Should underage male (non-medical) circumcision be banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:53:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should underage male (non-medical) circumcision be banned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Should underage male (non-medical) circumcision be banned?  (Read 5799 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »

Same as Burkini actually. It shouldn't exist ideally, but banning it would do more harm than good.

To play the devil's advocate here: there's a huge practical difference between an irreversible surgical procedure and wearing Burkini.

Yes, I'm split on this as well. I tend to believe such a procedure, save for medical reasons, should be a result of conscious adult decision, but I fear it indeed doing more harm than good if banned.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »

It's not as if there's no precedent for adult circumcision (see: Father Abraham).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »

This is one of those subjects that should never be discussed on the internet.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 02:25:49 PM »

Essentially.

*chuckle*
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 06:30:38 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2016, 06:37:58 PM by DavidB. »

Yeah.

I commend anyone of you who opposes circumcision personally or feels uneasy about it yet still doesn't want to ban it.

Of course, I am against a ban, but I realize it will happen in NL sooner or later. In that case, the EU's open borders would come in handy if I were to become the father of a son Smiley

but on the other it is an invasive, unnecessary surgery performed by relatively unregulated mohels and which the infant has no choice to consent to. I lean that it should be banned.
Almost all mohalim nowadays are doctors afaik (at least in Europe, don't think it's different in IL and the US apart, perhaps, from some really frum communities).
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Burros
Dan, is that you?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 08:27:28 PM »

No. It is a legitimate religious practice.

Like DavidB, I respect those who don't like it but don't want it banned.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 09:03:08 PM »

I oppose permanently altering another person's body without their consent, so yes. With that said, unlike the topic question posed I support a religious exemption as well.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »

Traditions can change - why not jump the legal age of consent to be circumcised up to 14?
Oh, missed this one (I know LLR came up with it). Yes, this is the problem with calling Jewish mitzvot "traditions" and it is exactly why I never argue for anything Jewish on the basis of "tradition"; indeed, if it's only a tradition, then why not change it? The point is that like most Jewish "traditions", brit mila is most definitely that, but it is much more too: it is a commandment. Commandments do not change. They are not amendable. A parent has the responsibility to make a mohel perform the commandment of brit mila on their newborn son on the eighth day in order to make him part of the covenant with G-d. I admit to feeling uncomfortable about the idea of having a newborn son and then hurting him with no medical purpose, and I doubt I will enjoy it -- but this is a commandment so fundamental, so important that I would not want my child to go without it.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 07:12:55 AM »

Traditions can change - why not jump the legal age of consent to be circumcised up to 14?
Oh, missed this one (I know LLR came up with it).

Hmm?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »

Oh, missed this one (I know LLR came up with it).

Hmm?
Crabcake replied to you saying it's a Jewish tradition.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »

As a Jew: yes. Babies don't have religions and should not be forced into them in such a permanent way. Keep your religion but don't inflict it on innocent babies. And please stop crying antisemitism.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 12:16:35 PM »

Really torn. I really don't want to interfere with the Jewish tradition, but at what point do you say "tradition" is cruel? I know I won't do that to my sons.

This is a tradition that belongs in the 13th century. Please interfere with it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »

It should be discouraged except for religious or medical reasons, but left up to the parents.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »

As a Jew: yes. Babies don't have religions and should not be forced into them in such a permanent way. Keep your religion but don't inflict it on innocent babies. And please stop crying antisemitism.

also judaism is not a "religion" ffs
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »

Yes, every form of genital mutilation should be banned.

I still have my foreskin and never had any problem with it. You just need to wash it properly each day.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »

also judaism is not a "religion" ffs

Huh
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2016, 12:53:12 PM by DavidB. »

Non-observant Jews are just as Jewish as the Chief Rabbis of Israel. My statement was a bit strongly worded, and Judaism has religious aspects, but saying "one is not born with a religion" as argument against brit mila makes no sense because one is in fact born with a heritage of thousands of years, with a family, with a people. It is an extremely important part of the cycle of life as a Jew, together with the bar mitzvah, marrying, etc. Even many non-observant or not-all-that-observant Jews think brit mila is of importance. The American tendency to view Judaism as a religion just like Christianity while we should really be seen as another ethnic group with its own tribal rules and traditions (which, indeed, come from G-d) annoys me to no end, although I realize it's mainly Jews who have contributed to this in their attempt to assimilate and get rid of anti-Jewish prejudice.

I still have my foreskin and never had any problem with it. You just need to wash it properly each day.
Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »

Netanjahu, pls send Mossad.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 01:00:35 PM »

I struggle, I genuinely do, to support the removal of an infants foreskin for solely religious purposes.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »

Neither of my sons are, I saw no point.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 01:01:12 PM »

Non-observant Jews are just as Jewish as the Chief Rabbis of Israel. My statement was a bit strongly worded, and Judaism has religious aspects, but saying "one is not born with a religion" as argument against brit mila makes no sense because one is in fact born with a heritage of thousands of years, with a family, with a people. It is an extremely important part of the cycle of life as a Jew, together with the bar mitzvah, marrying, etc. Even many non-observant or not-all-that-observant Jews think brit mila is of importance. The American tendency to view Judaism as a religion just like Christianity while we should really be seen as another ethnic group with its own tribal rules and traditions (which, indeed, come from G-d) annoys me to no end, although I realize it's mainly Jews who have contributed to this in their attempt to assimilate and get rid of anti-Jewish prejudice.

I thought the word Judaism referred specifically to the religion, as opposed to the ethnicity. My bad if I was mistaken.

Of course I'm aware that there are non-observant (and even nonbelieving) Jews. But surely you'll agree that there is a (for lack of a better way I know of phrasing it) a "Jewish religion" that can be compared and contrasted to others, right?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »

I thought the word Judaism referred specifically to the religion, as opposed to the ethnicity. My bad if I was mistaken.

Of course I'm aware that there are non-observant (and even nonbelieving) Jews. But surely you'll agree that there is a (for lack of a better way I know of phrasing it) a "Jewish religion" that can be compared and contrasted to others, right?
The word Judaism does generally refer to the "religion", but my point is that it is hard and often misleading to try and disentangle the "religion" from the people, especially when done in order to advocate a ban on certain Jewish commandments.

I definitely agree Jewish "religious" practice and faith can be compared and contrasted to other "religions", and I am not necessarily opposed to using the word "religion" when discussing Judaism in such contexts ("ethno-religion" may be one of the most adequate words when talking about Judaism), but it remains extremely important to keep in mind the problems of using the word "religion" (which stems from a Western, Christian context and doesn't necessarily apply as well to other world "religions") in general and the fact that Jews are, in fact, a people.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »

Not that Jews can be confused as an ethnicity either (you can't convert into an ethnicity FFS DavidB). And indeed it would be a stretch to say that Polish Jews, Bukharian Jews, and Ethiopian Jews all share the same ethnicity. What it is is actually very complicated, but bears more resemblance to a large diffuse tribe (which would make sense, given that pre-exile the Israelites were a confederation of tribes. Then again, Jews resemble an ethnicity far more than a religion (this meme only got started during the Haskalah, or "Jewish Enlightenment, when a lot of uppity German Jews decided they wanted to pattern the Jewish people after Protestantism.*) If you asked a Jew before that, or basically any Jew in a shtetl or outside the European sphere even after that, and they wouldn't call themselves a religion.

*Among other inventions of theirs was the term "Judaism". There is no analogue in old Hebrew for this. This is, among other reasons, why I refuse to use the term whenever possible.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2016, 01:24:50 PM by DavidB. »

Not that Jews can be confused as an ethnicity either (you can't convert into an ethnicity FFS DavidB).
Yes, we are definitely more than an "ethnicity" too. I personally prefer the term tribe.

"Conversion" is another term that is highly Western and Christian and doesn't work in a Jewish context. A ger or giyoret technically does not become Jewish, he or she was always Jewish and the giyur process is but the affirmation of one's belonging to the Jewish tribe. One can become a part of certain tribe if one was born outside it. Someone like that will, of course, keep all the laws in such a tribe.

I, of course, agree with the rest of your post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies