists.
Thanks.

I have just realised, that the first debate will happen in just 4 weeks!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 02:50:49 AM »

I don't know, but I hope the Trump camp doesn't allow liberals like Anderson Cooper or many of the myriad of former Clinton administration folks masquerading as "journalists" moderate a thing and insists on Chris Wallace or Bret Baier or someone from Fox to moderate one of the four debates.

You don't want a biased moderator so you pick someone from Fox?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »

I don't know, but I hope the Trump camp doesn't allow liberals like Anderson Cooper or many of the myriad of former Clinton administration folks masquerading as "journalists" moderate a thing and insists on Chris Wallace or Bret Baier or someone from Fox to moderate one of the four debates.

LOL!

Sorry, but the irony in this post is too much not to laugh at.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »

Anderson Cooper did a pretty good job moderating one of the Democratic debates.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »

Milo Yiannopolous
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star