Is this a freedom letter - or not? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:06:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is this a freedom letter - or not? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this a freedom letter -  or not?
Freedom  letter

Horrible letter

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Is this a freedom letter - or not?  (Read 1669 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 27, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2016, 02:26:57 PM by shua »

Completely missed the point of trigger warnings and safe spaces, HL.

What do you view the point of these strictures that was missed?
Trigger warnings for example are not meant to keep people from "being offended"  but to warn people who may be forced to relive painful memories. For example a discussion of rape may cause a victim of sexual assault to have flashbacks or things of the sort. Safe spaces are not about anyone blocking out other opinions, but to allow people who have suffered trauma or abuse(such as the LGBT community) to meet others who have had similar experiences and not be criticized for being gay or trans or in a slightly more extreme example as victims of rape not having assholes claim that they are lying.

I truly hope that that made sense

That is what the concept was supposed to be originally I think, however it has extended well beyond that to protect people from being offended by certain ideas.   I agree with the spirit of the letter, but I think it could have been more clear about understanding that there is a place for the type of the thing you describe, so long as it is not carried out in a way that stifles debate and discussion, or shuts out challenging material from being part of courses.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies