Timmy's States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:45:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Timmy's States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Timmy's States  (Read 27375 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:19:21 AM »
« edited: August 24, 2016, 08:16:34 AM by I did not see L.A. »

This looks very nice! Smiley

A couple things really bother me though:

- Why split the Bay Area? Marin County at least definitely has more ties to San Francisco than to Southern Oregon. I think a Coast/Valley divide makes a lot more sense than a North/South divide in NorCal.

- Conversely, San Bernardino County should be either in the LA-based State or in the red one.

- Western Massachusetts wouldn't be very happy to share a State with Westchester County.

- What's Baltimore gotta do with suburban/rural Eastern PA? Huh

- In some places you're creating severe population discrepancies. It's your choice if you want to avoid that or no, but personally I think it would be better to.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »

Yeah, the Bay Area split really bugs me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »

I'd definitely recommend you to rework some of these boundaries. What looks nice on a map isn't always what makes sense culturally or economically for an area, and I think maps get a lot better when you take that into account. There's a lot to like about your map, so I think it could become really neat with just a few tweaks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »

Glad to know I was an inspiration. Smiley

LLR, if you're trying to calculate demographic data for the new States, this website will change your life forever. Unfortunately it doesn't have election data, by for anything Census-related it's wonderful.

My advice for Western MA would be to put it in Kennebec, along with the corresponding counties in NY. You could also shift the Long Island counties to Hudson, which would help with population balance.

I think you should consolidate Oregon, Kootenai, Yellowstone and Shoshone into a single State. Same with Dakota and the State northeast to it, and with the two that cover New Mexico. By contrast, you could split up your Chicagoland State into at least three new ones, and the one covering most of Ohio + Detroit into at least two.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:59:27 AM »

I think you could add Monterey, San Benito, Mendocino and Lake counties into Oso, to make Secoya more cohesive.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:38:59 AM »

Thoughts on this?

I think you could add Monterey, San Benito, Mendocino and Lake counties into Oso, to make Secoya more cohesive.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »

In addition to your Ohio and Chicagoland States, another one that really should be split is Gitchigumi. It seems far too large and disparate. You really haven't been kind to the Midwest. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »

Gitchigumi is supposed to unite the mining belt around the Great Lakes. It unites the Finns in the Great Lakes area
It is one of my favorite states on the map. Tongue

You should ask Muon, BRTD or another poster of the region if it's sound from a socioeconomic point of view. Personally I have serious doubts, but I might be wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The split that I see most easily would be to make one State with only Cook, Du Page and Lake counties, another one with Milwaukee, Madison and the northern Chicago suburbs, and a third one with southwestern MI, northern IN, and the eastern Chicago suburbs. Two-way splits might be a bit trickier, but if you have to choose between putting Chicago with either Milwaukee or Indianapolis I'd say Milwaukee makes more sense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 03:24:28 AM »

I think Miami should take up a bit more area from Cadillac (is that how the beige one is named?). Right now you're splitting the Columbus area among them, and I think it would make more sense to have it all in Miami so that Cadillac becomes a cohesive community centered on Lake Erie (really, "Erie" would be a better name for it than for the green State, which is mostly on Lake Ontario Tongue).

I really hope you find a way to follow Muon's advice and cut the Michigan LP away from Gitchigumi. You could then make a relatively cohesive LP State that takes some area from Cadillac (limiting it to the Detroit-Flint area) and La Salle (having it stop at Gary instead of continuing into North-central IN and Southwestern MI).

I also think you should partition Kootenai into Oregon and Yellowstone. The States there really seem redundant to me.

And, sorry to insist, but the Baltimore area really belongs in Washington and not in Susquehanna.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »

15:56   TimTurner   So could I have an r majority in both chambers
15:56   TimTurner   After 2010
15:56   TimTurner   But have them overreach on leg maps
15:56   TimTurner   Resulting in a court map
15:57   TimTurner   An R gerry for CDs being upheld though
Saved for posterity.

?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »

This thread might seem dead, but don't worry, important stuff is being done behind the scenes.
This is as true as ever.

Good. I'm still really interested in this.

As am I.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »

It's back! Cheesy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »

This is awesome! Cheesy

Up for drawing swing/trend maps as well, Peebs?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies