Which SEC college counties will Clinton win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:33:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which SEC college counties will Clinton win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Of the counties containing SEC universities, which ones will Hillary Clinton win this fall?
Alachau, FL (Florida)
Clarke, GA (Georgia)
Fayette, KY (Kentucky)
Boone, MO (Mizzou)
Richland, SC (South Carolina)
Knox, TN (Tennessee)
Davidson, TN (Vandy)
Tuscaloosa, AL (Bama)
Washington, AR (Arkansas)
Lee, AL (Auburn)
East Baton Rouge, LA (LSU)
Lafayette, MS (Ole Miss)
Oktibbeha, MS (Mississippi State)
Brazos, TX (TAMU)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which SEC college counties will Clinton win?  (Read 766 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »

I say 9/14 with the exceptions being Lafayette, Brazos, Lee, Washington and Knox
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »

I say 9/14 with the exceptions being Lafayette, Brazos, Lee, Washington and Knox

8/14, add Tuscaloosa to the list of exceptions. Romney won it by about 17.5% in 2012.

You should do a series of this with the other major conferences.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »

8/14, add Tuscaloosa to the list of exceptions. Romney won it by about 17.5% in 2012.

I would imagine the Big 12 is the only other major conference besides the SEC where Trump would have much chance of winning any.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »

I would imagine the Big 12 is the only other major conference besides the SEC where Trump would have much chance of winning any.

There will be a few. At a very quick glance Romney won Tippecanoe County, Indiana (Purdue, Big 10), Montgomery County, Virginia (Virginia Tech, ACC), Maricopa County, Arizona (Arizona State, Pac 12) and (of course) Salt Lake County, Utah (Utah, Pac 12). He was also close in St. Joseph, Indiana (Notre Dame) and I'm sure there are a few more that I forgot about.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »

There will be a few. At a very quick glance Romney won Tippecanoe County, Indiana (Purdue, Big 10), Montgomery County, Virginia (Virginia Tech, ACC), Maricopa County, Arizona (Arizona State, Pac 12) and (of course) Salt Lake County, Utah (Utah, Pac 12). He was also close in St. Joseph, Indiana (Notre Dame) and I'm sure there are a few more that I forgot about.

Pickens County, SC (Clemson, ACC)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:15:36 PM »

Agreed with all....

Tuscaloosa is an interesting county in that it has one of the largest student populations in the state, is home to the legendary "Bear Bryant", who according to an old friend of mine who worked pumping gas in the early '60s in the city of Tuscaloosa, forcibly integrated the college football team, by recruiting African-American athletes from California without telling the White players, flew the Black players in and had a locker room meeting and basically said something to the effect of "welcome to your new teammates".

Additionally there is a major Mercedes Benz plant in the county, and obviously Trump has some major issues with White Educated "Knowledge Workers".

I can't see Clinton winning the county, but suspect the Johnson will do well among the 83% White undergrad population, and Trump will underperform among White Professionals, so it might be a bit closer than in 2012.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »

Definitely  Alachua. That's my home county
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »

8/14 (Normal response).

Not Knox, Tuscaloosa, Washington, Lee, Oktibbeha, Brazos.

Might be some really interesting swings to 3rd Party candidates even in the heart of SEC Football and places where the "Stars and Bars" aren't necessarily unusual even for younger voters.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:13:57 PM »

All 14 of these are going to have a high proportion of #NeverTrump/Establishment type Republicans, so Hillary will probably improve on Obama's margin in all of them.

Proud to say that Oktibbeha will be Hillary and Lafayette (probably) won't.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »

People are really overreaching here.  Aside from Vandy (the best SEC school academically) and Florida (not hardcore southern), I don't see Hillary winning any other SEC county.  The SEC students are not liberal; they lean much more to the right, and I know for a fact that Trump is VERY popular on SEC campuses.  Do not be surprised to see a sea of red MAGA hats at SEC football games this fall. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »

People are really overreaching here.  Aside from Vandy (the best SEC school academically) and Florida (not hardcore southern), I don't see Hillary winning any other SEC county.  The SEC students are not liberal; they lean much more to the right, and I know for a fact that Trump is VERY popular on SEC campuses.  Do not be surprised to see a sea of red MAGA hats at SEC football games this fall. 
Richland County is a Democratic bastion and not because of it being a college town.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »

I suppose if Trump somehow wins he could win 10 of the 14, but even if he improves on Romney nationally (not very likely), it's not going to come from college towns...

O 65   Richland (South Carolina)
O 63   Clarke (Georgia)
O 58   Davidson (Vanderbilt)
O 58   Alachua (Florida)
O 52   East Baton Rouge (LSU)
O 50   Oktibbeha (Mississippi State)
O 50   Boone (Missouri)
O 49   Fayette (Kentucky)
R 56   Washington (Arkansas)
R 57   Lafayette (Ole Miss)
R 58   Tuscaloosa (Alabama)
R 59   Lee (Auburn)
R 64   Knox (Tennessee)
R 66   Brazos (Texas A&M)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 08:38:06 PM »

As a proud member of the SEC, I could promise that, between all 14 schools, there are far more conservatives than liberals.  Florida, Mizzou, and Vandy would be the only ones with even competitive overall student bodies but even these are pretty 50-50, I would imagine.  Maybe there are enough Johnson voters and minorities to put UGA into play as well.  But, as for counties, he'll probably lose Davidson, Richland, Clarke, and Alachua.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »

All but about 5 of them. Most of those have voted Democratic in the past couple of cycles.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies