Opinion of #NeverTrump Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:28:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of #NeverTrump Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Opinion of #NeverTrump Republicans
FFs

HPs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Opinion of #NeverTrump Republicans  (Read 2029 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »

The Cruz-type ones are mostly OK, but misguided, given that the Supreme Court is on the line for a generation.  It's the Kasich-type "let's give in on everything" ones that really give me a negative opinion of the group- especially the libertarian-leaners who are voting for Liberal Gary Johnson.

GOP shouldn't have nominated Trump then, not our fault. And hint, us libertarians ARE NOT CONSERVATIVES.

You can say that again!

I assume ExtremeRepublican's point is that he's not fond of l ibertarians in general, at least as an ideology, which I can sympathize with.  Give me the choice between a strongly Christian, socially conservative Democratic Party and a libertarian, pro-choice Republican Party, and I'd vote Dem 100 times out of 100.

I greatly look forward to this day!

Me too!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 11:40:59 AM »

The Cruz-type ones are mostly OK, but misguided, given that the Supreme Court is on the line for a generation.  It's the Kasich-type "let's give in on everything" ones that really give me a negative opinion of the group- especially the libertarian-leaners who are voting for Liberal Gary Johnson.

GOP shouldn't have nominated Trump then, not our fault. And hint, us libertarians ARE NOT CONSERVATIVES.

You can say that again!

I assume ExtremeRepublican's point is that he's not fond of l ibertarians in general, at least as an ideology, which I can sympathize with.  Give me the choice between a strongly Christian, socially conservative Democratic Party and a libertarian, pro-choice Republican Party, and I'd vote Dem 100 times out of 100.

Me too!

Me as well, though I'd be voting in the opposite direction Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »

You can say that again!

Me too!

Me as well, though I'd be voting in the opposite direction Tongue

Same. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 06:40:19 PM »

The "NeverTrump" Republicans are the very Republicans who created the conditions so dreadful that I was forced to turn to a former reality TV show host to correct their errors.

They still, among other things:
-Attack Trump for being a DemocRAT and a LIEbrul for opposing Iraq.
-Still oppose gay marriage and claim Trump isn't a true Christian.
-Claim that overrated dead people (IE, Reagan) would be "disgusted" with Trump, as if the GOP base actually believes the Reagan myth still.
-Totally went along with the Tea Party until Trump hijacked it back from them, in which they then turned on their own base. See Rick Wilson's Twitter for exhibit A of establishment arrogance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »

A lot of them are pathetic hypocrites, who wants to convince us that everything was warm and fuzzy until their "reasonable" party was "hijacked" by Trump. In fact Trump GOP is a logical consequence of the direction the party was going for years. Most of conservative NeverTrumpsters opposes him not because of ideology but because he's not a part of their club.
This lol.

Trump is probably more moderate than most of them.
Trump is not a conservative he is just a racist , egoistic, dumb, demogaue
Do NeverTrumpers have anything but ad-hominem attacks?
What else can we do? He doesn't have a record we can attack, and he's taken so many positions under the Sun that every time we hit one of them, his cultists will bring up the time he said the exact opposite.
Like you all have such a better record Roll Eyes

A refresher on what happened under the non-Trump GOP.
-The worst recession since the 1930s.
-A war based on a lie.
-9/11.
-Bin Laden staying alive for ten years too long.
-Civil liberties totally falling off the face of the earth.
-Gay rights being denied because muh traditional marriage.

The NeverTrump Republicans are the very people responsible for conservatism degenerating from an ideology to a lifestyle, and they must bare the blame for things getting so bad that we turned to Trump to correct their mess.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2016, 09:36:56 PM »

I am more socially conservative than ChairmanSanchez and would've preferred a different GOP nominee, but he's largely right.  The GOP had a lot of problems before Trump came to the scene.  While I do like George W. Bush personally, his Iraq policy was a disaster and it's hard to forgive him for the hand his administration had in fueling the housing bubble and overlooking potential problems.  The party needed a reboot - I wish it weren't Trump doing that, but something needed to be done. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »

I am more socially conservative than ChairmanSanchez and would've preferred a different GOP nominee, but he's largely right.  The GOP had a lot of problems before Trump came to the scene.  While I do like George W. Bush personally, his Iraq policy was a disaster and it's hard to forgive him for the hand his administration had in fueling the housing bubble and overlooking potential problems.  The party needed a reboot - I wish it weren't Trump doing that, but something needed to be done. 
Well of course, I agree that while I embrace aspects of Trumpism (a more populist economic policy while remaining pro-market, less focus on social issues, a non-interventionist/America First foreign policy, having an actual border policy, etc), I never wanted a loudmouthed reality TV host being the frontman for it. That being said, if he can throw the old guard out, which he mostly has, then I consider this election to be a victory for me no matter what happens in November.

As far as my personal goals go, this election was won in Indiana. Afterwards anything more is just icing on the cake, and God knows that too much icing on a cake can make a stomach upset Tongue.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2016, 03:55:53 AM »

Mixed feelings.

At one point, I had a lot of admiration for guys like Ben Sasse and Mitt Romney bucking their own party for nominating a fascist asshole, but part of me thinks that Trump and the alt-right are serving at least one good purpose this election.

As Sanchez said, the #NeverTrump folks are the same ones who precipitated his rise.  They could have prevented this early on with the rise of the Tea Party seven years ago.  They didn't.  They made no effort to expunge these people from their ranks.  They jumped on to almost every insane demand the Tea Party made.  They jumped through countless obstacles trying to accommodate these people without alienating the "saner" elements of their base.  Simply put, they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Now they're reaping the consequences of that, and their response is to denigrate the people who make up the majority of their base, calling them racist hicks and espousing the same kind of elitism cosmopolitan liberals are always guilty of.

If you stood silently while the Tea Party was doing its damage this last decade, or sympathized with any piece of their platform, you are just as guilty for the rise of Trump as the people who voted for him.  John McCain is a great example of this - someone I used to personally respect but no longer do after seeing what a wuss he's become this election cycle; you would expect someone who endured years of torture abroad to have the balls to denounce Trump by name and tell his disgusting supporters where the door is.

Case in point, opposing Trump from the right does not make you "sane" or "moderate" or "reasonable."  It doesn't absolve you of having tolerated the lunatics that came into the scene before his entry.  It just makes you a loser.  A coward.  A weakling.  A cuckservative.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »

They're babies, but their cause has plenty of merit. Most of them that I have encountered are moderate Republicans, but ones so attached to their party identity that they, as has been stated, allowed for this chain of events to be set in motion. Conservatives had plenty more viable options in the past eight years (dare I say, Rick Santorum?) but still went for the establishment choices. This is their return.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »

"I hate Trump, but I hope he gets a huge congressional majority if he wins!"

HP. Still better than Trumpists though.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »

Mixed feelings.

At one point, I had a lot of admiration for guys like Ben Sasse and Mitt Romney bucking their own party for nominating a fascist asshole, but part of me thinks that Trump and the alt-right are serving at least one good purpose this election.

As Sanchez said, the #NeverTrump folks are the same ones who precipitated his rise.  They could have prevented this early on with the rise of the Tea Party seven years ago.  They didn't.  They made no effort to expunge these people from their ranks.  They jumped on to almost every insane demand the Tea Party made.  They jumped through countless obstacles trying to accommodate these people without alienating the "saner" elements of their base.  Simply put, they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Now they're reaping the consequences of that, and their response is to denigrate the people who make up the majority of their base, calling them racist hicks and espousing the same kind of elitism cosmopolitan liberals are always guilty of.

If you stood silently while the Tea Party was doing its damage this last decade, or sympathized with any piece of their platform, you are just as guilty for the rise of Trump as the people who voted for him.  John McCain is a great example of this - someone I used to personally respect but no longer do after seeing what a wuss he's become this election cycle; you would expect someone who endured years of torture abroad to have the balls to denounce Trump by name and tell his disgusting supporters where the door is.

Case in point, opposing Trump from the right does not make you "sane" or "moderate" or "reasonable."  It doesn't absolve you of having tolerated the lunatics that came into the scene before his entry.  It just makes you a loser.  A coward.  A weakling.  A cuckservative.

Name calling seems to be your calling card but repeating the same tactic over and over again doesn't make you right.

A majority of NeverTrump Republicans have nothing to be ashamed of.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies