Paul Ryan and Hillary Clinton team up to support Anti-Poverty Plan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:17:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Paul Ryan and Hillary Clinton team up to support Anti-Poverty Plan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Paul Ryan and Hillary Clinton team up to support Anti-Poverty Plan  (Read 2575 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:24:10 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/clinton-paul-ryan-poverty-plan-227207

You must be logged in to read this quote.
swf541

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »

Seems like a good idea
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:38:34 PM »

Look at that. She hasn't even been elected yet, and she's already reaching bipartisan agreements.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »

As I've said before, Clinton and Ryan are two of a kind, they should get along surprisingly well.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:26:32 PM »

As I've said before, Clinton and Ryan are two of a kind, they should get along surprisingly well.
I would think so, but regardless, 2018 could be a bloodbath.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »

If this is a sign that congress is actually going to start being functional again post-Obama, yet another reason to be #NEVERTRUMP.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

If this is a sign that congress is actually going to start being functional again post-Obama, yet another reason to be #NEVERTRUMPIMWITHHER.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 05:02:49 PM »

Bumper sticker policies like "10-20-30" sound good, but they shackle the government's ability to do its job properly.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:56:03 PM »

This is actually one of the clearest signs yet of a solid Clinton win. The other unmistakable sign is if Garland gets a hearing after Labor Day when congress comes off recess
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 01:25:44 AM »

I doubt this would ever pass a through Republican House, even if Ryan throws his weight behind it.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »

I doubt this would ever pass a through Republican House, even if Ryan throws his weight behind it.

If the GOP loses approximately 15 seats or, I see a decent chance. The question is whether enough Dems would vote in its favor.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »

Bumper sticker policies like "10-20-30" sound good, but they shackle the government's ability to do its job properly.

It's just saying 10%, as imperfect as this standard is, these places do most definitely need help.  There will still be plenty of opportunity for help for places that don't fit this criteria.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »

Say the Republicans lose 15 seats. If all the Dems side with it, they only need about 20 or so votes.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »

Say the Republicans lose 15 seats. If all the Dems side with it, they only need about 20 or so votes.
That would require Ryan to break the Hastert Rule.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »

I want to believe that President Hillary Clinton and congressional Republicans can work together at least on infrastructure investments (as well as fighting poverty), but how do you square the OP's article with this?

GOP plots early wake-up call for Clinton
Looking past Election Day, Republicans sketch plan to stymie a President Hillary Clinton agenda.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/hillary-clinton-presidency-gop-plan-227427#ixzz4IZO6n6Yg
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »

The Republicans haven't learned a thing. I guarantee you that on Election Night, you'll have presumptive Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and his retainers sitting in some leather-and-mahogany steakhouse in Georgetown ranting about how "WE WILL MAKE HILLARY CLINTON A ONE TERM PRESIDENT!"

Even if Paul Ryan is actually serious about this, what makes you think he can corral the Freedom Caucus into doing anything when they'll likely make up a larger percentage of the GOP caucus simply because a lot of the non-insane Republicans will have lost reelection to Democrats?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »

The Republicans haven't learned a thing. I guarantee you that on Election Night, you'll have presumptive Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and his retainers sitting in some leather-and-mahogany steakhouse in Georgetown ranting about how "WE WILL MAKE HILLARY CLINTON A ONE TERM PRESIDENT!"

Of course, that's why we vote for them. (Two qualifiers -- McConnell is a very calm man who will not be "ranting", and I would not be so sure that he will not still be Majority Leader).

Even if Paul Ryan is actually serious about this, what makes you think he can corral the Freedom Caucus into doing anything when they'll likely make up a larger percentage of the GOP caucus simply because a lot of the non-insane Republicans will have lost reelection to Democrats?

The HFC is a minority of Republicans that doesn't matter to some extent. The question is whether he can corral your typical Republican that's not an HFC member (but is maybe somewhat sympathetic to them) and sits in a very conservative seat that voted for Romney by more than 15%, where the greatest challenge to reelection comes from within the party. If he can get those types, the Hastert Rule won't be broken and it can be done over the HFC's objections.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 10:26:41 PM »

It may seem virtually impossible,...

...but it is now more important than ever to gain House majority. All we have to rely on is Trump proving to society that he is mentally unstable then Democrats will do more than keep the presidency and gain the Senate control.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 11:09:07 PM »

If this works, my faith in humanity will be partially restored.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »

I hope this is passed.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »

Look at that. Paul Ryan already prepared to sell out the country to crooked Hillary. Good thing she won't be elected president. We can't afford another stupid, wasteful anti-poverty program because the last 50 years of these failed programs have really worked out so well. Idiots.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »

Look at that. Paul Ryan already prepared to sell out the country to crooked Hillary. Good thing she won't be elected president. We can't afford another stupid, wasteful anti-poverty program because the last 50 years of these failed programs have really worked out so well. Idiots.

It is frankly embarrassing that your sentiment is shared by a sizeable group of others.

Do you dispute the reality of cyclical/generational poverty? Do you think all of your success comes from your inherent merits? Ick. Roll Eyes
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »

Focusing on counties rather than localities is a mistake. Some counties are very diverse.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »

It is frankly embarrassing that your sentiment is shared by a sizeable group of others.

Do you dispute the reality of cyclical/generational poverty? Do you think all of your success comes from your inherent merits? Ick. Roll Eyes

Today poverty is a result of laziness and bad personal decisions. All this free trade and mass immigration doesn't help either. They throw the doors open to anyone who wants to come and take American jobs. Even illegal aliens. Then they send our jobs overseas to all these third world countries to get rich. Once we build that wall, kick out the illegals and stop sending all our jobs to Vietnam and China then there wouldn't be anymore excuses for being poor. If you're poor it's because you want to be. Get off your butt and work 2 or 3 jobs if you have to. Quit making excuses and waiting around with your hand out.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »

Today poverty is a result of laziness and bad personal decisions. All this free trade and mass immigration doesn't help either. They throw the doors open to anyone who wants to come and take American jobs. Even illegal aliens. Then they send our jobs overseas to all these third world countries to get rich. Once we build that wall, kick out the illegals and stop sending all our jobs to Vietnam and China then there wouldn't be anymore excuses for being poor. If you're poor it's because you want to be. Get off your butt and work 2 or 3 jobs if you have to. Quit making excuses and waiting around with your hand out.

Guys, I can't. Where does this stupid come from? My head hurts and my heart aches. Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies