Anti-Trump Republicans to launch ad buys in swing states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:15:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Anti-Trump Republicans to launch ad buys in swing states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-Trump Republicans to launch ad buys in swing states  (Read 1411 times)
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/anti-trump-republicans-ad-buy-227469

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump dropping out is a fever dream (of pretty much everybody), but this ad could definitely be effective.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:24:21 PM »

I hope every day that he will drop out. This ad isn't bad but it isn't good. Hopefully though, Trump will drop out regardless.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »

I hope every day that he will drop out. This ad isn't bad but it isn't good. Hopefully though, Trump will drop out regardless.

Wow.
Even our "young conservative" is confused.
There is very little allegiance to the orange-haired clown.
As a middle-aged individual, who follows and participates in American politics, I have not seen this level of fracture within a party.
So many Pubs are either right-out saying they will vote for Hillary, voting for a third-party candidate, not voting at all, or are so confused their head is spinning.
Amazing.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:26:46 PM »

In the primaries for your party, the candidates are all relatively similar. Yeah you have "establisment shill" and "outsider" and "conservative champion" but everyone agrees on a clear majority of the issues. So if you're going nowhere, just drop out and try again in 4 years. None of your opponents are all THAT bad.

But in the general, it's different. If you drop out, you're handing the election to the other major party candidate. Yeah, the party leaders could replace Trump, but they'd have to find someone really good at both fundraising and appeal to Trump enthusiasts WITHOUT offending everyone else. It just seems difficult.

Also, the party leaders might have to pay Trump some amount of money to get him to drop out. It just kinds of seems weird that the same party leaders who declared Trump the presumptive nominee before Kasich dropped out of the race, the same party leaders who selected the rules committee that actually strengthened delegate binding, the same party leaders who whipped states into withdrawing their names from both a roll call rules vote petition and a Cruz nomination speech petition (the latter would have actually been totally fruitless thanks to the binding), the same party leaders who ensured nobody would run against Pence for VP, and the same party leaders who creatively interpreted the rules to ensure that the roll call would contain as many votes for Trump as possible, would suddenly turn around and pay their candidate a large sum of money to drop out of the race.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »

As if some other Pub candidate could win if Trump dropped out.

Trump is the Republican Party's best chance. If he fails, the Dems will rule for decades and transform the country through their social engineering policies. The Pubs as we know them will never win an election again. They will go the way of the Whigs.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 01:37:57 AM »

Trump is the Republican Party's best chance. If he fails, the Dems will rule for decades and transform the country through their social engineering policies. The Pubs as we know them will never win an election again. They will go the way of the Whigs.

...No.
The gays are coming!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:02:32 AM »

I don't see what's wrong with that. It's the free market at work, friends!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:08:31 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2016, 03:15:35 AM by Ronnie »

I think your sense of fatalism is a sign that you are desperate to keep the Republican on the trajectory that it's on, no matter how hopeless it clearly is.  It's an attitude that Ann Coulter and other tea party members have expressed, but I don't really understand it.  It is possible for Republicans to win nationwide again. But in order to do so, Republican presidential candidates, apparatchiks, and voters will have to be willing to make their case to black and brown people if they want to reverse the trends of states like Florida and Georgia.  They can do it without becoming Democrat-lite.  They just have to learn to talk to them in a way that resonates with their aspirations, and not at them, as Trump has been doing.

I voted for Mitt Romney in 2012, and while I have shifted somewhat to the left since then, I really don't want this country to become a one-party state.  I worry deeply about the GOP resigning itself to becoming the party of white grievance, only clinging to power through gerrymandering (which may not be a permanent solution), and by relying on lower minority turnout in midterm years.  And I further fear that reality might come into fruition if Republicans don't work overtime to expand their appeal to non-white demographics immediately after Trump gets clobbered on November.  
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 03:17:46 AM »

I think your sense of fatalism is a sign that you are desperate to keep the Republican on the trajectory that it's on, no matter how hopeless it clearly is.  It's an attitude that Ann Coulter and other tea party members have expressed, but I don't really understand it.  It is possible for Republicans to win nationwide again. But in order to do so, Republican presidential candidates, apparatchiks, and voters will have to be willing to make their case to black and brown people if they want to reverse the trends of states like Florida and Georgia.  They can do it without becoming Democrat-lite.  They just have to learn to talk to them in a way that resonates with their aspirations, and not at them, as Trump has been doing.

I voted for Mitt Romney in 2012, and while I have shifted somewhat to the left since then, I really don't want this country to become a one-party state.  I worry deeply about the GOP resigning itself to becoming the party of white grievance, only clinging to power through gerrymandering (which may not be a permanent solution), and by relying on lower minority turnout in midterm years.  And I further fear that reality might come into fruition if Republicans don't work overtime to expand their appeal to non-white demographics immediately after Trump gets clobbered on November.  

Well said.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:12:38 AM »

"This is reflected by the many national and battleground state polls that now show Mr. Trump tied or leading"

Lol, Trump's campaign.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 06:31:10 AM »

Trump was nominated fair and square whether these anti-democratic RINOs like it or not. The Republican voters spoke and Trump was their voice. He represents the majority of our party's aspirations and concerns. Not these liberals who'd rather see crooked Hillary president appointing supreme court justices that'd further take our nation away from God and freedom.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »

Trump was nominated fair and square whether these anti-democratic RINOs like it or not. The Republican voters spoke and Trump was their voice. He represents the majority of our party's aspirations and concerns. Not these liberals who'd rather see crooked Hillary president appointing supreme court justices that'd further take our nation away from God and freedom.

Actually, a majority of voters in the Republican primaries voted for someone other than Trump, so the evidence more strongly indicates that he doesn't represent the majority of the party.  It's true that he did win the nomination fairly within the rules that the party defined; I'm not implying that he didn't, just that this does not mean he represents the majority.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

This is what happens *with* Trump, not without him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies