When will Nevada no longer be considered a swing state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:21:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will Nevada no longer be considered a swing state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-

2028 or later

NEVER, demographic changes only affect the competitiveness of other states.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: When will Nevada no longer be considered a swing state?  (Read 909 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »

Back in 2008, it was understandable to consider Nevada a swing state. Bush won it in 2004 (although polls had a Republican bias that year as well), and polls showed McCain narrowly ahead for most of the summer. After McCain plummeted in the polls, Obama held a narrowly lead, and most people considered it Toss-Up/Lean D. In the end, polls massively underestimated Obama, and people gawked at his 12.4% margin of victory.

Then, in 2010, polls showed Harry Reid narrowly losing to Sharron Angle. Most people believed the polls, and assumed that Reid would probably lose, and that the race was Lean R. Reid not only won, he won by 5.5%, making everyone's jaws drop again.

In the 2012 presidential election, Nevada was again considered a Toss-Up, and people still trusted the polls which showed Obama up by only 1-3%, and assumed it was a very winnable state for Romney. Once again, the polls were wrong, and Obama coasted to a nearly 7% win, despite all of the various factors that were supposed to be working in Romney's favor (high Mormon population, bad housing market, weak job growth, etc.) While Dean Heller did manage to hang on to his seat, the polls for that race also had a Republican bias, generally showing him up by 4-6%, leading most to believe that he was relatively safe against his flawed opponent, Shelley Berkley. He won by 1.2%, barely overperforming Romney, and was helped by many Obama voters voting for NOTA.

Now, once again, people are trusting polls, and calling Nevada a Toss-Up, despite demographics and recent results in Nevada suggesting that Trump should lose in a rout. We'll hear people say that Hillary's ~2% lead in the polls shows that "something MUST be going on in Nevada" or suggesting that white voters without a college degree must be causing Trump to overperform in a state that demographics suggest he should underperform in. I'm confidently predicting that Hillary will comfortably win Nevada, probably by more than even I'm predicting, and AGAIN people's jaws will drop, because Nevada was supposed to be super close.

Anyway, on to the question at hand. When will people stop considering Nevada a swing state? Why do people trust polls showing Nevada closer than demographic models suggest should be possible, and yet dismiss polls showing states like Kentucky, Kansas, Oregon, and Connecticut close? What margin of victory for Hillary would it take to put to rest the idea that Nevada is winnable for Republicans at the national level (barring a change in fortune for Republicans among Latinos)?
Present
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »

Well, there is a notable difference between Nevada and Kentucky, Oregon, Kansas, and Connecticut. The latter were won by the same party for this entire century while Nevada was won by Bush in 04. Unlike Indiana, people didn't view it as a fluke. Even if Trump looses Nevada by large margins this year, I think the GOP will still believe that they can win NV if they can get more support from Hispanics.
Furthermore, several polls are showing that NV is consistently a surprisingly (and oddly) competitive state. The other states you mentioned have far less polling data on them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »

Who ever won Nevada has won the election in every election since 1908 except one in 1976
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »

Um... The last poll(a PPP one Nov. 2-3) in the Nevada Senate race showed Heller up two. Of the last three before that, one showed him up six, one showed him up three, and one showed him tied. Also, Van Der Beek way over performed the polls.

The one that showed him up six was a SUSA poll, so...
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »

Who ever won Nevada has won the election in every election since 1908 except one in 1976

The same is almost true of New Mexico (which Gore won by a mere 300 votes, though that actually makes New Mexico the ultimate popular vote bellwether), but no one considers it a swing state anymore.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 11:58:22 PM »

Nevada isn't considered a swing state now, and it wasn't back in 2012 either.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 12:11:41 AM »

I mostly agree with you, but it's worth noting that the pattern doesn't guarantee anything. During the 2014 cycle, on optimistic days, I argued that polls underestimated Democrats overall in every election since 2004. This was true, and remained consistent through midterms, presidentials, pro Dem waves, and pro GOP waves. So I figured it was likely they would in 2014 as well. We all know how that turned out.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 12:22:39 AM »

I mostly agree with you, but it's worth noting that the pattern doesn't guarantee anything. During the 2014 cycle, on optimistic days, I argued that polls underestimated Democrats overall in every election since 2004. This was true, and remained consistent through midterms, presidentials, pro Dem waves, and pro GOP waves. So I figured it was likely they would in 2014 as well. We all know how that turned out.

That's a good point, and it's certainly possible that polling in general this year could have a Democratic bias. What I can't imagine happening, though, is Hillary doing about 8 points better in CO, VA, and PA than NV, and even doing better in OH and FL than NV. It's also worth mentioning that sometimes, polling errors in states just don't go away. Last year, I thought that Kentucky polls could very well have improved, and that pollsters might have fixed some of the issues that led to their polls having Democratic bias in the past. We all know how that turned out. Nevada's a rapidly changing state, so it's even more understandable why it would be a tough state to poll.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »

2020 after Clinton crushes Trump by 13 points in November.
TrumpCard
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »

I don't know that it's a "swing" state now.  Battleground is a better term.  It's been more than 2 points center-left in the last two elections.  Trump is doing better there now than I expected though. 
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »

Nevada polling is always awful, but I think it's Lean now and will be Likely by 2024-ish.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 11:29:30 PM »

Nevada will remain a swing state for a foreseeable time.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »

When a Republican president can win without Nevada, then it's not a swing state anymore.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »

Hard to say, but I think by 2024 demographics will finally have reached the point of no return. Until then it should be quite competitive (particularly with its many uneducated white voters)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 09:05:37 AM »

Hard to say, but I think by 2024 demographics will finally have reached the point of no return. Until then it should be quite competitive (particularly with its many uneducated white voters)

I love your display name haha
Medal506
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »

It could go to trump
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies