Issue with Trump as the "Ultimate Outsider" who was just "Playing the System"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:50:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Issue with Trump as the "Ultimate Outsider" who was just "Playing the System"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issue with Trump as the "Ultimate Outsider" who was just "Playing the System"  (Read 276 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2016, 06:33:54 PM by Sorenroy »

(Rant: TL;DR at the bottom.)

I figure that there are three main camps of Trump voters: the defensive, the misinformed, and the anti-establishment.

On the most part I view Trump supporters as in the first, or defensive, camp. I figure most of Trump's support comes from the "but at least he's not Clinton" or the "we need a conservative Supreme Court" camps. While I disagree with both of those sentiments (I don't see what about Clinton warrents the first argument and I find Trump's comments on nuclear proliferation more important for the long term of the US than the SCOTUS), I can at least partially see the reasoning behind them. They are at least articulated reasons for voting Trump.

There is also the group I would call misinformed: people who believe that the United States is in free fall. They believe that everything is Obama's fault, that the stock market is down, and that the crime rate is up. If you are part of this group, I can also understand why you would not want to vote for Clinton (although, those that dig their heals in when told the truth are some of the most annoying).

And finally, the group I have the largest issue with, the anti-establishment. I will first concede that there are massive issues with the political class, including Clinton. The idea that lobbyists and people who pay money into political campaigns get more access makes sense, but is still absolutely disgusting. That is at least part of why I backed Sanders over Clinton in the primary. However my issue comes in when voters say that Trump fits the role of the anti-establishment.

Throughout Trump's run in both the primary and general election campaigns, he has said he is the ultimate outsider. That, because he has never held political office, he will make the best politician ever. While that itself is problematic, the larger issue comes into play when you read about/watch his responces when asked about his own questionable activities. Whenever he is asked why he donated to Democrats or why he bankrupted his businesses, his responce is always that he was just playing the system and that, by playing that system, he now has an even better grasp of how to fix it.

This is an issue. As far as we are lead know, Trump is and has always been rich. One of the benefits of being rich is the fact that you can play by your own rules. If you are worth billions of dollars, you can make the choice of what you do in your life. You can decide to make your clothing in the United States or outsource their production overseas because you can take the financial hit of less profits. You can decide to either be an upstanding person or a sleazeball and for the most part, you can play either side... that is, unless you are running for the highest political office in our country.

Even as Trump criticizes Obama and Clinton for blowing off Louisiana (rightly), he shuts down any talk or releasing his tax returns. The only reason Trump is in Louisiana is for the optics. During his adult life, there have been ample opportunities for Trump to donate to disasters, and knowing what we know about Trump, if he was being charitable, he would be being very clear about it being him. If Trump built a hospital in Haiti, you better believe it would either be called Trump Hospital, or have the name Trump somewhere on the building.

Going further on this idea, if Trump truly believes that it is better to be an outsider, nothing stopped Trump from trying to fix the issues he now sees when he was just a rich person in New York. Many other rich people have pushed for policy objectives without being elected to a political office. From both sides of the isle.

So finally, we are left to believe that Trump, the man that puts his name on every building he owns, is either just realizing the problems with the United States and finds them so egregious that he has to run for political office (something that he hates), or that he has quietly donated to charities anonymously for his whole life and only now feels that things have gotten out of hand.

Far more likely, Trump sees this as just one more step up the ladder of power. Nothing in Trump's life up to now speaks to anything but Trump's willingness to step up and help himself. He has never done anything charitable with his wealth and has never felt bad about gaming the system to help himself and hurt others. Trump has no record so the only thing Trump has to give his supporters is his word, and seeing how he treated his former employees, that doesn't really stand for a lot.

TL;DR: The idea of Trump being the outsider just now fighting for you is stupid. If Trump really wanted to help anyone but himself, he has had the power to do so for his whole life and has chosen not to.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »

Sounds right
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:05:52 PM »

Yes, "muh anti establishment" voters are the worst. It's not exactly hard to think of many examples in history of "anti establishment" not being an inherently good thing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies