Open letter to the atlas forum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:15:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Open letter to the atlas forum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Open letter to the atlas forum  (Read 1677 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 11:47:46 PM »

How about we go for accuracy in polling, rather than artificially inflating Johnson's numbers, just to improve his chances of appearing on stage?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 01:09:40 AM »

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 01:43:45 AM »

How about, on the very off chance that you do get polled, you just tell them who you're actually backing. If Johnson had enough support to deserve a spot on the debate stage, then he would be getting the required polling amount without people having to lie about their preferences.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 04:32:49 AM »

It would definitely be pretty interesting to see a debate with more than two candidates for once, so I sympathize with the intention. However, I'd be lying twice (first by claiming I'm able to vote and second by lying about how I'd vote) and I'd rather not eve if it's to an anonymous pollster.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 04:34:45 AM »

My name is no
My sign is no
My number is no
You need to let it go
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 08:47:25 AM »

How about we go for accuracy in polling...?

I'm not sure that accuracy in horserace polling is a good thing, to be honest.  More uncertainty in polling-->fewer voters thinking their vote is wasted because the outcome of the election is already known.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 07:12:27 PM »

Stop trying to skew you polls you traitor
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 12:35:15 AM »

I suppose I appreciate Wulfric's request to a degree, but I'm afraid I agree that lying in poll results is a rather silly thing to do.

The thing is, Johnson should be in the debates already based on ballot access to a majority of EVs worth of states, not an arbitrary number in media-based polling. There is no objective reason why the Republican and Democratic parties are more serious/real/deserving-to-be-heard than the Libertarian party.

"Oh, but Leinad, they've had so much more historical success, while the Libertarians have won nothing!"

Yes, that's what happens when the media paints everything as a two-party race and any other vote--if they even address other options--as "wasted." Duh.

"Oh, but Leinad, the Libertarian Party is a joke!"

And the Republican Party isn't? Besides, if the party was given a chance to win, it would have many more "serious" people involved in the process. I agree that there are many flaws in the party, but we're picking from <1% of the population--the "true believers"--which is why we lack in badly needed pragmatism, moderatism, and political expertise.

"Oh, but Leinad, libertarianism itself is a joke!"

How is it any more ridiculous that the corporatist liberalism of Clinton's party or the nationalism of Trump's party?

Probably the second biggest evolutionary flaw of humanity is our irrational love of assumptions and familiarity. There is nothing less rational about libertarianism--especially a broad definition of the term, which would be the case if it was allowed the same exposure and thus growth as the major parties--it's only that people view it as less rational because it is so radically different than the ideologies we've been exposed to ad nauseum the rest of our lives, and it smashes our comfort zones by actually looking at politics in a different way.

To address SMilo's point, Ayn Rand actually got a lot of things wrong. The idea that greed is good and charity is bad is wrong--greed is an undeniable truth of human nature, which is why capitalism is the only workable economic system, and charity is something that must thrive for any capitalistic system to succeed.

One of the most horrid assumptions that we've been conditioned to believe is that government is an extension of ourselves, and that if something is wrong, government should fix it. Also that if we oppose government doing something, we oppose that action being done at all, and vice-versa. Understand that there's a difference between "this should be done" and "this should be done by government" and libertarianism doesn't sound crazy at all. Radical, maybe, but that's not always a bad thing.

And to say it's as bad as Hitler is enough to be sent to the re-education camps. Wink
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:10 AM »

I'm reporting this thread to the aforementioned networks so that they know Atlas posters are skewing their polls.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 01:23:53 AM »

Did you see what you did?  You made Miles get all saucy.  You should be ashamed. 
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 01:51:44 PM »

Yeah, I'm not putting someone nearly as bad as Hitler on the debate stage just to get diversity of opinion. Very dangerous direction for American discourse
Too late. You already put Orange TinyHands up there.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:03 PM »

I suppose I appreciate Wulfric's request to a degree, but I'm afraid I agree that lying in poll results is a rather silly thing to do.

The thing is, Johnson should be in the debates already based on ballot access to a majority of EVs worth of states, not an arbitrary number in media-based polling. There is no objective reason why the Republican and Democratic parties are more serious/real/deserving-to-be-heard than the Libertarian party.

"Oh, but Leinad, they've had so much more historical success, while the Libertarians have won nothing!"

Yes, that's what happens when the media paints everything as a two-party race and any other vote--if they even address other options--as "wasted." Duh.

And the Republican Party isn't? Besides, if the party was given a chance to win, it would have many more "serious" people involved in the process. I agree that there are many flaws in the party, but we're picking from <1% of the population--the "true believers"--which is why we lack in badly needed pragmatism, moderatism, and political expertise.

How is it any more ridiculous that the corporatist liberalism of Clinton's party or the nationalism of Trump's party?

Probably the second biggest evolutionary flaw of humanity is our irrational love of assumptions and familiarity. There is nothing less rational about libertarianism--especially a broad definition of the term, which would be the case if it was allowed the same exposure and thus growth as the major parties--it's only that people view it as less rational because it is so radically different than the ideologies we've been exposed to ad nauseum the rest of our lives, and it smashes our comfort zones by actually looking at politics in a different way.

To address SMilo's point, Ayn Rand actually got a lot of things wrong. The idea that greed is good and charity is bad is wrong--greed is an undeniable truth of human nature, which is why capitalism is the only workable economic system, and charity is something that must thrive for any capitalistic system to succeed.

One of the most horrid assumptions that we've been conditioned to believe is that government is an extension of ourselves, and that if something is wrong, government should fix it. Also that if we oppose government doing something, we oppose that action being done at all, and vice-versa. Understand that there's a difference between "this should be done" and "this should be done by government" and libertarianism doesn't sound crazy at all. Radical, maybe, but that's not always a bad thing.

And to say it's as bad as Hitler is enough to be sent to the re-education camps. Wink

*slow claps
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2016, 01:03:38 AM »

indeed, excellent post.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2016, 03:40:54 AM »

Ah, but then who's paying for that? Judging by the rest of your post, I'm guessing libertarian charities.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2016, 03:49:08 AM »

'Libertarian charities' are generally pyramid schemes FYI.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »

Is "charity" even compatible with "libertarian"?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »

Seeing as how libertarians actually tend to be the most charitable people on the whole, yes.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2016, 05:06:38 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Seeing as how libertarians actually tend to be the most charitable people on the whole, yes.

"Libertarian" billionaires, or just libertarians because this requires a citation beyond the Koch's and Thiel (and I'm not even sure they are).
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »

Yeah, I'm not putting someone nearly as bad as Hitler on the debate stage just to get diversity of opinion. Very dangerous direction for American discourse

Hitler was authoritarian, that's the opposite of libertarian.
In what sense is Gary Johnson not authoritarian?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies