Trump Cancels Portland Oregon Fundraiser and Rally
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:40:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Cancels Portland Oregon Fundraiser and Rally
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump Cancels Portland Oregon Fundraiser and Rally  (Read 1747 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
« edited: August 22, 2016, 04:41:58 PM by NOVA Green »

Donald Trump cancels his fundraiser in Portland, Oregon after top donors pull out, as well as a public rally...

http://www.wweek.com/news/2016/08/20/donald-trump-dumps-portland-cancelling-his-aug-31-fundraiser-and-rally/

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:48:40 PM »

This is the 3rd and 4th event he's canceled today.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:53:37 PM »

Quote from article:

"First, Donald J. Trump lost his Portland donors. Now he's cancelling his Portland fundraiser.

Trump's campaign director tells Oregon Public Broadcasting that he is cancelling his Aug. 31 visit to Portland—where the Republican presidential nominee had planned to hold a private fundraiser and public rally.

Jacob Daniels, Trump's Oregon campaign director, told OPB that Trump cancelled the event because he wants to tour the flooding in Louisiana. But the candidate's Aug. 30 fundraiser in Seattle is still on—and its organizer, former Washington state Sen. Don Benton, sent out a new invitation this morning.

WW reported two weeks ago that the hosts of that Seattle event included three prominent Portland businessmen: Gordon Sondland, Peter Stott, and Bashir Wali.

When their names became public, all three Portlanders disavowed Trump—and the Pacific Northwest's biggest Mitt Romney fundraiser, David Nierenberg, endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The Trump campaign last week hinted it was abandoning plans to rally in Portland, saying it was also considering locations in Southern and Eastern Oregon."
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2016, 05:08:05 PM by NOVA Green »

Something going on there.... is it pulling out of fundraisers in multiple locations because of lack of deep pocket donors, or some type of campaign attempted reboot or shift?

Wouldn't be surprised to see him cancel the upcoming Seattle event as well---- the last one was cancelled because of expected massive demonstrations.

Edited: After reviewing and realizing that my sentence structure was completely off.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

Health concerns?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »

The new theme of his campaign all the way to November, when the voters themselves will say:

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »

Something bigger is going on.
OwlRhetoric

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

Good call. Trump should avoid the heavily left cities after disrupters assaulted and spit on donors in Minneapolis last week at an event that wasn't even public. The violent protesters are just looking for an opportunity to make a scene.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »

Is it his health? Or is Don broke?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »

He also cancelled an event in Nevada on Friday, so something is going on.  He called into fox and friends this am and has been tweeting. He is scheduled to appear on O'Reilly tonight so maybe we will learn more. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »

Good call. Trump should avoid the heavily left cities after disrupters assaulted and spit on donors in Minneapolis last week at an event that wasn't even public. The violent protesters are just looking for an opportunity to make a scene.

Lol, another horrible lime green.
Trapsy

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »

Maybe, They figured that these rallies hurt his image more than they help.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 05:14:41 PM »

Well, I'm not familiar with that incident, and certainly don't condone any type of physical violence including spitting on donors, but I will note that Trump has held events in many left-leaning cities without any type of major incidence.

For example, Eugene Oregon back in May, which is a well known bastion of activist politics going back to the Student Movement of the 1960s where there were demonstrators that prepared for several days ahead of time, went through non-violence civil disobedience training, and actually fairly civil conversations between Trump supporters and Anti-Trump demonstrators outside the event.

If Trump wants to live in a foxhole and avoid entire cities and regions of the country where he is extremely unpopular so be it, but that's not a very effective strategy when you are running for President of the entire United States of America.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »

Schedules change. With Trump mainly based in NY, it takes a lot more effort to do a rally in Oregon or Nevada than a close state on or near the East Coast.

I am sure that they will reschedule at the right time.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »

So much for Little Donny putting the PNW in play.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »

Many people are saying that, many many smart people. I don't know, who knows, but I'm just hearing a lot from some very smart good people that it may be that.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »

Many people are saying that, many many smart people. I don't know, who knows, but I'm just hearing a lot from some very smart good people that it may be that.

I hear that he's worried about his hands being smaller than his face. It's not cancer, but probably something like tuberculosis.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »

Schedules change. With Trump mainly based in NY, it takes a lot more effort to do a rally in Oregon or Nevada than a close state on or near the East Coast.

So your opinion is that it is allocation of scare resources (Trump's time) and more regarding maximizing fundraising than internals in some of these Western States or an attempt to control optics  in the event of demonstrations?

I don't really have a fixed opinion on this yet, but it does seem strange pulling out right after major Republican donors basically dump their party's candidate.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »

It's expensive to fly all the way out there, and Donnie looks to be getting close to broke.  Maybe a 60 day bicycle campaign across WV will fit his budget.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »

It's expensive to fly all the way out there, and Donnie looks to be getting close to broke.  Maybe a 60 day bicycle campaign across WV will fit his budget.

Broke? I thought he has barely spent any of the donation money he has gotten so far.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »

(Laughs loudly in silence)---- sounds like something that he might well say and as I reread am hearing him say those exact lines.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »

To be safe, Trump should cancel all his campaign events until we figure out what's going on.

It's expensive to fly all the way out there, and Donnie looks to be getting close to broke.  Maybe a 60 day bicycle campaign across WV will fit his budget.

Broke? I thought he has barely spent any of the donation money he has gotten so far.

No, he's actually spent a lot of it to fundraise more for his pyramid scheme campaign.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 05:39:07 PM »

He found out that media covered the truth and that a leaked poll from PPP shows him leading in Florida by 74% — the election is over, guys, I'm going home!

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2016, 06:09:30 PM by NOVA Green »

It's expensive to fly all the way out there, and Donnie looks to be getting close to broke.  Maybe a 60 day bicycle campaign across WV will fit his budget.

A modern day variant on a "whistle-stop tour"?

I would definitely suggest starting in flatter terrain and in swing states. Wink

Edited: Deleted original facetious comments, since there is a real question as to why Trump has been changing his schedule so dramatically over the past few days since upheavals in his core campaign team, and I was hoping the thread could have a more serious discussion as to why this recent shift.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Maybe he can hire some illegals to do the biking for him. He can really save some money by making them sleep in ditches and not buying safety equipment.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies