Daughter of Sen. Manchin raises EpiPen price 400%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Daughter of Sen. Manchin raises EpiPen price 400%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Daughter of Sen. Manchin raises EpiPen price 400%  (Read 3445 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »

Awful, but I wouldn't blame Joe Manchin personally for this. There are many things I dislike about him, but this was his daughter's fault, not his.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »

His daughter is an adult and accountable for her own work, so I think it's a little silly to blame Senator Manchin for it. He has no position at the drug company.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »

I agree, I wouldn't blame Manchin for this but he should denounce this move by the company
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »

Same daughter with the purchased WVU degree?

yes. and same daughter who used inversion to pay less taxes.

Now,now,  it's the company that does that, not her, and we all know companies are people.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:45 PM »

To anyone tempted to get sanctimonious about how it's wrong to implicate Manchin:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These people are real-life vampires. They gain vitality by sucking life - almost literally - out of people who don't have their kind of power. And they would do it to me, you, and anyone else here if they had the chance.

There's nothing wrong with getting a parent's help in the beginning of your career. If you had the money you'd do it for your kids. If I had the money I'd do it for my kids.

There is a difference between helping your kids get a firm footing and doing everything for them. Her and her father have diverged significantly on a decent amount of things since he helped her get the job.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »

She and her father have "diverged significantly" in the same sense in which the mob and Pontius Pilate "diverged significantly" before the crucifixion. You have a highly generous view of personal responsibility when it comes to people in positions of power.

I did say I want Manchin to denounce her actions. If he continues to refuse to comment than I will start to bash him more on this.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:24 PM »

lol, I never said Manchin is entirely responsible for everything his daughter does. That said, when people show this level of poor judgment, it's not unreasonable to assume a fault in parenting.

So do you agree with Seriously? and the right wingers who went crazy over Omar Matteen's father being at one of Hillary's rallies?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »

To anyone tempted to get sanctimonious about how it's wrong to implicate Manchin:

These people are real-life vampires. They gain vitality by sucking life - almost literally - out of people who don't have their kind of power. And they would do it to me, you, and anyone else here if they had the chance.

I'm a little confused about what you are accusing him of here.  Getting his daughter a data entry job?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »

Funny how people are okay with insurance companies doing this, but if someone suggests the government do so (that's what "negotiating drug prices" for Medicare would mean), people throw a fit and rant about MUH DEATH PANELS.

We should be negotiating for that and everything the gov't pays for.

Are you voting against Burr who, lip-service aside, disagrees in practice ?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »

I'm a little confused about what you are accusing him of here.  Getting his daughter a data entry job?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

It's worth noting that when she got her first job with Mylan, Joe Manchin was a WV state senator who'd only been in office for a few years. He was not powerful or influential enough to actually do anything to make that a genuine "quid pro quo" situation. From what I've read, it sounds like he knew someone who worked at Mylan from before he became an elected official and that person suggested her for the job.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »

Considering Mylan is the 5th largest private employer in WV, I'm sure Sen. Manchin has done everything possible to ensure Mylan stays in WV and continues to be a major employer.  It's not like WV is overflowing with jobs (good or bad).  And if the small town girl made good CEO just happens to be his daughter, well hopefully that's another thing keeping them in WV.  And if she's made some obscene amounts of money as CEO recently, well that's just the price of business, as long as jobs stay in WV.  Did I mention that WV badly wants jobs?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

Mylan to release generic EpiPen at half the price of the original
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 01:26:37 AM by shua »

Are you being deliberately obscure?

in any case, "so and so is a greedy person" seems to me to be missing the point of what is happening here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 03:21:55 AM »

Events like these that make you understand why rituals like seppuku existed. It's difficult to understand how anyone can live with themselves after doing certain things.
I often feel this way when I read horrible things like this (or worse).  I still feel guilty about things I did 30 years ago and they are silly, minor little things next to taking way more money than you need from random people, most of which are substantially less well off than you.
Better start donating more to the Clinton Foundation, Heather.
and this.  I guess the 2 million they spent last year on lobbying wasn't enough.  Maybe if they double the number they can get the generic blocked and raise the price some more.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »

Are you being deliberately obscure?

What is hard to understand about a pharmaceutical company - headed by an ex-lobbyist and the daughter of a US Senator whose actual management and leadership credentials appear to be not just lacking, but laughable - pursuing a business model that depends on an FDA-enforced monopoly that is, at least arguably, poorly justified by the best available medical evidence on generic alternatives?

Now it seems to be my turn to be deliberately obtuse, because I have no idea what you meant to imply by this.

Up until this point she was generally considered a respected leader within the industry, whose tenure saw the stock price rise by a proportion even more than the rise in price of Epipen. This is not a unique case, it is an industry trend. Do you think those industries that provide hyper-inflationary products - such as drug manufacturers, universities - are inherently more greedy than those making slightly deflationary products like TVs and personal computers?   Even if they are for some reason, prices are supposed to supposed to communicate something about supply and demand. If there has been no significant change in supply or demand, and yet prices have gone up 600%, something has gone wrong to allow this to happen. It isn't a healthy, functioning market.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »

Nice to see Dr.Scholl put politics over principle or people and hides behind the rather conservative sounding excuse/proverb of "Mr. XYZ isn't on the board!"
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 09:09:55 AM »

I like Munchkin, but his daughter only has the job she has because of his influence.  
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »

Same daughter with the purchased WVU degree?

Being the daughter of a Senator, you would think she could purchase a degree with actual prestige.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 10:38:57 PM »

I like Munchkin, but his daughter only has the job she has because of his influence.

Honestly, who cares?  I'd help my kid in that position.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »

Nice to see Dr.Scholl put politics over principle or people and hides behind the rather conservative sounding excuse/proverb of "Mr. XYZ isn't on the board!"

Honestly, Dr.Scholl is an underrated sleeper candidate for worst red avatar.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:46 AM »

We have a red avatar who's not only frequently quite racist but is an open rape apologist, so that's not much of a competition.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2016, 12:55:44 AM »

We have a red avatar who's not only frequently quite racist but is an open rape apologist, so that's not much of a competition.

Good point. Dr.Scholl is an underrated sleeper candidate for the top five worst red avatars.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »

Honestly, who cares?  I'd help my kid in that position.

Uh, I don't care.  I said I like Manchin.  I was just being Captain Obvious for a post so we have a reality check.  But let's not forget WV history.....Manchin had a penchant for strong arming (a.k.a. helping) to get what he wanted, and he was quite adept at it.  Smiley  WV'ers love thim though....he'd be elected King for life if that job existed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2016, 10:37:41 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2016, 10:39:15 PM by IceSpear »

Uh, I don't care.  I said I like Manchin.  I was just being Captain Obvious for a post so we have a reality check.  But let's not forget WV history.....Manchin had a penchant for strong arming (a.k.a. helping) to get what he wanted, and he was quite adept at it.  Smiley  WV'ers love thim though....he'd be elected King for life if that job existed.

lol. King? He won't even be re-elected Senator (if he runs.) In fact, he's going to get demolished.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 11:59:00 PM »

Uh, I don't care.  I said I like Manchin.  I was just being Captain Obvious for a post so we have a reality check.  But let's not forget WV history.....Manchin had a penchant for strong arming (a.k.a. helping) to get what he wanted, and he was quite adept at it.  Smiley  WV'ers love thim though....he'd be elected King for life if that job existed.

lol. King? He won't even be re-elected Senator (if he runs.) In fact, he's going to get demolished.

Obviously you'd prefer that, as you wouldn't have to live with a sitting Democratic Senator being from WV, but most people without a strong opinion on the state (read: normal) would say that your prediction is FAR from a given...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies