Trump Cancels Portland Oregon Fundraiser and Rally
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:23:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Cancels Portland Oregon Fundraiser and Rally
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump Cancels Portland Oregon Fundraiser and Rally  (Read 1755 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 06:01:11 PM »

Most likely the campaign got together and said "OK, nobody is going anywhere until we know what the plan is on immigration," since there have been conflicting reports internally regarding how they were going to proceed on the policy front.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »

Most likely the campaign got together and said "OK, nobody is going anywhere until we know what the plan is on immigration," since there have been conflicting reports internally regarding how they were going to proceed on the policy front.

If that's really the case, we may never see the Trump campaign again.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »

This is the 3rd and 4th event he's canceled today.
Schedules change. With Trump mainly based in NY, it takes a lot more effort to do a rally in Oregon or Nevada than a close state on or near the East Coast.

I am sure that they will reschedule at the right time.

So your opinion is that it is allocation of scare resources (Trump's time) and more regarding maximizing fundraising than internals in some of these Western States or an attempt to control optics  in the event of demonstrations?

I don't really have a fixed opinion on this yet, but it does seem strange pulling out right after major Republican donors basically dump their party's candidate.
They don't lead in Oregon. They can go out there for money if they want to although it may not be worth it.

Trump, as of now, is scheduled for Akron (today), Austin (tomorrow), Tampa and Jackson, MS (on Wednesday). I think they were going to do a West Coast swing with a policy speech in Vegas then go through Washington State and Oregon. That doesn't make as much sense if you take Vegas out of the mix.

I am sure they'll reassess and figure out the next best time to head out West or perhaps send Pence to do some of those fundraisers. It's not like Trump has a chance in Oregon or Washington to be quite honest.

It's obviously not health-related at this point, if it were, Trump wouldn't be in Ohio tonight.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

Trump is busy this week -- in Ohio today, Texas tomorrow, Mississippi and Florida on Wednesday, so I doubt that's the case.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »

Very low energy move.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »

TRUMP has no chance to win Oregon, so why even campaign there?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »

Why did he campaign in Connecticut?
Why did he send Pence to campaign in New Mexico?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »

This is the 3rd and 4th event he's canceled today.
Schedules change. With Trump mainly based in NY, it takes a lot more effort to do a rally in Oregon or Nevada than a close state on or near the East Coast.

I am sure that they will reschedule at the right time.

So your opinion is that it is allocation of scare resources (Trump's time) and more regarding maximizing fundraising than internals in some of these Western States or an attempt to control optics  in the event of demonstrations?

I don't really have a fixed opinion on this yet, but it does seem strange pulling out right after major Republican donors basically dump their party's candidate.
They don't lead in Oregon. They can go out there for money if they want to although it may not be worth it.

Trump, as of now, is scheduled for Akron (today), Austin (tomorrow), Tampa and Jackson, MS (on Wednesday). I think they were going to do a West Coast swing with a policy speech in Vegas then go through Washington State and Oregon. That doesn't make as much sense if you take Vegas out of the mix.

I am sure they'll reassess and figure out the next best time to head out West or perhaps send Pence to do some of those fundraisers. It's not like Trump has a chance in Oregon or Washington to be quite honest.

It's obviously not health-related at this point, if it were, Trump wouldn't be in Ohio tonight.

That sounds like a very rationale explanation for this recent change in schedule....

My assumption is that the remarks regarding Trump's health were more an attempt to play on his recent insinuations regarding Hillary's health, rather than any actual statements based on fact.

So basically, at this point you're thinking the PacNW is more of a place to potentially bag some dollars if it works into a several day swing, and that the campaign is basically ceding the NW to Clinton without undercutting those supporters within the region?

Pence would probably be a better fit with many West Coast deep-pocket donors, since it is less likely to cause negative perceptions with their fellow business partners, and is not associated with what out here is an extremely toxic brand, even among Republican voters.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »

Good move he can't win there, and he shouldn't be campaigning in Texas and Mississippi he can fundraise but he can hold rallies in Pensacola and Las Vegas instead
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:43 PM »

Why did he campaign in Connecticut?
Why did he send Pence to campaign in New Mexico?

Well in all fairness to Trump, and I suspect your rhetorical question was intended at underlining a fundamental characteristic of modern American political campaigns, and for the counterpoint, why would Hillary be going to places like NYC, LA, and the SFC when both NY and CA are at this point definitely locked down for her campaign?

So yes, as you implied, both campaigns will devote resources into fundraising activities even in "safe states" rather than focus exclusively into swing states or head-fakes of states where polling is tighter than expected.

All this talk is making me hungry to download the latest version of "Presidents Forever" which I haven't played since the '08 elections. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »

All this talk is making me hungry to download the latest version of "Presidents Forever" which I haven't played since the '08 elections. Wink

Yeah, that was my thought process a couple months ago Tongue
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »

Good move he can't win there, and he shouldn't be campaigning in Texas and Mississippi he can fundraise but he can hold rallies in Pensacola and Las Vegas instead

The Vegas rally has been cancelled
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »

I know, I was just giving examples of thing he can do instead.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »

I know, I was just giving examples of thing he can do instead.

Not very knowledgeable on Dem/Rep fundraising big $$$ donations by state/Metro areas, so it would definitely be interesting if our fellow Dem/Rep/Indy/3rd Party avatars with more experience have any data regarding historical large dollar donations by state/metro areas for the past four election cycles.

It certainly does make sense for both campaigns to schedule events in various areas during a GE campaign explicitly for the purpose of raising money for their campaign and DNC/RNC $$$, while simultaneously scheduling events (large rallies) designed to get free and generally favorable local media coverage within swing states.

So, yes both large rallies in swing states combined with fundraising efforts certainly makes sense.

Now if Trump is in TX and MS it sounds like the campaign might be more into a "dialing for dollars" mode to try to catch-up on fundraising to be able to compete with Hillary in the "Air War", where at this time it appears objectively that she has a significant advantage.

Or?Huh
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies