Timmy's States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:03:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Timmy's States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Timmy's States  (Read 27150 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2016, 01:21:03 AM »

Back in the day, Michigan had one congressional district based on the Huron-Superior shore and another on the Michigan shores. The upper L.P. doesn't have significant agriculture or manufacturing. Tourism and summer homes should be considered extractive industries, just like lumbering and mining.

Another approach would be to convert the grey district to a National Road theme (St.Louis, Indianapolis, Springfield (Dayton?), Columbus, Zanesville) and the SW Ohio district to an Ohio River district (Evansville to Pittsburgh?). Allegheny could scoop down through the Cumberland Gap.

How about including Chesapeake Bay in Susquehanna?

I would flip the names of Columbia and Oregon. Oregon would have been understood as meaning the Willamette Valley, and Columbia as the interior beginning a Fort Vancouver. When Oregon Territory created two counties in the north, Lewis and Clarke (sic), Lewis was west of the Cascades, and still exists south of Olympia. Clarke was east of the Cascades with an extension down to Fort Vancouver. In this case it the extension that survives as Clark County,

Perhaps name the western district as Cascadia, and the interior as Columbia.

I perceive Kootenai as being a mountain district, and Yellowstone as plains. So I would give Valley, Lemhi, Custer, Beaverhead, Gallatin, Park (both), and Teton to Kootenai.and bring Yellowstone a bit further west but not to the Continental Divide. This assume Yellowstone is named for the river and not the park.

I named Cadillac after the guy who founded Detroit. YMMV. Tongue
Why not have all of Columbus Metro in Cadillac and have Miami take up Metro Louisville and parts of rural IN next door from OH? The reason I left it in Kentucky was to avoid underpopulating that state. Two more inventive proposals. One of reasons I gave SW Ohio its own state was to preserve Allegheny's mountainous character.
Switching (and/or renaming wholesale) Oregon and Columbia is something I will seriously look at.
Western West Virginia is not mountainous it is hilly

Well I didn't say Allegheny was completely mountainous; it certainly isn't. However in its current incarnation it is centered on the Appalachian mountains and the culture that predominates there. What I meant was that by adding Metro Cinnicati to it I would be diluting that as well as throwing the area in with other places that collectively do not share in the Lower Ohio River culture that metro Louisville and metro Cincinnati both share.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »

Adopted the suggestion to switch the names of the two PW states.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2016, 12:36:48 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2016, 01:04:54 PM by TimTurner »

I just got a thought... Rename cadillac as Erie and Erie as Onondaga or Seneca.
Haudenosaunee was suggested by Clark.
So many good options!

Does this map have any relevance?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »

I think Cherokee would be a much better name for the state that you currently have named Boone.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »

I think Cherokee would be a much better name for the state that you currently have named Boone.
Agreed. Adopted.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »

Well I didn't say Allegheny was completely mountainous; it certainly isn't. However in its current incarnation it is centered on the Appalachian mountains and the culture that predominates there. What I meant was that by adding Metro Cinnicati to it I would be diluting that as well as throwing the area in with other places that collectively do not share in the Lower Ohio River culture that metro Louisville and metro Cincinnati both share.
I wasn't suggesting adding Cincinnati in with Allegheny.

As I understood it, the concern was that Cadillac/Erie was too large.

Currently it has a strong industrial cast from Detroit and Cleveland. On the wast end it reasonably extends out to include Youngstown, Akron, even Canton. In the middle you have Toledo, and out into Michigan you have Flint, Tri Cities, and Lansing. Places like Battle Creek and Kalamazoo and Fort Wayne are a close enough fit. But western Ohio and Columbus don't. They're not industrial.

So I was suggesting making the grey district (Lincoln?) along the National Road from St. Louis through Indianapolis and Columbus.

But that would trim off much of Miami. So I would make Miami snake along the Ohio River, and maybe rename it Ohio (after the river). That would only scoop some of the western part off Allegheny.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2016, 10:42:22 PM »

I think Hunterdon makes more sense with the New York state than the Philadelphia one since it's part of the NYC metro area and is generally considered either North or Central Jersey. The three-way split of the Los Angeles CSA and the two-way split of the Inland Empire is also a little bothersome. San Bernardino County's population is heavily skewed towards the tiny corner near LA and Orange counties and is more aligned with them than Las Vegas. Riverside is fairly similar, as it's more aligned with LA than San Diego. Gwinnett County in Georgia is also a fairly integral part of the Atlanta metro area, and should be with it.

Sorry for being so nitpicky since that actually looks like a pretty cool project. 
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2016, 11:00:54 PM »

Currently it has a strong industrial cast from Detroit and Cleveland. On the wast end it reasonably extends out to include Youngstown, Akron, even Canton. In the middle you have Toledo, and out into Michigan you have Flint, Tri Cities, and Lansing. Places like Battle Creek and Kalamazoo and Fort Wayne are a close enough fit. But western Ohio and Columbus don't. They're not industrial.

So I was suggesting making the grey district (Lincoln?) along the National Road from St. Louis through Indianapolis and Columbus.

But that would trim off much of Miami. So I would make Miami snake along the Ohio River, and maybe rename it Ohio (after the river). That would only scoop some of the western part off Allegheny.

I agree with jimrtex about Columbus. I've been there many times. It fits well with the I-70 corridor west to Indy. In my experience Cincinnati could fit going along the Ohio river. However, I'd put it and Dayton with Columbus and Indianapolis. Cinci has a bit more in common with the midlands than with the midsouth.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2016, 11:09:23 PM by TimTurner »

I think Hunterdon makes more sense with the New York state than the Philadelphia one since it's part of the NYC metro area and is generally considered either North or Central Jersey. The three-way split of the Los Angeles CSA and the two-way split of the Inland Empire is also a little bothersome. San Bernardino County's population is heavily skewed towards the tiny corner near LA and Orange counties and is more aligned with them than Las Vegas. Riverside is fairly similar, as it's more aligned with LA than San Diego. Gwinnett County in Georgia is also a fairly integral part of the Atlanta metro area, and should be with it.

Sorry for being so nitpicky since that actually looks like a pretty cool project.  
You don't need to apologize.
I'll place Hunterdon in NY, per the suggestions of an NJ resident (thanks).
I will likely, though not certainly, place San Brenadino County in California. Riverside County is iffy though.
I will discuss your suggestion re: Gwinett with our deleGAtion.
Thanks for your input.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2016, 11:06:08 PM by TimTurner »

I agree with jimrtex about Columbus. I've been there many times. It fits well with the I-70 corridor west to Indy. In my experience Cincinnati could fit going along the Ohio river. However, I'd put it and Dayton with Columbus and Indianapolis. Cinci has a bit more in common with the midlands than with the midsouth.
Why not expand Miami to take Metro Columbus from Cadillac/Erie and Metro Indianapolis from Lincoln and leave Allegheny untouched?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »

Why not expand Miami to take Metro Columbus from Cadillac/Erie and Metro Indianapolis from Lincoln and leave Allegheny untouched?

It makes sense to me. It's what I did with my state of Miami.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2016, 11:24:55 PM »

Is this unqualified support for my idea, qualified support, qualified opposition? What exactly do you imply here?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2016, 11:29:40 PM »

Is this unqualified support for my idea, qualified support, qualified opposition? What exactly do you imply here?

I certainly support you making the same logical choices I did in drawing alternate states. Since I drew Indy, Cinci and Columbus together, I would support the same in your map.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2016, 11:37:45 PM »

I certainly support you making the same logical choices I did in drawing alternate states. Since I drew Indy, Cinci and Columbus together, I would support the same in your map.
Thanks for clarifying.
So I will try to, as soon as I feasibly can, post an updated version.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2016, 12:27:40 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 08:44:14 AM by TimTurner »

You don't need to apologize.
I'll place Hunterdon in NY, per the suggestions of an NJ resident (thanks).
I will likely, though not certainly, place San Brenadino County in California. Riverside County is iffy though.
I will discuss your suggestion re: Gwinett with our deleGAtion.
Thanks for your input.
All suggestions have been adopted.
UPDATE: Changed my mind re: Riverside. Authorial fiat.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2016, 12:41:13 AM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2016, 01:13:26 AM »

Should I rename Miami as Ohio?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »

Oops I forgot to fix Boone. Oh well. Next time.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »

15:56   TimTurner   So could I have an r majority in both chambers
15:56   TimTurner   After 2010
15:56   TimTurner   But have them overreach on leg maps
15:56   TimTurner   Resulting in a court map
15:57   TimTurner   An R gerry for CDs being upheld though
Saved for posterity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »

Saved for posterity.

?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »

Saved for posterity.

?
I posted it here both to bump it and assure that I would remember it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »

This thread might seem dead, but don't worry, important stuff is being done behind the scenes.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2016, 04:37:39 AM »

Just dropping by to make clear this project isn't dead.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2016, 04:38:51 AM »

This thread might seem dead, but don't worry, important stuff is being done behind the scenes.
This is as true as ever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies