College Republicans Are Split Over Trump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:44:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  College Republicans Are Split Over Trump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Republicans Are Split Over Trump  (Read 1874 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: August 27, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »

Most college Republicans here despise Trump and many are considering not voting at all in the Presidential contest.

That's because American universities are failing our youth by indoctrinating them with left-wing propaganda in the classroom. Just look at all these college professors. They're all liberal democrats. And then we wonder what's wrong with our country.

Care demonstrating how this indoctrination is taking place? Because all I'm hearing from you are the standard anti-intellectual right-wing talking points used to defund our education systems and dumb down the population or reduce opportunities for those who could have afforded it otherwise.

I can't quite speak for Misoir but I'll take a stab at answering the question. While I would agree that the majority of professors are liberal Democrats, I don't the majority of them actively use their classrooms as a pulpit for indoctrination. Yet, numerous studies report a leftward trajectory of students' views as they attend American universities, particularly on what we call social issues. So this must either mean that the left views are inherently more intelligent than conservative views or that there is something about the process driving the shift. I would argue the shift happens for two reasons:

1. The college atmosphere outside of the classroom is incredibly liberal. Part of this is inertia from older students who in previous years acclimated themselves to the progressive campus environment. People have a tendency to think like those around them and conform to their views. Thus the process goes on indefinitely. Part of it too is that the university administration's campus vision, which is encouraged throughout the university, places additional value on qualities we would consider to be left wing without any balance. The university bends over backwards to favor values like tolerance, diversity, inclusion, etc. but does ignores values like temperance, chastity, truth, etc. even among elements of those values that can be largely agreed upon right and left. The result is years worth of subtle social pressure.

2. When universities do cover topics that are politically contraversial, there are large numbers of academics who are unable to consider anything beyond their political paradigm. It is not impossible for a conservative to succeed in such an environment (I know many who do!) but it is very difficult when their entire department is, say going to an anti-Walker protest, or demanding artifacts from ancient civilizations be analyzed either through a Marxist lens or a hermeneutic of feminism. Yes, I know people who are graduate students in departments where that sort of thing is common. When teaching, they often maintain the guise of neutrality but it is a bad neutrality. For example, many people are taught arguments for the existence of God such as the Ontological Argument or the Argument from Biological Complexity or somesuch thing without, say, Cosmological Arguments, which someone might actually believe. It's sort of like when Fox News was trying to 'Fair and Balanced' and put on a token Democrat to talk over all the time. In the case of universities, it's probably not even intentional! There are a lot of left wingers in academia who sincerely think they are giving the opposite view a fair discussion.

Part of the blame for all of this also lies squarely with the right for lashing out at academia and the intellect more broadly instead of refining counter-arguments for the points the left has been making. William of Ockham once famously declared that only faith alone gives us access to theological truths and that the ways of God are not open to reason. In taking on that view, segments of the Christian right have reduced Christianity in the eyes of many to a mere aspect of culture along with food, music, or dance, or perhaps to a convenient lie. By spending centuries trying to separate the truth from reason, its very proponents have fueled its demise. If this thing is ever going to turn around, the right must stop attacking intellectualism and use their intellect to defend the truth. There are great, defensible, intellectual arguments that have been made throughout history with very right wing conclusions. No one talks about them. It's time to shake off the dust on your copies of the Summa and consider why the fences they're trying to stop the left from tearing down were put up in the first place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies