Is this a freedom letter - or not? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:24:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is this a freedom letter - or not? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this a freedom letter -  or not?
Freedom  letter

Horrible letter

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Is this a freedom letter - or not?  (Read 1663 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: August 27, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »

Huge Freedom Letter (actually understands the entire point of a university)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »

Horrible letter. The right wing obsession with safe spaces is getting frustrating.
lol
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2016, 12:46:09 PM by DavidB. »

Horrible letter. The right wing obsession with safe spaces is getting frustrating.
lol
Uh...? Do you really think people are happy that they sometimes feel like they need a safe space? Do you really think people on the left like them? It would be fantastic if they weren't needed at all, but it's not for a person with privilege to decide for people without it that these spaces are obsolete. The only people who are offended by safe spaces are people who are too fragile to own up to the fact that society collectively makes them necessary. What is really so threatening about the [legitimate] safe space?
No, people in need of a safe space are probably not happy. That doesn't mean it's universities' responsibility to provide these places, or censor other people. Students are adults. They should learn that in the real world, one is sometimes confronted with things (or words) that may appear to be threatening or that make one recall unpleasant past experiences. By creating a world of safe spaces and trigger warnings, you prevent a person from growing stronger and coping with their experiences and you shield them from the real world.

The remark that I'd be a "person with privilege" and, therefore, am not allowed to have an opinion of safe spaces is also ludicrous, especially given the fact that you don't know anything about me or my supposed "privilege". I experienced some f'ed up things. But I'm not going to demand my university to create a safe space or shield me from people or words that may make me recall that stuff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies