Opinion of "nice guy, FF :)" reasoning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:07:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of "nice guy, FF :)" reasoning
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of "nice guy, FF Smiley" reasoning
Freedom Reasoning

Horrible Reasoning

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Opinion of "nice guy, FF :)" reasoning  (Read 2137 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »

The Manichean HP versus FF thing is a fail right out of the box. FP, BP and HP, as in Freedom Poster, Beta Poster, and Horrible Poster, would make more sense. Judging folks on the internet as people rather than posters is problematical.

Using Greek letters as adjectives in one of the worst memes ever. Let's not spread it further.

Also, from that thread Morden linked to:

Looks like I'm not the only one who ever changed his mind about a poster, right BRTD? Wink

Well if you don't like the alpha and beta thing, how about mensch, nebbish and schmuck as the 3 categories?  Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »

Nice thread, FF Sad)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 09:55:47 PM »

The Manichean HP versus FF thing is a fail right out of the box. FP, BP and HP, as in Freedom Poster, Beta Poster, and Horrible Poster, would make more sense. Judging folks on the internet as people rather than posters is problematical.

Using Greek letters as adjectives in one of the worst memes ever. Let's not spread it further.

Also, from that thread Morden linked to:

Looks like I'm not the only one who ever changed his mind about a poster, right BRTD? Wink

Was jfern an effective right wing hack back then?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »

I think there's something to be said for saying that posters are FFs even if you disagree with them politically. There are definitely posters on this forum who are good people, and state their case in a reasonable manner. The fact that I disagree with many of their views doesn't make them a bad person, in my eyes. On the flip side, there are also posters who I agree with a fair amount of the time, but who are enormous tools. IMO, the FF/HP rating should be at least mostly independent of whether or not you agree with their views. I'd hate to think some people think of me as a horrible person just because my views are different from theirs.

I agree. Unless someone' views are really bad like the Nazi/NK stuff BRTD was bringing up, politics shouldn't etermine an FF/HP vote.

Here's how I decide how to vote:

Plenty of posters are bland but they're still nice people, so there's no way I'd vote HP. Likewise, a few of our posters are... prickly, but they still write really interesting stuff, so I still vote FF.

I save my HP votes for posters who are both jerks and boring. To use BRTD's example, TNF was a jerk (besides the NK apologetics, he kept talking about sending posters to the guillotine was generally mean), that might have been redeemed if he posted interesting stuff about say different kinds of Marxism or the history of the labour movement, but it was almost all "blah blah guillotine, blah blah NK > American capitalism". That makes for an easy HP vote.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »

...yes, people's opinions on people evolve. That's a dead0man-level sick burn you got here.

but Hispanics are not a race on the US Census
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »

I mean, in the current environment, sure; hearing people called "betas" is pretty annoying if not done sarcastically*. But in general, some of those Greek letters are wonderful words in and of themselves, and I'd hate to deprive the language of that wonderful addition. It's regrettable that about four well-known letters were absorbed by popular culture ("We've got a shutdown in the Alpha quadrant!", etc.), but anything that descends into the colloquium will end up inevitably trashed at some point.

*"Sarcastically". Isn't that what we mean when we say "ironically"?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 03:06:46 PM by Senator Scott »

I think there's something to be said for saying that posters are FFs even if you disagree with them politically. There are definitely posters on this forum who are good people, and state their case in a reasonable manner. The fact that I disagree with many of their views doesn't make them a bad person, in my eyes. On the flip side, there are also posters who I agree with a fair amount of the time, but who are enormous tools. IMO, the FF/HP rating should be at least mostly independent of whether or not you agree with their views. I'd hate to think some people think of me as a horrible person just because my views are different from theirs.

I agree. Unless someone' views are really bad like the Nazi/NK stuff BRTD was bringing up, politics shouldn't etermine an FF/HP vote.

Here's how I decide how to vote:

Plenty of posters are bland but they're still nice people, so there's no way I'd vote HP. Likewise, a few of our posters are... prickly, but they still write really interesting stuff, so I still vote FF.

I save my HP votes for posters who are both jerks and boring. To use BRTD's example, TNF was a jerk (besides the NK apologetics, he kept talking about sending posters to the guillotine was generally mean), that might have been redeemed if he posted interesting stuff about say different kinds of Marxism or the history of the labour movement, but it was almost all "blah blah guillotine, blah blah NK > American capitalism". That makes for an easy HP vote.

This exactly fits my own criteria.  And obvious trolls don't deserve an FF or an HP vote because they don't deserve their own threads about them.  This forum is very good at taking people's bait.

EDIT: I will always vote HP on people like Santander, however.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 05:28:58 PM »

At best heaps too much praise on bland and generally non contributing posters. Which is minor and not worth complaining much about. But at worse results in praise for quasi-white nationalists and genocide supporting North Korea apologists, so yeah, HR.
Nice post, ff!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »

Hey Tony here's over 40% support for a Trump troll on these grounds: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=244606.0
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »

I don't know who he is, but being a Trump supporter is not an automatic HP.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »

Not judging people based on anonymous postings on a political board = FR, for sure.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 12:54:02 PM »

most people have some sort of moral or political view that I find atrocious, so I have to rely on "nice guy, FF" reasoning just on practical grounds in order to function.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies