WaPo: Indian-American that was Booted from Rally Not Voting for Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  WaPo: Indian-American that was Booted from Rally Not Voting for Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WaPo: Indian-American that was Booted from Rally Not Voting for Trump  (Read 706 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:19 PM »

As a lifelong conservative Republican who voted for Bush 04, McCain 08, and Romney 12, I am so utterly disgusted and embarrassed of my party for nominating Trump.  This election has been so depressing.  Trump is going to do to latinos and young voters what Goldwater's nomination did to black voters: alienate those voters from the GOP indefinitely.
lol at the myth that the GOP lost black voters because of Goldwater and not FDR.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »

As a lifelong conservative Republican who voted for Bush 04, McCain 08, and Romney 12, I am so utterly disgusted and embarrassed of my party for nominating Trump.  This election has been so depressing.  Trump is going to do to latinos and young voters what Goldwater's nomination did to black voters: alienate those voters from the GOP indefinitely.
lol at the myth that the GOP lost black voters because of Goldwater and not FDR.

Richard Nixon got 30% of the black vote in 1960. Do the math.
That isn't exactly a strong number and it doesn't address the myth that the GOP was ever truly competitive with black voters post FDR. Eisenhower was the peak when he won 39%.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »

Richard Nixon got 30% of the black vote in 1960. Do the math.
That isn't exactly a strong number and it doesn't address the myth that the GOP was ever truly competitive with black voters post FDR. Eisenhower was the peak when he won 39%.

So if you don't fight to (near) parity for a certain demographic group you abandon it completely.
The Democrats thank you.
No? I'm a huge proponent of the GOP reaching out to black voters, and Trump's populist message would have great appeal to many black voters (who are the biggest victims of illegal immigration's ill effects) if he wasn't so loud, obnoxious, and condescending. Not to mention his silence on criminal justice reform, insistence on siding with law enforcement in all controversial situations, and his use of the phrase "all lives matter."

I'm just noting that the GOP lost the black vote long before Goldwater came around, and the War on Drugs and other explicitly anti-black measures taken by our party (which of course the #NeverTrump Romney/Rubio/Cruz/Bush factions of the GOP implemented, supported and still support) have not made up the deficit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies