The Obama economic record.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:29:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Obama economic record.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Obama economic record.  (Read 1296 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2016, 01:10:12 AM »

Let's discuss here. Obama came into office facing the worst financial crisis since the Depression.

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:42:00 AM »

Here's the image that says it all to me:

Market's up 40% from its pre-recession peak.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »

Here's the image that says it all to me:

Market's up 40% from its pre-recession peak.

Speaking as someone with most of their money wrapped up in S&P 500 index funds, this is a good thing.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »

We may have a minor recession in the near term (1-2 years), but the economy itself will probably come out quite well.

If Hillary wins, the Dems could get obliterated in 2018, yet she could win a solid victory in 2020.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:39:50 PM »

The most recent numbers that I have seen (2013) show that household wealth remains much lower than it was in 2007 for most Americans:

Key finding to keep in mind given the numbers that people tend to cite when they talk about how "the economy" (whatever that actually is) doing well: "Rather remarkably, there was virtually no rebound in net wealth from 2010 to 2013 despite the rebound in asset prices."

I think the 2013 data is outdated. Net worth has skyrocketed since 2013, and is now at a record:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tbf, this continues decades long trends, as your chart amply shows. The number of job openings is at record highs:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True, this is an issue that should be talked about more in politics.

A broader measure of household debt, covering $15 trillion however, shows that it hasn't increased much during this recovery, compared to the surge during the 2000s (which probably also accounts for the GDP growth then):

While student loans and auto loans have indeed increased rapidly, as shown in your chart, they are dwarfed by mortgage loan debt, which is well below 2007 levels.

Which may help explain why we're spending less on debt service than at any time since the 1970s:

Poverty, and the cost of housing and education, all disproportionately affecting young people, are major areas of lack.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »

My point is not so much that any of these numbers are Obama's fault in particular, but that there's been a significant failure to make broad-based progress during his administration on many of the economic problems that are causing the most suffering in this country, in a way that aggregate statistics tend to gloss over.

Just wanna say that I agree with this 110%. The economy of the Obama years hasn't been strong. Steady, perhaps, but the growth hasn't been there. I also don't think there's any particular policy or anything responsible for this - the problems with the US economy are structural in nature.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »

We may have a minor recession in the near term (1-2 years), but the economy itself will probably come out quite well.

If Hillary wins, the Dems could get obliterated in 2018, yet she could win a solid victory in 2020.

At this point there's not much further down that Dems can go except for in the 2018 senate races.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies