Roanoke College: Clinton +16 in Virginia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:59:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Roanoke College: Clinton +16 in Virginia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roanoke College: Clinton +16 in Virginia  (Read 3448 times)
Desroko
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »

Blended sample, live interviewers, bilingual, and the demos look decent except for a way too large youth subsample. Still looks like an outlier.
Desroko
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »

Leads for Hillary Clinton in Virginia are becoming numbing irrespective of the source. That is the news. Up 16? Hard to believe, but so were the 10-point leads I started to see just after the Democratic Convention.

But there are parts of Virginia in which he has popular support -- poor, under-educated, southwestern Virginia... Appalachia. Its demographics are much like West Virginia, a state that has trended very fast from being reliably Democratic in its Presidential voting to being reliably Republican. Liberals just do not get the culture of the Mountain South.... and it shows. I have yet to figure what the Republicans have to offer in Appalachia and the Ozarks.

Liberals (and I am one) tend to discount the psychic benefits offered by racism, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny, and religious intolerance.
Desroko
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »

Leads for Hillary Clinton in Virginia are becoming numbing irrespective of the source. That is the news. Up 16? Hard to believe, but so were the 10-point leads I started to see just after the Democratic Convention.

But there are parts of Virginia in which he has popular support -- poor, under-educated, southwestern Virginia... Appalachia. Its demographics are much like West Virginia, a state that has trended very fast from being reliably Democratic in its Presidential voting to being reliably Republican. Liberals just do not get the culture of the Mountain South.... and it shows. I have yet to figure what the Republicans have to offer in Appalachia and the Ozarks.

Liberals (and I am one) tend to discount the psychic benefits offered by racism, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny, and religious intolerance.

What?

Individuals whose identities are valued by society (generally white, straight, Christian men) derive psychic benefits from being members of a favored ingroup. For many of those ingroup members with low incomes and education, it actually trumps material interests - the old "I may be a dirt-poor redneck, but at least I ain't a ni***r".

It's why economic appeals to poor whites in the South have consistently failed since the civil rights era - they resent that the same social programs and protections are available to minorities, and resent the implication that they're the equals of those groups.  
Desroko
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:58 AM »

What?

Individuals whose identities are valued by society (generally white, straight, Christian men) derive psychic benefits from being members of a favored ingroup. For many of those ingroup members with low incomes and education, it actually trumps material interests - the old "I may be a dirt-poor redneck, but at least I ain't a ni***r".

It's why economic appeals to poor whites in the South have consistently failed since the civil rights era - they resent that the same social programs and protections are available to minorities, and resent the implication that they're the equals of those groups.  

Do you mean psychological benefits?

No - it's a term that originated in economics to describe the non-material benefits of work, and has since been adopted by sociology to describe the intangible rewards of other areas of society. Sometimes called psychic rewards or income.

Bizarrely, one of the top Google results by Malcolm Gladwell about the NBA, but it's actually a decent explanation.

http://grantland.com/features/psychic-benefits-nba-lockout/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies