Office of Lincoln Senator Scott (Pre-election Statement)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:26:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Lincoln Senator Scott (Pre-election Statement)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Office of Lincoln Senator Scott (Pre-election Statement)  (Read 5570 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:52:43 PM »
« edited: December 07, 2017, 05:11:20 PM by Senator Scott🎄 »

- OFFICE OF LINCOLN SENATOR SCOTT -
Labor - New Hampshire

ArchiveContactOld Campaign OfficeAbout Lincoln
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 01:49:02 AM by Meme Magic »

ARCHIVE

This post is reserved for public statements, announcements, campaign speeches, and news updates released by the Senator's office.

August 22, 2016 - Campaign victory speech
September 27, 2016 - Statement on activity
October 1, 2016 - Statement on the departure of Senator tmthforu94
October 18, 2016 - Reelection announcement
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2016, 08:47:01 AM by Senator Scott »

One of my first orders of business will be, in keeping with my promise of being an active legislator as well as a consultant to the government of our region, to propose two pieces of legislation for the Assembly to take up, preferably at the nearest possible time.

The first of these is the renewal of the Standing Order on Assembly Procedure, better known as SOAP.  These are the rules which dictated the parliamentary procedure of the former Northeast.  I have authored a revised version of the bill to be considered;

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2016, 03:52:54 AM by Senator Scott »

Quote from: Restricted
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2016, 11:33:05 PM by Senator Scott »

I am subsequently proposing a bill that will designate official symbols (including a flag and seal) for the Region, which I drafted according to a July survey:

SECTION 9. ENACTMENT

The contents of this act shall go into effect immediately upon passage.[/quote]
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:14:24 PM »

Source: Senator Scott's official Twitter page

Update from Senator Scott

As you all know, the 2nd Congress is approaching the second half of the session.  Unlike the first session, lots of great bills have been debated and voted on.  Two important bills which I've proposed (one ending the federal prohibition on marijuana, and another which authorizes creation of a 'foreign policy outline' of the Republic of Atlasia) are on their way to the House.  Progress on healthcare has been slower than I'd anticipated, but I am confident that we can reach a consensus on reform by next month.

Sadly, much less can be said about the current state of affairs of our regional Assembly.  While we have had several vacancies since the swearing-in of the first session, the Assembly has been slow to function.  As of now, only one bill has been passed (that which establishes parliamentary procedure), and we've been witnessing a serious lack of leadership during this crucial period for our region.  It is simply unacceptable for a region as great as ours to be dead last in activity at the local level.

I am calling on all members of our Assembly to help reorganize as quickly as possible.  I will remind our esteemed Delegates that all bear collective responsibility for the success or the failure of this body.

As senator, I promised to assist the Assembly by any means possible.  But ultimately the power rests on our local elected officials to make our region vibrant and productive.  I am calling on Governor Flo and other members of this government to take charge.  And I encourage all Northern citizens to run for local positions as we are in dire need of optimistic leadership.

Real change starts with you.

Scott
Northern Senator
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:55 PM »

Was that "Not Good" the intentional use of a Trumpism or was it just coincidental? Tongue

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »

Was that "Not Good" the intentional use of a Trumpism or was it just coincidental? Tongue

I've been using a lot of Trumpisms this year.  I know, Sad!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:57 PM »

I've been using a lot of Trumpisms this year.  I know, Sad!

I, Extremely Crazy, Eternal senator NC Yankee, call for a complete and total shutdown of all activities by Senator Scott, until we can find out, what the hell is going on!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »

Statement on the departure of Senator tmthforu94

Today, Atlasia lost a game giant.  While tmthforu94 and I had numerous political differences, and though I enthusiastically supported (and still support) his opponent, Senator Blair, for this month's presidential election, it was never my desire to see one of our most active and enthusiastic members of the community depart under these conditions.  Tmth was a great statesman for his region and an asset to the Senate.

During my time here, I've tried my hardest to separate differences in ideology from my personal relationships with individual players.  It goes without saying that I wish tmth the absolute best in all his endeavors and I hope to see this game heal and undergo a smooth transition in his absence.

Scott
Northern Senator
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 09:02:16 PM by Meme Magic »

Thought it was time for another update in light of where the game's been lately.  I also have a special announcement.

So I think it's quite obvious the last few weeks have not been Atlasia's best.  The fighting and attacking that has happened lately, both within and between our two main parties, have taken this game in the wrong direction.  I am reminded of the type of culture that existed in this game prior to my exit from the forum two years ago.

As we enter the final week of the campaign, I plead with both sides that we try and maintain a welcoming environment in Atlasia.  We must realize that in order for this game to survive, we must have people on both sides of the political spectrum willing to contribute.  Along with this, we must balance our ideological interests with electing candidates up and down the ballot who we trust to maintain an active presence in the offices that they serve.

Unfortunately, the Congress has been in much disarray this last session.  We lost a valued Senate leader, we've had numerous vacancies, and there is, I believe, a shared lack of enthusiasm among players.

In spite of all this, we have before us two excellent candidates for president.  Senator Blair, in particular, has put forward a great progressive vision for the people of our nation, and I'm proud to be supporting him today.

Although healthcare has been stalled this session, I look forward to working with Senator Blair or Justice Yankee on developing a bipartisan reform package that expands coverage and lowers costs for poor and middle-class families.  During my term, the Senate has passed two of my authored bills with bipartisan support.  In the next Congress, for which we will hopefully have a complete, fully-operational, progressive House and Senate, I anticipate much greater reforms to come.  I have similar hopes for the Northern Assembly, which is coming to the end of a rather dismal first session.

With all that said, I would like to formally announce my intention to run for a second term as your senator this December.  Though this announcement comes somewhat early, it is of utmost importance that the North continues to have active representation on all levels of government, and I hope to have the privilege to continue working for a stroinger Atlasia as our region's voice. Smiley
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »

Thought it was time for another update in light of where the game's been lately.  I also have a special announcement.

So I think it's quite obvious the last few weeks have not been Atlasia's best.  The fighting and attacking that has happened lately, both within and between our two main parties, have taken this game in the wrong direction.  I am reminded of the type of culture that existed in this game prior to my exit from the forum two years ago.

As we enter the final week of the campaign, I plead with both sides that we try and maintain a welcoming environment in Atlasia.  We must realize that in order for this game to survive, we must have people on both sides of the political spectrum willing to contribute.  Along with this, we must balance our ideological interests with electing candidates up and down the ballot who we trust to maintain an active presence in the offices that they serve in.

Unfortunately, the Congress has been in much disarray this last session.  We lost a valued Senate leader, we've had numerous vacancies, and there is, I believe, a shared lack of enthusiasm among players.

In spite of all this, we have before us two excellent candidates for president.  Senator Blair, in particular, has put forward a great progressive vision for the people of our nation, and I'm proud to be supporting him today.

Although healthcare has been stalled this session, I look forward to working with Senator Blair or Justice Yankee on developing a bipartisan reform package that expands coverage and lowers costs for poor and middle-class families.  During my term, the Senate has passed two of my authored bills with bipartisan support.  In the next Congress, for which we will hopefully have a complete, fully-operational, progressive House and Senate, I anticipate much greater reforms to come.  I have similar hopes for the Northern Assembly, which is coming to the end of a rather dismal first session.

With all that said, I would like to formally announce my intention to run for a second term as your senator this December.  Though this announcement comes somewhat early, it is of utmost importance that the North continues to have active representation on all levels of government, and I hope to have the privilege to continue working for a stronger Atlasia as our region's voice. Smiley
Thank you for such a great speech, you addressed some of the most pressing issues in Atlasia today. This speech also reflects the Labor Parties true values. Endorsed for Re-Election!!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 10:30:19 PM »

It has been a pleasure working with you in the Senate so far, endorsed for re-election.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »

Endorsed!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 10:36:59 PM »

Endorsed, of course!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 01:48:21 AM »

Thank you all!! Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 01:56:32 AM »

I'm pleased to announce that work has begun on the new Wiki article for our region.  You can find this article and related articles here.  As senator, I strongly encourage Northern officeholders and citizens alike to do what they can to build on this new section of the Wiki and keep it up to date.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 11:48:15 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2016, 04:29:16 AM by Senator Scott »

YUGE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce that tonight we have made a small yet significant step to achieving full universal, affordable health care in the Republic of Atlasia.

While the last four months have been seemingly plagued with chaos and legal discordance, the essential goal of building a workable, effective healthcare system for all Atlasians has not been forgotten.  I have been deeply invested in the ongoing debate over how to best improve our nation's healthcare, and I have considered proposals from people all across the ideological spectrum on how this can be done.

Tonight, I formally proposed a framework from which we might achieve this effort.  The guidelines set in this new bill are drawn from the proposals that I submitted to the Healthcare Congressional Committee in July.

This bill, as currently written, will complement our market economy by offering a broad range of options to consumers, with the establishment of non-profit Health Insurance Cooperatives to compete with traditional private insurance, as well as a Medicare buy-in plan that automatically enrolls Medicaid recipients.  In addition, this bill protects the right of our regions to regulate their health insurance markets as they see fit and encourages adoption of a "single-payer" model if they so choose, to guarantee the same quality and affordability of coverage regardless of one's background, zip code, or health history.

That being said, this bill is by no means complete and I very much look forward to working on expanding it once it reaches the floor of the Senate, as there are many other issues yet to be addressed to lower the overall cost of healthcare, including reigning in frivolous lawsuits and incentivizing doctors and hospitals to provide the best services to patients at lower costs.

Our work begins now.  Let's seize this opportunity to make healthcare a right for all Atlasians.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 01:23:28 AM »

Hopefully this might help you:
I've gutted, stripped, and added to two ideas we can use as frames for healthcare.

http://pastebin.com/zUHCsDzH
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 04:59:21 AM »

This issue has been troubling me for some weeks and I have been developing a growing fear that we will likely end up the equivalent (relative to the status quo) of the 2012 Healthcare law. That is improving the existing system but missing the boat on some key problems.

The Co-ops and Medicare Buy in are good ideas, don't get me wrong. However, I must say that the continued piecemeal approach to health insurance (I think this is like 33%) and complete failures to address delivery, Shortages of supply (both physicians and facilities), integrating and revolutionizing technology both in medicine, delivery and support systems, and of course Liability costs, will hamper the improvements and leave us needing to reform again down the road.

Not saying we shouldn't proceed with these improvements to at least move the ball down the court, just that we need to be mindful of reality of the situation, and (assuming we have realistic forecasts, which with the reset I have every expectation of), we will realize just how large the basketball court is.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »

I appreciate you re-sharing this.  I looked over the plans that were listed and I think that the 'HIC-public option' approach would be most effective at expanding coverage.

This issue has been troubling me for some weeks and I have been developing a growing fear that we will likely end up the equivalent (relative to the status quo) of the 2012 Healthcare law. That is improving the existing system but missing the boat on some key problems.

The Co-ops and Medicare Buy in are good ideas, don't get me wrong. However, I must say that the continued piecemeal approach to health insurance (I think this is like 33%) and complete failures to address delivery, Shortages of supply (both physicians and facilities), integrating and revolutionizing technology both in medicine, delivery and support systems, and of course Liability costs, will hamper the improvements and leave us needing to reform again down the road.

Not saying we shouldn't proceed with these improvements to at least move the ball down the court, just that we need to be mindful of reality of the situation, and (assuming we have realistic forecasts, which with the reset I have every expectation of), we will realize just how large the basketball court is.

Those are things I'd like to work with Congress on when the bill is being considered.  The systematic problems you raised would still exist with the bill in its current form, so I will need help creating a formula to target those issues specifically.  I think the ACA came with its own incentives to try lowering service and delivery costs et al., but that was a relatively minor part of the law as much of these problems still exist and are growing.  (And even tackling lawsuit reform would just be a drop in the bucket.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 02:30:34 AM »

In addition to the ongoing House elections, the Northern region is currently holding elections for Senate and Assembly.  I hope I have used these past four months to earn the support of the people for a second term, and I urge all our citizens to get out and make their voice heard as we elect a new Assembly.  The health of each region is vital to the health of the nation, people, and democracy is not a spectator sport.  Get out and vote!!!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 07:21:49 AM »

Thank you to all Northerners who got out and voted this past weekend.  I'm honored to be given the opportunity to serve for a second term as your senator, and I congratulate our incoming Delegates on their victories.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2017, 12:56:02 PM by Senator Scott »

So I know it's been a while since I last posted here, but here are some thoughts about the current state of things in Atlasia, and a little about my personal situation.

First of all, I am for the most satisfied with the level of debate and activity in both houses of the Congress.  I think that the House especially has been a place of great, active discussion for nearly every bill that has hit the floor here.  The Senate, which until recently had some problems keeping its members engaged and present for important votes, is steadily picking up in activity as well.  And I couldn't be more fortunate to be working with newly-elected Senator R2D2, who's been off to a great start representing the great Region of Lincoln (and boy does it feel good to finally call it that) with me over the last couple weeks.

With all that being said, I believe it is critical for there to be more cooperation between the two houses, particularly between the House Speaker and Senate PPT.  During my time in the Senate I've seen a number of bills go from weeks to months without consideration or debate.  More recently, a fungled understanding of procedure led to a bipartisan compromise bill on abortion policy had to be tabled so as to resolve a congressional mishandling of legislative procedure, for which we all take responsibility.  That is why, if congressional leadership so wishes, I would like for there to be a thorough review of our current House and Senate rules so that we don't run into problems like this again.

Now, as far as my future at the National Archive is concerned: I have already stated my intention to retire from this position.  I have decided that my resignation will take effect immediately after next month's midterm election.  I realize that I have not been as up to date on fulfilling certain goals I had planned in fixing the Wiki.  I take full responsibility for this, but I would like to use the remainder of my tenure to catch up on some of the things I've fallen back on before the President appoints my successor.

Though I no longer intend to stay on as NA after next month, I promise to stay committed in representing our region and assisting our local government where possible, and that is why I will again seek reelection as your senator next month.

Next, I would like to say a few things about what's happening in our region.  Our legislature is finally poised to pass its first ever budget.  With the help of former Senator Clyde, we managed to balance our budget in keeping with Constitutional requirements.  Not only that, but we were able to amass a very large surplus without making serious cuts to public services.  In fact, the surplus was so large that we decided to eliminate our planned sales tax, as two of our states (Oregon and my home state of New Hampshire) have the distinction of not levying such a tax on their hardworking citizens.  The elimination of this tax is welcome news to low-income families who are most hurt by this form of taxation.

I had a lot more to say, but I'm keeping this update brief for now.  Thank you all for listening, and now if you excuse me, I have some fundraisers I need to get to...

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »

Endorsed times a million!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: