Opinion of the Clinton welfare reforms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:31:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Clinton welfare reforms?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FR

HR

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Opinion of the Clinton welfare reforms?  (Read 2251 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »

Obviously terrible, but context is important. The Democratic Party, Congress, and public opinion were all very right wing during this period. Laying it all at the feet of Bill is asinine. I don't know why so many people have trouble grasping the fact that Congress is a thing.

Gotta love how you completely ignored the post right above yours, which utterly demolished such bullsh*t argument.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »

Obviously terrible, but context is important. The Democratic Party, Congress, and public opinion were all very right wing during this period. Laying it all at the feet of Bill is asinine. I don't know why so many people have trouble grasping the fact that Congress is a thing.

Gotta love how you completely ignored the post right above yours, which utterly demolished such bullsh*t argument.

I'm not sure what you would've preferred he done. Continued vetoing the bills until Congress brought in enough Republicans + Dixiecrats to pass an even worse version through his veto? Then lose re-election for being a welfare loving communist and allowing a Republican trifecta to jam through their entire wishlist?

Or perhaps he should've dissolved Congress, cancelled elections, and forced the right-wing American public to undergo re-education classes. Maybe you can find some common ground with the Trump supporters here!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »

Clinton fulfilling a campaign promise he made before Republicans took Congress really can't be blamed on Republicans.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »

I'm not sure what you would've preferred he done. Continued vetoing the bills until Congress brought in enough Republicans + Dixiecrats to pass an even worse version through his veto? Then lose re-election for being a welfare loving communist and allowing a Republican trifecta to jam through their entire wishlist?

If the bill couldn't withstand his veto the first time, I see no reason to assume a worse bill eventually could have.

If I'm the President and a horrible bill comes to my desk, I veto it, period. What does it matter if Congress keeps passing it again and again? Signing a paper every month or so isn't too much work.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »

Or perhaps he should've dissolved Congress, cancelled elections, and forced the right-wing American public to undergo re-education classes. Maybe you can find some common ground with the Trump supporters here!

His first two vetoes of the harsher bill didn't boost Dole's polling whatsoever. It's hard to see a final veto killing his campaign.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 05:13:03 PM »

Clinton fulfilling a campaign promise he made before Republicans took Congress really can't be blamed on Republicans.

He promised to reform the welfare system, he didn't promise this bill. During the 2 years Democrats controlled Congress nothing remotely similar to this was passed, and this bill was signed a few months before the 1996 election. Draw your own conclusions.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies