Are the progressives on the correct side of the history?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are the progressives on the correct side of the history?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Are the progressives on the correct side of the history?  (Read 2114 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »

Moreover, I am not sure what working definition you are suggesting as an alternative, or why it is more useful.

I actually have my own eminently personal definition of progressivism, but it wouldn't be fair of me to impose it on political discourse.

The definition that I hope most people interested in substantive exchange in this field could agree on would be along the lines that it is a category of left-wing politics (ie, a politics whose guiding principle is equality) that wholeheartedly (if not necessarily uncritically) embraces Enlightenment thought (especially in its focus on the individual as the basic unit of political thought, and, yes, its belief that policies should be determined through rational means), and that deemphasizes the importance of a "final goal" to instead direct its attention toward what improvements can be achieved in the given context. Thus, the criteria that you use are a necessary condition to being progressive, but not a sufficient one.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »

Sometimes, the history goes "forward" and "backward". Nowadays, France is a Republic. Nobody thinks that one day, France will be a monarchy again. Before 1792, France was a monarchy. Than, France became a Republic. In 1804, France became an empire. In 1815, the old royal Family was restored. In 1848, France became a Republic again. In 1851, France became an empire again. In 1870, France became a Republic again.
Maybe, in some issues, we are like France in the 1820s. The past was more progressive, but the future might be more progressive too.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 02:10:09 AM »

Define "correct" side.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: