Timmy's States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:17:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Timmy's States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: Timmy's States  (Read 27093 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »

Rockbridge/Lexington I.C./Buena Vista I.C., Botetourt  VA should be in Allegheny...also Roanoke is not actually in Roanoke in this map.
I changed the name to Chesapeake. Thanks for raising the issue.
And all those proposed moves will be done.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2016, 12:09:02 AM »

You have split Amarillo and Midland-Odessa. I'd extend Texas to include the Little Texas area of New Mexico. I'd also redeem Greer County to Texas.

Terrell belongs with the rest of the Trans-Pecos.

I'd move Madison, Brazos, Burleson, Fayette, Gonzales, DeWitt, Karnes, and Bee to Houston.
Would Texas border Mexico in this arrangement?
No.  Eddy, Chaves, DeBaca, Lea, Roosevelt, Curry, and Quay in NM, along with the counties east of the Pecos in Texas.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 12:46:08 AM »

You have split Amarillo and Midland-Odessa. I'd extend Texas to include the Little Texas area of New Mexico. I'd also redeem Greer County to Texas.

Terrell belongs with the rest of the Trans-Pecos.

I'd move Madison, Brazos, Burleson, Fayette, Gonzales, DeWitt, Karnes, and Bee to Houston.
Would Texas border Mexico in this arrangement?
No.  Eddy, Chaves, DeBaca, Lea, Roosevelt, Curry, and Quay in NM, along with the counties east of the Pecos in Texas.
Do you suggest giving some of the Eastern parts of Texas to Texarkana?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 12:51:18 AM »

I'd eliminate Durango, and split Texas into Texas and Commanche, though I might rename Texas to something else. What are the rules for names?

Commanche would include all of the Texas Panhandle and South Plains, and the area east of the Pecos, plus Little Texas, and Greer County. It could extend into the SW corner of Kansas and SE corner of Colorado.

Geronimo, which I would rename to Coronado, would include the northern part of New Mexico, and Colorado up to San Miguel, Ouray, Hinsdale, Saguache, Huerfano, Las Animas. Colorado would take in Gunnison, Chaffee, Fremont, Custer, Teller, El Paso, and Pueblo. Mesa, Delta, and Montrose go to Shoshone, and move the border in Utah to match. Shift Pawnee west to include Logan, Morgan, Washington, and Lincoln, Crowley, Otero, Prowers, Bent, and Kiowa.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2016, 01:38:59 AM »

Thoughts on this?

I think you could add Monterey, San Benito, Mendocino and Lake counties into Oso, to make Secoya more cohesive.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2016, 08:15:50 AM »

Thoughts on this?

I think you could add Monterey, San Benito, Mendocino and Lake counties into Oso, to make Secoya more cohesive.
I tried to reach out to Bay Area natives here on Atlas for their thoughts.
I haven't been able to yet.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »

Jimrtex I also considered the name Plano would be fitting since it is largely a Plains state.
What do you think about that?
I would definitely consider using the name Comanche if you still thought so.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »

Fixed a few things.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »

Should Nevada state cede Sevier, Millard, White Pine, Eureka, Lander, Churchill and Pershing counties to Shoshone?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »

Jimrtex I also considered the name Plano would be fitting since it is largely a Plains state.
It would be Llano rather than Plano.

I'd still extend Pawnee to include Logan, Morgan, Washington, Lincoln, Crowley, Kiowa, Otero, Prowers, Bent. These are definitely Plains or Lower Platte, Lower Arkansas counties, that fit better with the areas to the east, rather than the Front Range or Mountain areas.

I'd probably switch Baca and SW Kansas as well.

Incidentally, you have two different yellows in Pawnee.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2016, 10:40:15 AM »

If you are going to split San Antonio and Austin, Comal and Guadalupe go with Bexar.

I would keep all (most/more) of the Hill Country in Texas. So add Crockett, Sutton, Schleicher to Llano based on proximity to San Angelo; Menard, Kimble, Kerr, and Bandera to Texas. Kendall is problematic since it would be considered Hill Country and San Antonio suburban.

Lafayette and Vermillion belong in Jefferson to avoid splitting of Acadiana,
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »

If you wanted to include Puerto Rico, you could have an Eastern Isles: Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Monroe, Dare, Nassau, Suffolk, Newport, Nantucket, and Dukes.

Western Isles would include Hawaii, Guam, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, Aleutians (East and West), Kodiak, Sitka, and Outer Ketchikan.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »

It would be Llano rather than Plano.

I'd still extend Pawnee to include Logan, Morgan, Washington, Lincoln, Crowley, Kiowa, Otero, Prowers, Bent. These are definitely Plains or Lower Platte, Lower Arkansas counties, that fit better with the areas to the east, rather than the Front Range or Mountain areas.

I'd probably switch Baca and SW Kansas as well.

Incidentally, you have two different yellows in Pawnee.
Ah ok. Llano instead of Plano.
So give all of Plano's CO territory to Pawnee and exchange for which counties?
And nice catch regarding the two different yellows. I need to fix that.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »

If you are going to split San Antonio and Austin, Comal and Guadalupe go with Bexar.

I would keep all (most/more) of the Hill Country in Texas. So add Crockett, Sutton, Schleicher to Llano based on proximity to San Angelo; Menard, Kimble, Kerr, and Bandera to Texas. Kendall is problematic since it would be considered Hill Country and San Antonio suburban.

Lafayette and Vermillion belong in Jefferson to avoid splitting of Acadiana,

Fixed?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »

If you wanted to include Puerto Rico, you could have an Eastern Isles: Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Monroe, Dare, Nassau, Suffolk, Newport, Nantucket, and Dukes.

Western Isles would include Hawaii, Guam, Northern Marianas, American Samoa, Aleutians (East and West), Kodiak, Sitka, and Outer Ketchikan.
I figure that PR is best to be on its own if it was a state. Nonetheless that idea is quite inventive, I have to admit.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »

12:26   TimTurner   It's official
12:26   TimTurner   Romney failed to get 40% in any of my new England states
12:28   Peebs   you got the adams results?
12:30   TimTurner   Yes
12:31   TimTurner   58.87 o 39.37 r
12:32   Peebs   interesting
12:34   TimTurner   So to recap... 57.70 obama 39.99 Romney in Kennebec, 58.74 Obama 39.76 Romney in hudson, and 58.87 Obama 39.37 Romney in Adams
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »

In addition to your Ohio and Chicagoland States, another one that really should be split is Gitchigumi. It seems far too large and disparate. You really haven't been kind to the Midwest. Tongue
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »

In addition to your Ohio and Chicagoland States, another one that really should be split is Gitchigumi. It seems far too large and disparate. You really haven't been kind to the Midwest. Tongue
Gitchigumi is supposed to unite the mining belt around the Great Lakes. It unites the Finns in the Great Lakes area
It is one of my favorite states on the map. Tongue
You have a point with Chicagoland though. It is kind of too big. How should it be divided though?
In any case I think dealing with the Ohio state comes first. And if I can deal with only one of them I would prefer Ohio by far.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »

Gitchigumi is supposed to unite the mining belt around the Great Lakes. It unites the Finns in the Great Lakes area

You should ask Muon, BRTD or another poster of the region if it's sound from a socioeconomic point of view. Personally I have serious doubts, but I might be wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The split that I see most easily would be to make one State with only Cook, Du Page and Lake counties, another one with Milwaukee, Madison and the northern Chicago suburbs, and a third one with southwestern MI, northern IN, and the eastern Chicago suburbs. Two-way splits might be a bit trickier, but if you have to choose between putting Chicago with either Milwaukee or Indianapolis I'd say Milwaukee makes more sense.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »

You should ask Muon, BRTD or another poster of the region if it's sound from a socioeconomic point of view. Personally I have serious doubts, but I might be wrong.

The split that I see most easily would be to make one State with only Cook, Du Page and Lake counties, another one with Milwaukee, Madison and the northern Chicago suburbs, and a third one with southwestern MI, northern IN, and the eastern Chicago suburbs. Two-way splits might be a bit trickier, but if you have to choose between putting Chicago with either Milwaukee or Indianapolis I'd say Milwaukee makes more sense.

Since the map started with the statement that the names could change but the borders were fixed I didn't weigh in. The inclusion of the MI LP doesn't fit in Gitchigumi at all. There's really no connection to the bulk of the population in MN. Linking the MI UP with the Twin Cities is fine.

An interesting variant of the state would be to cut off the LP, then run Gitchigumi all the way west across ND to Glasgow MT. That would pick up the whole area that speaks the North Central dialect, often thought of as the Minnesotan accent. If you do go that way, stay away from SD and the I-90 corridor. They don't speak Minnesotan. Smiley
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »

Don't know if it's too late to suggest names, but I'd nominate Calumet for the Chicago Metro+SW MI and Milwaukee/Madison state.

As a potential Kennebec resident, I also think you might want to name Kennebec for the Northern Forest administrative region (something like Northwood?).

https://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Wild-Places/Northern-Forest.aspx

The region geographically dominates the proposed state (as you can see here: https://northernforest.org/the-center-and-region/interactive-map) and is common to all of them.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »

Since the map started with the statement that the names could change but the borders were fixed I didn't weigh in. The inclusion of the MI LP doesn't fit in Gitchigumi at all. There's really no connection to the bulk of the population in MN. Linking the MI UP with the Twin Cities is fine.

An interesting variant of the state would be to cut off the LP, then run Gitchigumi all the way west across ND to Glasgow MT. That would pick up the whole area that speaks the North Central dialect, often thought of as the Minnesotan accent. If you do go that way, stay away from SD and the I-90 corridor. They don't speak Minnesotan. Smiley
Surely at least parts of MI LP have a similar culture? Why not put the Bay City area in the Ohio state with Detroit and have the Chicagoland one gain, say, Muskegon and the Grand Rapids area?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2016, 02:58:42 PM »

Don't know if it's too late to suggest names, but I'd nominate Calumet for the Chicago Metro+SW MI and Milwaukee/Madison state.

As a potential Kennebec resident, I also think you might want to name Kennebec for the Northern Forest administrative region (something like Northwood?).

The region geographically dominates the proposed state (as you can see here: https://northernforest.org/the-center-and-region/interactive-map) and is common to all of them.
It isn't too late, no.
Any potential alternatives to Northwood, if one wanted to go down that route?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »

It isn't too late, no.

No, I love kennebec. Change any except that one.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »

It isn't too late, no.

No, I love kennebec. Change any except that one.
Ok. Kennebec stays. It is NOT changing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies