Who will win PA-9 General?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:16:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win PA-9 General?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -
Bill Shuster R (I)

Arthur Halvorson D/R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Who will win PA-9 General?  (Read 840 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »

In one of the most strange Congressional elections this year, Incumbent Republican Congressman Bill Shuster is running for Re-Election against Tea Party and primary  opponent Arthur Halvorson. Shuster won the primary by less then 1%. So who wins, I will guess Shuster wins by 5-10 points, while Halvorson benefits from some straight ticket voting by Democrats, most independents and Democrats will support the more moderate Shuster.       
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:18:17 PM »

Shuster won his primary fair and square, I imagine a majority of Republicans support him in the general, Halvorson can be painted as an opportunist. Meanwhile, I read that the Democrats in that district are supporting a write-in candidate.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 08:32:23 PM »

I'm supporting Halvorson but Shuster should sadly win.
swf541

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »

As someone who is in the district (I live on the MD-PA border) I expect Halvorson to win or at least one the area I border.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:00:35 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 05:50:52 PM by Vosem »

Unfortunately probably Shuster, even though he's objectively terrible. I wouldn't be confident at all about this race, considering we've rarely gotten anything like it and in cases where we have (several California races in 2012, especially Stark v Swalwell or Baca v McLeod) they tend to break against the incumbent. The (D) on the ballot will hinder Halvorson, though.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 01:32:04 AM »

I have a question: what type of Democrat you must be to vote for ultra-right Halvorson in primary? Is this area full of James Eastland-type southern Dixiecrats, despite being in Pennsylvania???)))))
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »

I have a question: what type of Democrat you must be to vote for ultra-right Halvorson in primary? Is this area full of James Eastland-type southern Dixiecrats, despite being in Pennsylvania???)))))

You just have to be upset about Shuster using his position to give favors to his lobbyist girlfriend. Not all elections necessarily have to be about ideology, especially for lower-level positions like this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »

You just have to be upset about Shuster using his position to give favors to his lobbyist girlfriend. Not all elections necessarily have to be about ideology, especially for lower-level positions like this.

Yeah, for whatever reason that scandal has had real staying power in this district.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »

Shuster.
swf541

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

It has straight ticket voting and the Dem p votarty in this area isnt too well organized.  A good bit of Dems probably wont realize who they are voting for and will just fill in the vote straight party option
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies