If Kellyanne can keep Trump on a short leash, can he win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:29:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Kellyanne can keep Trump on a short leash, can he win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Why do we even have this field
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: If Kellyanne can keep Trump on a short leash, can he win?  (Read 1439 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2016, 02:10:31 AM »

I think everyone agrees the last week has been pretty good for him.  Given how low the bar is, if Kellyanne Conway really is the Trump whisperer, if she can put together a competent campaign with a mature, stable Trump to ride out the remaining ten weeks or so, and he turns in a good, mild debate performance like some of his later debates in the primary, could he have a chance?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 02:12:47 AM »

I think everyone agrees the last week has been pretty good for him.  Given how low the bar is, if Kellyanne Conway really is the Trump whisperer, if she can put together a competent campaign with a mature, stable Trump to ride out the remaining ten weeks or so, and he turns in a good, mild debate performance like some of his later debates in the primary, could he have a chance?

It's going to be difficult to make voters forget over a year of bigotry, racially incendiary discourse, and incompetence in just a couple of months. Everyone knows who Trump and Hillary are, and what they've stood for over the last year and a half or so. I feel their decisions are fairly set at this point for the most part.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:20:08 AM »

It's going to be difficult to make voters forget over a year of bigotry, racially incendiary discourse, and incompetence in just a couple of months. Everyone knows who Trump and Hillary are, and what they've stood for over the last year and a half or so. I feel their decisions are fairly set at this point for the most part.

The Democrats had worked their asses off to define Reagan as a far-right loony in 1980 and he went from a single-digit deficit to a double-digit landslide in a similar timeframe.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »

The Democrats had worked their asses off to define Reagan as a far-right loony in 1980 and he went from a single-digit deficit to a double-digit landslide in a similar timeframe.

Trump is no Reagan. He's more of a Goldwater in terms of how he has defined his own presidential candidacy.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:23:53 AM »

Everyone has made up their mind on Trump. It's too late.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »

Everyone has made up their mind on Trump. It's too late.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »

It's too late, maybe if he would have done this back in May after he won the primary, but we are about two months out.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »

One narrow path might be if Trump gets bland enough, maybe the Dem turnout will be down, since many Dems don't like Hillary. But I don't see educated voters who more often than not vote Pub, but have deemed Trump unfit, changing their minds at this point. The evidence that Trump is unfit to be POTUS is just too dispositive, making it highly unlikely that additional evidence becoming available as time goes by, will change such voters' minds. The election kind of reminds me of 1972. I voted for Nixon believing him to be a felon. Why? Because I deemed McGovern unfit. I think I made the right judgment. Similarly, yes, Hillary is untrustworthy and morally challenged. It makes no difference given the alternative. So whatever additional dirt comes down on Hillary is unlikely to change the outcome. So that leaves Trump with turnout models to hope for, sort of like Mittens in 2012. Yes, I know, that didn't work out for Mittens. Pity that.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:36:22 AM »

Premise is unsustainable.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »

Yes, without question, Corrupt Hillary is one of the most flawed candidates there is. If the Dems ran Biden this would be a landslide election and if the Republicans ran Kasich or Rubio they would have won. These are two very flawed candidates.

Gun to my head i still say Trump wins this election after wikileaks drops another bomb or two about the Clintons when we get closer to election day.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:16:19 AM »

If the American people wanted a low energy politically correct cuck why didn't they vote for Jeb! all along? Sad.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »

No, she won't be able to and soon Bannon will be calling the shots and won't let her do anything. Prime Trump is coming back really soon.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »

It's too late for that. He was pretty much a non-starter for the general election when he went over the edge in the primary.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:16 AM »

Does anyone actually think that who runs Trump's campaign has one iota of impact on him personally? He's a nutjob, and Hillary has 80 mil slated to remind us of every single pile of garbage that has come out of his mouth in the past 20 years. Kellyanne Conway is impotent.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »

Yes, he can.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »

Trump is no Reagan. He's more of a Goldwater in terms of how he has defined his own presidential candidacy.

This is the best articulation of this issue I've heard this entire campaign. Democrats worked to define Goldwater as an unstable far-right looney who would blow up the entire planet with nuclear weapons and it worked. The Democrats have already remade LBJ's "Confessions of a Republican" ad, and I think that we really ought to redo the Daisy ad.
sentinel
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »

Nothing is out of the question
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »

No, it is too late.

If Trump started this back in May, he would have had a chance....but now opinions are baked in and people know what he is about.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 11:58:30 AM »

I think that even in the unlikely event that TrumpMiller remains well-muzzled from now to November and turns in decent debate performances, all that does is means he loses by less. He's made terrible first, second, and third impressions on too many voters. 

To actually win he needs to see Clinton voters abandon her - whether they stay home, vote 3rd party, or even vote Trump (few will) doesn't matter as much as that they *don't* vote Clinton. And that's going to take disaster or scandal, not putting a bung in Trump's mouth.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 12:19:13 PM »

This was the way Trump was back in late May or so, before the whole thing with Curiel occurred. Then he got impatient with his polling and went back to the way he was.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »

This was the way Trump was back in late May or so, before the whole thing with Curiel occurred. Then he got impatient with his polling and went back to the way he was.

It's not the polling. It's the adrenaline hit he gets from the crowd.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »

Would need a bleeping muzzle too...
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »

The answer to this question is "yes". 

"Can" and "Will" are two different concepts.  The structure of the Presidential election favors the Democrats.  But who knows what WikiLeaks will dump.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 04:43:05 PM »

Probably not, but lordy you can see how hard she's working!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies