Who will be the Presidential Debate moderators? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:47:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will be the Presidential Debate moderators? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who will be the Presidential Debate moderators?  (Read 2807 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: August 22, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »

I don't know, but I hope the Trump camp doesn't allow liberals like Anderson Cooper or many of the myriad of former Clinton administration folks masquerading as "journalists" moderate a thing and insists on Chris Wallace or Bret Baier or someone from Fox to moderate one of the four debates.

Anderson Cooper is a liberal yes, but I've never gotten the impression that he's particularly partisan as a debate moderator.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »

I don't know, but I hope they're unbiased. More Jim Lehrer, less Candy Crowley.

Jim Lehrer was pretty universally agreed to have done a terrible job at the 1st 2012 debate.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »

I don't know, but I hope they're unbiased. More Jim Lehrer, less Candy Crowley.

Jim Lehrer was pretty universally agreed to have done a terrible job at the 1st 2012 debate.

Really .... I always thought he did a good job.
Dry .... but fair and to the point.

The criticism was that he didn't ask specific enough questions  (which I get, his first question was basically "tell me your jobs plan". Another was "tell me your SS reform plan") and couldn't keep the candidates from talking over him and ignoring the time limits.

The CPD put out a statement afterward saying they were fine with it, but basically everyone disagreed.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »

Ugh. I liked Schieffer and would have loved to see him moderate again.

They should go with Anderson Cooper, Martha Raddatz, Bret Baier (test Clinton's willingness to debate), and Rachel Maddow (test Trump's willingness to debate)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »

What Candy Crowley did in 2012 is really disqualifying. Fact-Checking is for the other candidate to do or for the media to do AFTER THE DEBATE. As the moderator, your job is to ask questions and keep a hold on answer time. Your job is not to try to "gotcha" a given candidate. And I don't care that Crowley said a sentence favorable to Romney right after the one that was favorable to Obama, because the one that was favorable to Obama was what everyone actually remembered.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »

What Candy Crowley did in 2012 is really disqualifying. Fact-Checking is for the other candidate to do or for the media to do AFTER THE DEBATE. As the moderator, your job is to ask questions and keep a hold on answer time. Your job is not to try to "gotcha" a given candidate. And I don't care that Crowley said a sentence favorable to Romney right after the one that was favorable to Obama, because the one that was favorable to Obama was what everyone actually remembered.

It wasn't a "gotcha" give me a break. Romney tried pushing the republican talking point that Obama didn't call it an act of terror, but he so clearly did, and then Obama responded with the famous "Please proceed, Governor" and Romney deservedly looked like a fool.

Exactly. Romney was already in a bad moment, and Candy just had to rub it in. It's unacceptable. I'd feel the same way if a similar thing happened to Obama.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:29:29 PM »

It wasn't a "gotcha" give me a break. Romney tried pushing the republican talking point that Obama didn't call it an act of terror, but he so clearly did, and then Obama responded with the famous "Please proceed, Governor" and Romney deservedly looked like a fool.

Exactly. Romney was already in a bad moment, and Candy just had to rub it in. It's unacceptable. I'd feel the same way if a similar thing happened to Obama.

I doubt you would have. I think fact-checking SHOULD happen in debates, otherwise they're just a series of speeches. If a candidate lies or gets something wrong, they should be called out.

The other candidates should do it, but the moderator should not. Allowing the moderator to do so simply invites them to attempt to boost their preferred candidate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies