Opinion of Gerald Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:47:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Gerald Ford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
FF (D)

HP (D)

FF (R)

HP (R)

FF (I/O)

HP (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of Gerald Ford  (Read 1252 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 03:56:27 AM »

Simple: because the idea that justice is equal for all can't just be a nice theory - it has to be put to practice every once in a while. Sending the message that the President can get away with what would have landed a regular Joe in jail for years doesn't exactly restore confidence in institutions.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »

He inherited a mess. He restored the White House’s integrity. Vietnam was already a lost cause, he couldn’t have done much. The pardon was controversial and I lean to oppose it though I understand Ford’s justification for it and acknowledge the price he paid for it. Aside from politics, he was well-liked by Republicans and Democrats alike as a nice fellow. In short: He left the presidency in a far better shape than he found it and was a decent man. FF.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »

Why do you Leftist weirdos have some sort of crazy problem with letting a man using his office to launch a criminal conspiracy to undermine his rivals go Scot free?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »

Massive FF.

My favorite Republican president after Uncle Abe. He fits my views very well, fiscally conservative and socially liberal. He also spoke out against Iraq in 2004.

Ford healed the wounds of Watergate, and restored honor and decency back to the presidency. He was there when his leadership and personal qualities were needed the most (just imagine Spiro Agnew would have been president after Watergate). The pardon was a difficult but in the end correct decision. Under Ford's watch, the econmic stagnation improved, by 1976 inflation was under control and all that despite a heavily Democratic congress which wanted to reclaim power after the Watergate excesses. Instead of being a partisan hack, Ford was a compromise-oriented guy and nice man. His only real bad decision was to drop Rocky from the VP slot, which he later regretted.

It is evident that he was the better choice in 1976. Though Carter is also a great human being, Ford would have been the better president.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »

Simple: because the idea that justice is equal for all can't just be a nice theory - it has to be put to practice every once in a while. Sending the message that the President can get away with what would have landed a regular Joe in jail for years doesn't exactly restore confidence in institutions.
I disagree. Either the trial would have to have been postponed five or ten years, delaying the process and unraveling mass and multiple controversies for every decision a judge makes, or it could be held with a biased jury who already condemn Nixon guilty before the trial.

If I were to choose between justice for Richard Nixon and the preservation of American greatness and perhaps America itself, I would gladly take the latter.

Why do you Leftist weirdos have some sort of crazy problem with letting a man using his office to launch a criminal conspiracy to undermine his rivals go Scot free?
Thank you! I completely appreciate your misrepresentation of the case to be inherently biased for one side in a satirical manner, thus conveniently making most people overlook the fact that you are misrepresenting your case in an unfair way.

He inherited a mess. He restored the White House’s integrity. Vietnam was already a lost cause, he couldn’t have done much. The pardon was controversial and I lean to oppose it though I understand Ford’s justification for it and acknowledge the price he paid for it. Aside from politics, he was well-liked by Republicans and Democrats alike as a nice fellow. In short: He left the presidency in a far better shape than he found it and was a decent man. FF.
Massive FF.

Ford healed the wounds of Watergate, and restored honor and decency back to the presidency. He was there when his leadership and personal qualities were needed the most (just imagine Spiro Agnew would have been president after Watergate). The pardon was a difficult but in the end correct decision. Under Ford's watch, the econmic stagnation improved, by 1976 inflation was under control and all that despite a heavily Democratic congress which wanted to reclaim power after the Watergate excesses. Instead of being a partisan hack, Ford was a compromise-oriented guy and nice man. His only real bad decision was to drop Rocky from the VP slot, which he later regretted.

I appreciate Democrats like you two and Ted Kennedy who respect Ford's courage, honesty, and integrity. What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right. A good leader knows the difference, and does what is right rather than what is popular at the time. For this, history will regard men of courage and honor like Gerald Ford well.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »

I disagree. Either the trial would have to have been postponed five or ten years, delaying the process and unraveling mass and multiple controversies for every decision a judge makes, or it could be held with a biased jury who already condemn Nixon guilty before the trial.

If I were to choose between justice for Richard Nixon and the preservation of American greatness and perhaps America itself, I would gladly take the latter.

Thank you! I completely appreciate your misrepresentation of the case to be inherently biased for one side in a satirical manner, thus conveniently making most people overlook the fact that you are misrepresenting your case in an unfair way.

Massive FF.

I appreciate Democrats like you two and Ted Kennedy who respect Ford's courage, honesty, and integrity. What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right. A good leader knows the difference, and does what is right rather than what is popular at the time. For this, history will regard men of courage and honor like Gerald Ford well.

Just interesting that Ford got more positive votes from the Democrats here than the Republicans. I think his views are just out of time with the modern GOP.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 03:00:14 AM »

So what you're saying is that if the President does it, it's not illegal. Or it's illegal, but we're not going to do anything to uphold the law because muh American greatness.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »

So what you're saying is that if the President does it, it's not illegal. Or it's illegal, but we're not going to do anything to uphold the law because muh American greatness.
The justice of the one may die for the sake of the many. Maybe that's me prioritizing America not being in a civil war over serving a criminal his dues. If so, I will gladly accept that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »

The justice of the one may die for the sake of the many. Maybe that's me prioritizing America not being in a civil war over serving a criminal his dues. If so, I will gladly accept that.

So if a criminal is sufficiently popular that their conviction would stir controversy, they are above the law. Got it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »

So if a criminal is sufficiently popular that their conviction would stir controversy, they are above the law. Got it.

I fundamentally believe that everything in a case would divide the country many times over. For examp:

1. Should Richard Nixon be provided bail?
2. How much money is reasonable for bail?
3. How many appeal courts, if any, should take his appeals?
4. Was the judge assigned to the case biased?
5. How long should his sentence be?
6. How big should his fine be?
7. How bad were his crimes?
8. How guilty was he?

Can you imagine such a complicated and long debate, where it would be hard to find someone you agreed with on such fundamental moral questions? A long, protracted debate as important as this could have easily served as the sparks for a revolution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »

These are not political issues. Those are issues for the judicial system to decide. Of course people will have opinions on them (as they did for OJ Simpson), and of course chances are those issues would be politicized (even though they SHOULDN'T). But the idea that they could "spark a revolution" is utterly ludicrous.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »

Citing Ted Kennedy's opinion for how elected officials should be treated after they commit a felony isn't very helpful, by the way.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »

Citing Ted Kennedy's opinion for how elected officials should be treated after they commit a felony isn't very helpful, by the way.
Strangely enough, some of Richard Nixon's strongest... "prosecutors" here are big fans of Ted Kennedy.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 11:37:45 PM »

He's one of the better politicians for the post-Goldwater Republican Party, but the Nixon pardon makes him an HP. It's a bit weird that anyone would consider him to be the second greatest President of all time though, even his fans....
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »

Two Words: Swine Flu.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 03:34:25 AM »

Strangely enough, some of Richard Nixon's strongest... "prosecutors" here are big fans of Ted Kennedy.

Just because I have a cool quote of his in my sig doesn't mean I approve of the guy personally.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:51 AM »

The Nixon pardon automatically makes him trash.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies