Will the GOP allow a vote on Hillary's first Supreme Court appointee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:58:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the GOP allow a vote on Hillary's first Supreme Court appointee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP allow a vote on Hillary's first Supreme Court appointee?  (Read 883 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »

I know Repubs are saying that the vacancy shouldn't be filled in the final year of the President's term, but that has always happened, and we all know they're just looking for an excuse for partisanship.

Now with that said, I am not certain they'd accept Hillary's nominee, but it will be harder and harder for the GOP to find excuses. Will they allow a vote on Hillary's first Supreme Court appointee? I'd like to think they would, but I wouldn't be shocked if they don't. They almost certainly will allow a vote on the second choice if the first choice is filibustered.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »

Stop treating it as a foregone conclusion that she'll win.  It's still 2.5 months until election day, so it would be unfair to call it anything other than a tossup.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »

Stop treating it as a foregone conclusion that she'll win.  It's still 2.5 months until election day, so it would be unfair to call it anything other than a tossup.

By that logic, every race is a toss-up.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »

Depends on who the nominee is.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »

You can't possibly think that that's how tossups work.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:30:27 PM »

Considering that Democrats are likely to take the Senate on January 3, 2017 (current polling suggests 5 Democratic gains for a 51-49 advantage), I think Garland is likely to receive a vote and be confirmed, and that there is even a possibility this occurs in the very tail-end of the Obama Administration. As for Hillary's non-Garland nominees, it's difficult to say whether she'll even have any -- Ginsburg will be the most senior liberal on a majority 5-4 liberal court and will therefore be writing a great deal of opinions and be unlikely to leave; Sotomayor and Kagan are also pretty junior Justices who are unlikely to leave. It's possible Breyer retires, but there are several opinions (including on gerrymander reform, actually) that he clearly intends to write, and if he does intend to retire it won't be until very late 2017 or early 2018 at the earliest, at which point the 2018 cycle will be well under way and red-state Democrats may be averse to voting for a Hillary SCOTUS nominee; it may not actually be brought up for a vote until the lame-duck session in late 2018, imo.

As for replacing one of the other Justices -- none of them will willingly be replaced by Hillary; one of them would have to die. Kennedy is 80; the other conservative Justices are all in their 60s. Decide for yourself how likely that is; Clarence Thomas is thought to have an ambition to become the longest-serving Justice ever, for which he would have to stay in office until 2029, when he will be 81.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 01:17:45 AM »

Considering that Democrats are likely to take the Senate on January 3, 2017 (current polling suggests 5 Democratic gains for a 51-49 advantage),
A net 4 gains as current polling suggests they'll lose Nevada, tho if Titus had entered the race, she probably would be leading now in a rematch of her 2010 defeat in the House race to Heck, thus giving her the additional savor of revenge.  Unless Castro manages to pull it out, Titus is going to be facing a strong set of what might have beens from both herself and others had she taken the riskier route.

That said, I think Garland is likely to be approved by the lame duck, so it's not impossible Clinton won't get a chance to nominate someone until 2020.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:10:50 AM »

Ultimately, I think the cut-off line is 52 Democratic Senators. I think that is what they need to go thermonuclear and abolish the filibuster for ALL nominations. At that point, Republicans would have no say in the matter and Hillary would be free to nominate whoever she wanted. I think a 51-49 Senate is more iffy on that matter. I'm not sure how that would turn out. If Hillary does win and Democrats get 50 seats at best, it'll probably be Garland one way or the other. With the filibuster intact, I do think there would be enough Republicans to invoke cloture and confirm Judge Garland even if it takes until the new Congress takes power.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 05:21:08 AM »

They have to, even if they keep the senate. They just can't sit this out for four years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »

They have to, even if they keep the senate. They just can't sit this out for four years.

Radical Republicans prevented Andrew Johnson from appointing any justice by simply passing a legislation abolishing vacant seats. It would be possible again, I think, but hard to imagine.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »

Radical Republicans prevented Andrew Johnson from appointing any justice by simply passing a legislation abolishing vacant seats. It would be possible again, I think, but hard to imagine.

They also had the strength to override Johnson's vetoes, which isn't the case now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »

The nuclear option is in effect, Garland will be next justice
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: