Minneapolis to vote on $15/hour minimum wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:39:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis to vote on $15/hour minimum wage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Minneapolis to vote on $15/hour minimum wage  (Read 2416 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:30 PM »

http://www.startribune.com/judge-orders-minneapolis-15-minimum-wage-question-to-ballot/390938331/

The signatures for it were obtained but the City Council tried to block it ruling that it wasn't an appropriate topic for a charter amendment via city law. A judge overruled them.

Woohoo!
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:17:04 PM »

Good on the petitioners to demand something from a City Council clearly uninterested in the welfare of its citizens. Best of luck to them!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:19:10 AM »

Is Minneapolis really expensive?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 12:27:37 AM »

Who wouldn't like to get paid more? Lol deciding this based off public referendum is dumb. The public does't understand minimum wage, they just think "more money=good!".  An 18 year old working at Burger King is not worth $15 an hour.  Those jobs will be automated right away.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:49:42 AM »

Congrats! Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:50:14 AM »

Who wouldn't like to get paid more? Lol deciding this based off public referendum is dumb. The public does't understand minimum wage, they just think "more money=good!".  An 18 year old working at Burger King is not worth $15 an hour.  Those jobs will be automated right away.

An inevitable outcome regardless.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »

automated jobs? Am I wrong, or do you actually think that would be a good direction to go ahead in.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:28:58 AM »

And this will, thankfully, speed up that process a little.

automated jobs? Am I wrong, or do you actually think that would be a good direction to go ahead in.
Who, other than a Luddite or the people that need these jobs, would be against it?  I'd much rather order my tacos and cheeseburgers from a robot than from a dumb, angry adult or an absent minded teenager. 

(yes, I'm aware those two groups don't make up every person working in fastfood, but they do form a solid majority)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »

It's not a matter of good or bad; it's an intrinsic part of economic history: new jobs are created while old ones become obsolete.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »

Automation has always been beneficial to the economy in the long run. If combined with high levels of redistribution and fair labor market policies, I see no reason why a leftist should oppose it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 08:26:08 AM »

Not really. My apartment is $595/month. Most cost of living indexes 0ut it at about a 110, with 100 being the national average.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »

Am I wrong, or do actually think that continuing menial work is a good direction to go in?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »

Not really. My apartment is $595/month. Most cost of living indexes 0ut it at about a 110, with 100 being the national average.

This seems like a very bad idea then.  I'd rather people without a stellar resume have a $10/hr job, than no job.

Automation may grow the economy, yes. But people like having jobs, even if we had something like a basic income (which we don't). A lot of the low wage jobs can't be automated in any case though. They'll just go to people that are less "low risk," and some places will just shut their doors if they don't have big enough profit margins to cover a huge increase in labor costs. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »

I think one of the thing our societies most urgently need to change is the norm that everybody has to have a job and that if you don't you're somehow less of a person. There are plenty of ways to lead a fulfilling life without paid employment (assuming that people's material needs are provided for, which they definitely could be in developed nations).
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »

Minneapolis isn't Seattle, what's their justification for the $15 number or do they just want more money and latched onto the national campaign?

$15/hr is $2400/mo.  If rent is really $600 then that's insane.  Studios in Seattle are $1400.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »

Who care?  Automation is inevitable.

Also, I hope your boss says to you at your next annual review "you dont understand labor or wages.  You just think more money equals good!  We're cutting your pay."
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »

Minneapolis isn't Seattle, what's their justification for the $15 number or do they just want more money and latched onto the national campaign?

$15/hr is $2400/mo.  If rent is really $600 then that's insane.  Studios in Seattle are $1400.

Guaranteed it's more than what BRTD says. Everything being built in downtown Milwaukee right now is $1,200-$2,000 a month so I'd say the average rent is probably in the low $1,000s due to the old stock.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »

https://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-blog-cabin/2014/02/minneapolis-vs-st-paul-rental-cost-ramp
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »

Two and a half year old data before the construction boom and the recent rent spike nationwide. It's really outdated.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »

Hopefully they vote no
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »

hopefully people don't vote for something that will help them and almost everyone else
PollsDontLie
nirvanayoda
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »

Does anyone know what the highest minimum wage is in the country?  I would think with cost of living adjustments, Minneapolis would top whatever is the highest out there.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »

This staggering is pretty good:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

However, this could hurt small business the most:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

BRTD, two council members(Alondra Cano and Cam Gordon) voted for it, while Andrew Johnson apologized for voting against it. Is one of these your council members, or would you support a primary challenge to your city council member?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 12:36:35 AM »

My City Council member is Lisa Bender, and Minneapolis city elections do not have primaries because ranked voting is used.

As for if I'd support a challenger in that to her, I don't know. I'd like to hear what she says first, since there is a valid argument that it's not a legal amendment to the city charter (this is the equivalent of putting a minimum wage increase in the state constitution) and some concerns about it since Minneapolis is a twin city with other places businesses can go. But I don't think I've ever given my first preference to a winning candidate in a Minneapolis city election anyway. I usually just give joke candidates my first pref or two and then my favorite of the serious candidates my third. Defeats the point of IRV otherwise. Plus I've never liked the Minneapolis City Council, textbook example of how you can have an ideologically monolithic group that's still incapable of accomplishing anything notable.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 01:58:04 AM »

hopefully people don't vote for something that will help them and almost everyone else

Like massive increases in prices  , laying off people will help people
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies