Prediction: Jill Stein will win more votes than Trump on Ivy League campuses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:04:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Prediction: Jill Stein will win more votes than Trump on Ivy League campuses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prediction: Jill Stein will win more votes than Trump on Ivy League campuses  (Read 638 times)
Arbitrage1980
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:08:44 PM »

I thought about this after seeing the SEC college towns thread. Having grown up in the Deep South and attended 2 Ivy League schools (undergrad and MBA), I wanted to reflect a bit on this.

During the 2004 election I was an undergrad.  Only a few of my good friends knew I was a conservative Republican.  Professors routinely mocked Bush in class (totally unprofessional in my opinion), and my classmates viewed Bush as an evil dumb warmonger.  Ralph Nader, who ran as an independent that year, got more votes on my college campus than Bush; nationally, he got a measly 0.3% of the vote. From talking to young people, it is crystal clear that Trump is more despised on Ivy League campuses than even W Bush was. According to my cousin, a current student at an Ivy League school, the students and professors are borderline apocalyptic about the prospect of a Trump presidency. 

Now, it is true that students at elite colleges have been liberal for quite some time, but it was not always like this.  Back in college I remember talking to one of my favorite professors, a man who taught at the same school since the late 60's and one of the few conservatives on faculty.  He recalled that during the 1984 campaign, a bunch of students would wear Reagan-Bush 84 buttons and that Reagan won around 40% of the vote on campus, an unthinkable figure for today's GOP.  A bunch of stuff happened since then that has unfortunately made the GOP anathema to well-educated young people.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:55:05 PM »

I'm sure Trump will come in 4th place on many college campuses. He's incredibly unpopular among young people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »

You may be right, but it's only thanks to Trump's profound unpopularity with Ivy League types. I can't imagine anti-vaxx anti-wifi (WTF?) rando towncouncilwoman Stein getting anywhere near the % that Nader got with highly educated people.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:39:41 PM »

You may be right, but it's only thanks to Trump's profound unpopularity with Ivy League types. I can't imagine anti-vaxx anti-wifi (WTF?) rando towncouncilwoman Stein getting anywhere near the % that Nader got with highly educated people.
You underestimate the stupidity of the far-left on colleges. She hates Israel (not saying they don't deserve criticism) and her VP is a conspiracy nut when it comes to American foreign policy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »

Who knew taking on ridiculous sums of debt would make people do such ridiculous things?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies