Is this a freedom letter - or not?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:39:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is this a freedom letter - or not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is this a freedom letter -  or not?
Freedom  letter

Horrible letter

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Is this a freedom letter - or not?  (Read 1629 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »

Some might view the letter below as literally a freedom letter. Others might say it is facilitating  the campus becoming an intellectual toxic waste dump. Your choose. It's from the Dean of Students to the incoming Freshmen class of my alma mater, the University of Chicago.

this letter[/url]
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »

Completely missed the point of trigger warnings and safe spaces, HL.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »

What do you view the point of these strictures that was missed?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 11:13:37 AM by Murica! »

Trigger warnings for example are not meant to keep people from "being offended"  but to warn people who may be forced to relive painful memories. For example a discussion of rape may cause a victim of sexual assault to have flashbacks or things of the sort. Safe spaces are not about anyone blocking out other opinions, but to allow people who have suffered trauma or abuse(such as the LGBT community) to meet others who have had similar experiences and not be criticized for being gay or trans or in a slightly more extreme example as victims of rape not having assholes claim that they are lying.

I truly hope that that made sense
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »

Massive FL
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »

^

The elite colleges who disagree with this letter are already massive intellectual toxic waste dumps.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »

Love it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 01:29:42 PM by Green Line »

Freedom Letter.  Many of my Facebook friends are having a meltdown over it.

I also LOVE that this is indirectly taking a shot at DePaul University.  That administration has let their students walk all over them, and it's pathetic.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 02:24:01 PM »

Big FL.  My Facebook feed is the most excited they have been since Hillary's emails or the undercover Planned Parenthood videos over this!  And, what schools have expressly disagreed with it?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 02:26:57 PM by shua »

Trigger warnings for example are not meant to keep people from "being offended"  but to warn people who may be forced to relive painful memories. For example a discussion of rape may cause a victim of sexual assault to have flashbacks or things of the sort. Safe spaces are not about anyone blocking out other opinions, but to allow people who have suffered trauma or abuse(such as the LGBT community) to meet others who have had similar experiences and not be criticized for being gay or trans or in a slightly more extreme example as victims of rape not having assholes claim that they are lying.

That is what the concept was supposed to be originally I think, however it has extended well beyond that to protect people from being offended by certain ideas.   I agree with the spirit of the letter, but I think it could have been more clear about understanding that there is a place for the type of the thing you describe, so long as it is not carried out in a way that stifles debate and discussion, or shuts out challenging material from being part of courses.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »

Huge Freedom Letter (actually understands the entire point of a university)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »

Huge Freedom Letter (actually understands the entire point of a university)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 01:19:29 AM »

This hits the nail on the head.

To answer to OP, the letter is obviously disgusting. In fact, I would reconsider attending any university that could so boastfully send out a letter clearly sh-tting on folks who already face more than enough marginalization every day.

Safe spaces do not exist so that people can cower from intellectual debate. They exist because some "ideas" aren't based in intellectualism at all and are objectively harmful.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 03:36:14 AM »

Absolute freedom letter!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 03:41:37 AM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »

To answer to OP, the letter is obviously disgusting. In fact, I would reconsider attending any university that could so boastfully send out a letter clearly sh-tting on folks who already face more than enough marginalization every day.

Safe spaces do not exist so that people can cower from intellectual debate. They exist because some "ideas" aren't based in intellectualism at all and are objectively harmful.

You place some sort of premium on human suffering, as though that were the default.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »

I support trigger warnings and safe spaces for those who need them. The context in which this letter refers to those terms, however, is not what I support. People who need shelter from those who perpetuate ideals that differ from their own are feeble and shouldn't be able to dictate intellectual discourse, especially on a college campus. There are no safe spaces in real life. It is completely inappropriate to censor anyone, no matter how idiotic their views may be. It is up to individuals to decide whether or not to listen to or accept those messages.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »

Horrible letter. The right wing obsession with safe spaces is getting frustrating.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »

While I do think that the terms "trigger warning" and "safe space" have been overused to the point where they've sort of lost their meaning, I think this letter misses the point of them. Yes, people shouldn't use them as a form of censorship or preventing students from getting exposure to alternative viewpoints, but shouldn't a student who has been a victim of rape at least be given fair warning if a class is going to cover literature that includes a rape scene, which could bring back actually traumatic memories for them?

There are certainly cases in which these should be used, though of course, they shouldn't be overused.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 11:15:23 AM »

awesome
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »

Horrible letter. The right wing obsession with safe spaces is getting frustrating.
lol
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »

You place some sort of premium on human suffering, as though that were the default.

It's lines of thought like this that make me support leaders who are not straight white men just because they are not straight white men. I don't mean to be offensive, but for some, oppression and being made to feel "less than" are constant. That's why safe spaces are needed, and I guess it's pretty clear that some people are incapable of understanding that, simply by virtue of their own rosier experiences. But to speak from one's own place of privilege and assume that safe spaces are simply safe havens from intellectual discourse is pretty ignorant. It's projecting a meaning onto these places that only comes from one perspective... and that perspective seems to be fear of owning up to the fact that people with privilege are sometimes complicit in making safe spaces necessary in the first place.

Yes, it does happen that safe spaces are abused by those who want an echo chamber. But again, it is not the primary purpose of them, and this letter just completely spits on the people who need these places most. It's a pretty elitist and wilfully ignorant way of looking at the safe space.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

lol

Uh...? Do you really think people are happy that they sometimes feel like they need a safe space? Do you really think people on the left like them? It would be fantastic if they weren't needed at all, but it's not for a person with privilege to decide for people without it that these spaces are obsolete. The only people who are offended by safe spaces are people who are too fragile to own up to the fact that society collectively makes them necessary. What is really so threatening about the [legitimate] safe space?
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »

While I do think that the terms "trigger warning" and "safe space" have been overused to the point where they've sort of lost their meaning, I think this letter misses the point of them. Yes, people shouldn't use them as a form of censorship or preventing students from getting exposure to alternative viewpoints, but shouldn't a student who has been a victim of rape at least be given fair warning if a class is going to cover literature that includes a rape scene, which could bring back actually traumatic memories for them?

There are certainly cases in which these should be used, though of course, they shouldn't be overused.

Exactly. I think this letter was written to gain publicity, not for any other reason.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies