College Republicans Are Split Over Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:26:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  College Republicans Are Split Over Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: College Republicans Are Split Over Trump  (Read 1827 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-college-republicans-fights-227412?utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange

Interesting article.  this is not a good sign at all for Trump.  If young Republicans are torn over the nominee, imagine how young independents must feel about him.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »

Young independents are split between Clinton, 3rd party, and not voting. The Democrats still have a lot of work on this front.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »

Interesting, I read the entire article.
Young people more than ever, are inclusive to others who are different than they are.
trump brings nothing but 1950's style divisiveness to our nation, and college students have every right to reject it and the candidate that it represents.
The orange-haired clown is a disgrace to the US.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »

As a College Republican, this article is very accurate. 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »

Let's just say it's not good for him when someone at my college went to the length of writing "#NEVERCLINTON" "#NEVERTRUMP" "Vote Libertarian!" in chalk on a stairway to a fairly major building on Campus. Also there's actually a formal student group for Johnson/Weld supporters, though I don't know how sizable it is.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »

Most college Republicans here despise Trump and many are considering not voting at all in the Presidential contest.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »

Most college Republicans here despise Trump and many are considering not voting at all in the Presidential contest.

That's because American universities are failing our youth by indoctrinating them with left-wing propaganda in the classroom. Just look at all these college professors. They're all liberal democrats. And then we wonder what's wrong with our country.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »

That's because American universities are failing our youth by indoctrinating them with left-wing propaganda in the classroom. Just look at all these college professors. They're all liberal democrats. And then we wonder what's wrong with our country.

Care demonstrating how this indoctrination is taking place? Because all I'm hearing from you are the standard anti-intellectual right-wing talking points used to defund our education systems and dumb down the population or reduce opportunities for those who could have afforded it otherwise.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »

It seems quite clear that Trump will do much worse than Romney among young voters.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »

Care demonstrating how this indoctrination is taking place? Because all I'm hearing from you are the standard anti-intellectual right-wing talking points used to defund our education systems and dumb down the population or reduce opportunities for those who could have afforded it otherwise.

Just look at what's happening on these college campuses with their safe spaces, trigger warnings, white privilege crap, and teaching how capitalism is bad, that America has done nothing but kill people and invaded everyone as if we haven't done anything good. Or look at them teaching about "global warming". Now they're even trying to force little girls to share the bathroom with guys at school. How is that not indoctrinating?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 12:08:45 PM »

Just look at what's happening on these college campuses with their safe spaces, trigger warnings, white privilege crap, and teaching how capitalism is bad, that America has done nothing but kill people and invaded everyone as if we haven't done anything good. Or look at them teaching about "global warming". Now they're even trying to force little girls to share the bathroom with guys at school. How is that not indoctrinating?

Lol
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »

lol, okay then, where do I begin?

1) Safe spaces and trigger warnings are part of a larger social effort to be more conscientious of other people. If you think this lifts up some sort of weakness, then you don't understand it.

2) White privilege exists. Get over it if you can't acknowledge it. Being a white man myself, I do.

3) Capitalism is taught to have both merits and shortcomings, like any other economic system.

4) America has done a lot of killing and invading, obviously, but we're still a great nation and the positions taken on this are factual and based on each student's worldview. No class in a self-respecting university requires a particular ideology for a student's success. Again, a washed-up talking point with no substance.

5) Global warming is a fact, just like gravity is a constant force. If you are anti-science and anti-facts then the University is not for you, but don't drag down the rest of society with your bronze age belief system.

6) Nobody is trying to "force little girls" or "women" (for that matter) to share bathrooms with guys on school. If you're referring to the trans community by this, you're wasting my time. This is a non-issue that was brought up recently by the GOP to divide us further. Why are we talking about this while convicted rapists and pedophiles are sharing bathrooms with children, regardless of gender? Really.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 12:22:39 PM »

1) Safe spaces and trigger warnings are part of a larger social effort to be more conscientious of other people. If you think this lifts up some sort of weakness, then you don't understand it.

2) White privilege exists. Get over it if you can't acknowledge it. Being a white man myself, I do.

3) Capitalism is taught to have both merits and shortcomings, like any other economic system.

4) America has done a lot of killing and invading, obviously, but we're still a great nation and the positions taken on this are factual and based on each student's worldview. No class in a self-respecting university requires a particular ideology for a student's success. Again, a washed-up talking point with no substance.

5) Global warming is a fact, just like gravity is a constant force. If you are anti-science and anti-facts then the University is not for you, but don't drag down the rest of society with your bronze age belief system.

6) Nobody is trying to "force little girls" or "women" (for that matter) to share bathrooms with guys on school. If you're referring to the trans community by this, you're wasting my time. This is a non-issue that was brought up recently by the GOP to divide us further. Why are we talking about this while convicted rapists and pedophiles are sharing bathrooms with children, regardless of gender? Really.

You probably went into debt to be taught this nonsense lmao. Shows what your education was worth.

1. No they're just to coddle people and shelter them from the real world like babies rather than making grow up and deal with reality. Life sucks sometimes and people aren't going to hold your hand. Deal with it.

2. White privilege is complete nonsense. There are poor white people too and white people are killed by police more than blacks. There are white people who face racist attacks too. If you think this is just for minorities then it just shows how little you know.

3. That's fine if capitalism is taught like that. But it's not. People are taught that the failed communist countries were better than ours and more just. Look at all these college kids supporting communist Bernie Sanders!

4. Yeah we've done some bad in history. No doubt. But all this blame about America causing terrorism and stuff that college kids talk is just more anti-American rhetoric. They had to learn it somewhere.

5. It's a theory not a fact. Figure out the difference. Besides there's no proof for it anyway. If anything the earth has been cooling the past 20 years. Experts have shown this to be true.

6. This was an issue started by the liberals because they want to force their perverted ideas of "gender" on our kids and risk our daughters using the bathroom with men. Do you deny that perverts could take advantage of these new rules Obama single-handedly forced on our schools?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »

I can't quite speak for Misoir but I'll take a stab at answering the question. While I would agree that the majority of professors are liberal Democrats, I don't the majority of them actively use their classrooms as a pulpit for indoctrination. Yet, numerous studies report a leftward trajectory of students' views as they attend American universities, particularly on what we call social issues. So this must either mean that the left views are inherently more intelligent than conservative views or that there is something about the process driving the shift. I would argue the shift happens for two reasons:

1. The college atmosphere outside of the classroom is incredibly liberal. Part of this is inertia from older students who in previous years acclimated themselves to the progressive campus environment. People have a tendency to think like those around them and conform to their views. Thus the process goes on indefinitely. Part of it too is that the university administration's campus vision, which is encouraged throughout the university, places additional value on qualities we would consider to be left wing without any balance. The university bends over backwards to favor values like tolerance, diversity, inclusion, etc. but does ignores values like temperance, chastity, truth, etc. even among elements of those values that can be largely agreed upon right and left. The result is years worth of subtle social pressure.

2. When universities do cover topics that are politically contraversial, there are large numbers of academics who are unable to consider anything beyond their political paradigm. It is not impossible for a conservative to succeed in such an environment (I know many who do!) but it is very difficult when their entire department is, say going to an anti-Walker protest, or demanding artifacts from ancient civilizations be analyzed either through a Marxist lens or a hermeneutic of feminism. Yes, I know people who are graduate students in departments where that sort of thing is common. When teaching, they often maintain the guise of neutrality but it is a bad neutrality. For example, many people are taught arguments for the existence of God such as the Ontological Argument or the Argument from Biological Complexity or somesuch thing without, say, Cosmological Arguments, which someone might actually believe. It's sort of like when Fox News was trying to 'Fair and Balanced' and put on a token Democrat to talk over all the time. In the case of universities, it's probably not even intentional! There are a lot of left wingers in academia who sincerely think they are giving the opposite view a fair discussion.

Part of the blame for all of this also lies squarely with the right for lashing out at academia and the intellect more broadly instead of refining counter-arguments for the points the left has been making. William of Ockham once famously declared that only faith alone gives us access to theological truths and that the ways of God are not open to reason. In taking on that view, segments of the Christian right have reduced Christianity in the eyes of many to a mere aspect of culture along with food, music, or dance, or perhaps to a convenient lie. By spending centuries trying to separate the truth from reason, its very proponents have fueled its demise. If this thing is ever going to turn around, the right must stop attacking intellectualism and use their intellect to defend the truth. There are great, defensible, intellectual arguments that have been made throughout history with very right wing conclusions. No one talks about them. It's time to shake off the dust on your copies of the Summa and consider why the fences they're trying to stop the left from tearing down were put up in the first place.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

I mean these walls of text don't really hold up when the group of people we are talking about is the college Republicans, which for the most part are just as conservative as the average GOP primary voter. They're not being swayed by the words of liberal professors; they've been driven away by Trump himself.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 01:12:30 PM by Arch »

You probably went into debt to be taught this nonsense lmao. Shows what your education was worth.

1. No they're just to coddle people and shelter them from the real world like babies rather than making grow up and deal with reality. Life sucks sometimes and people aren't going to hold your hand. Deal with it.

2. White privilege is complete nonsense. There are poor white people too and white people are killed by police more than blacks. There are white people who face racist attacks too. If you think this is just for minorities then it just shows how little you know.

3. That's fine if capitalism is taught like that. But it's not. People are taught that the failed communist countries were better than ours and more just. Look at all these college kids supporting communist Bernie Sanders!

4. Yeah we've done some bad in history. No doubt. But all this blame about America causing terrorism and stuff that college kids talk is just more anti-American rhetoric. They had to learn it somewhere.

5. It's a theory not a fact. Figure out the difference. Besides there's no proof for it anyway. If anything the earth has been cooling the past 20 years. Experts have shown this to be true.

6. This was an issue started by the liberals because they want to force their perverted ideas of "gender" on our kids and risk our daughters using the bathroom with men. Do you deny that perverts could take advantage of these new rules Obama single-handedly forced on our schools?

1) You don't understand it. Go research it.

2) White people face discrimination, not racism. Racism has to be institutionalized and systematic; discrimination is racism without those aspects. Of course, white privilege is a lot more than just racism. It's about not experiencing innately-built road blocks on practically every aspect of life ASIDE from whatever usually could ail someone, e.g poverty.

The rulings on the convicted college-age rapists versus African-Americans who are charged with the same crime are a prime example, but also being the target of: racial profiling, stereotypical-belief-held institutional roadblocks, etc.

3) It is taught like that. Sorry to burst your bubble. The problem is that when people think critically of anything, they won't see it as infallible against other systems, and that's what creates the perception that you think is there, but isn't.

4) College courses do not teach anyone to hate America. Do you not get this?

5) You're trying to lecture a PhD student on the definition of the scientific method. A scientific theory is not a social theory. They are very different senses of the homonym "theory." A scientific theory is tested and tried thousands of times before it's called that. It offers a model from which we can understand observable phenomena.

Yes, scientific theories are open to revision, but the EVENT ITSELF never changes, just the explanation for it, if ever. Global warming is the event. It's there. You can say it doesn't exist and close your eyes, but it's there, sorry. You can argue for how it's better to solve it or reduce its effects, but not its existence.

6) As far as I know, HB2 and McCrory are not liberal in any way. Also, answer my question. More politicians have committed sex crimes in bathrooms than trans folk. Why aren't you legislating that?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »

I mean these walls of text don't really hold up when the group of people we are talking about is the college Republicans, which for the most part are just as conservative as the average GOP primary voter. They're not being swayed by the words of liberal professors; they've been driven away by Trump himself.

This is true, but I'm making a broader point.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »

I agree with you when it comes to white privilege being mainly nonsense as well as political correctness going too far at times on college campuses, but I disagree with everything else you posted.

3. Have you ever heard of the term "mixed economy?" I don't think there is a purely capitalist country in the world right now; every advanced country has an effective combination of free enterprise, and socialistic programs. why is this a bad thing? Sometimes the free market fails people. I'm sure you would like to go back to the late 1800's when child labor was legal and robber barons ran roughshod over the U.S. Economy.

4. Bernie Sanders isn't a Communist, he is a Democratic Socialist. There is a difference friend. Joseph Stalin was a communist dictator as was Leonid Brezhnev, Berne Sanders is in favor of maintaining elements of free enterprise, but also believes that major banks should not have a stranglehold over the U.S. Economy. Deregulation has also been a disaster for this country.

5. This one is just laughable. Almost every scientist agrees that global warming is real and man-made.

6. Why is this even an issue with you? Who do you fear more, a transgender or gay person, or a convicted Rapist? Why does a transgender person using the men's bathroom bother you so much? Are you one of those conservatives that advocates for smaller government, but wants to regulate the personal decisions of every person who has a different lifestyle than you?

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »

(Regarding Global Warming ....)

This is where he loses me the most.
97% of all scientist in the world, many of them specializing in the environment, agree that human activity plays a moderate-to-major role in the problems our planet is seeing with global warming.
These are very, very smart individuals. This is their specialized area of expertise.
They are almost unanimous with their call (97% !).... why would we doubt them.
And this "earth is cooling" nonsense .... where they hell is that coming from ?
Is this new dude trolling us or what ?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 01:13:47 PM »

Don't bother trying to reason with an anti-intellectual. To them, reason is the enemy.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 01:21:38 PM »

(Regarding Global Warming ....)

This is where he loses me the most.
97% of all scientist in the world, many of them specializing in the environment, agree that human activity plays a moderate-to-major role in the problems our planet is seeing with global warming.
These are very, very smart individuals. This is their specialized area of expertise.
They are almost unanimous with their call (97% !).... why would we doubt them.
And this "earth is cooling" nonsense .... where they hell is that coming from ?
Is this new dude trolling us or what ?

Sorry to burst your bubble...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012/05/31/sorry-global-warming-alarmists-the-earth-is-cooling/#75792eaf1281
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/17/paul-driessen-earth-may-be-cooling-no-warming/
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »

Any sane/educated person would acknowledge that capitalism is bad and that global warming exists. Has nothing to do with "indoctrination".

Sane and educated aren't the same thing. With our left-wing college campuses it's more like educated and indoctrinated are the same. That you think capitalism is bad and global warming exists simply proves my point.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »

This sentiment goes beyond college students - well into the mid-30's.

This is not to say that there aren't younger Republicans who are for Trump - but these folks tend to fit very firmly in other Trump-supporting demographics.  The urban/rural dynamic is very much at play here too.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »

Trump is losing a majority of college Republicans. The fact that those who would feel strongly enough about their allegiance to join a College Republican organization are still mostly not behind him is just icing on the cake.
Buzz

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »

I'm a College Republican, and a proud Trump supporter!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies