Im a Southern Baptist Here to Dispel Stereotypes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:19:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Im a Southern Baptist Here to Dispel Stereotypes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Im a Southern Baptist Here to Dispel Stereotypes  (Read 2525 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:59:55 PM »

Southern Baptists experience a lot of negativity and attacks and I want to address and eliminate stereotypes about my faith so here I go:
1) I'm not indoctrinated . I come from  family that contains all southern baptists, but I came to my conclusion by myself by visiting other denominations and branches of christianity. I believe in our doctrine the most, so thats why I'm SBC, not because my parents told me to be. Im also a christian of my own accord.
2) Im not unintelligent. I come from a very educated family with both of my parents holding multiple degrees and at least one masters degree ( my dad has an MBA and nursing degree, my mom a marketing degree, and both have a masters in theology).
3) I do not hate anyone. i welcome and love everyone. We are all God's children and we are all sinners. I am not judgmental, although people automatically assume I am because of my denomination. Its impossible to be judgmental is you recognize how we are all unworthy of the blessings we have and the salvation we received.
-
-
-
I would love to answer questions for y'all! (Yes, I said y'all) Im also a millennial so theres another SBC stereotype broken about us all being old!
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »

What would you say to Independent Baptists who regard the SBC as heretics?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:05:32 AM »

I'm a Reformed Baptist (nondenominational technically, but the church is strongly associated with John MacArthur's ministry).  Always good to see fellow believers in a similar tradition. Cheesy
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:06:32 AM »

One of the lesser know downsides of increasing secularism is that many people don't understand the difference between Westboro Baptist, Southern Baptist, and So-Liberal-We're-Episcopalians-Without-The-Hats-Baptist. I'm afraid people will be agreeing with those stereotypes more and more Sad

Anyway here are my questions:

1) I notice that the SBC has a pretty strong northern contingent, including ~100 congregations in Canada. My own PCA is in a similar situation. We got most of our northern churches from absorbing a northern based denomination and conservative PCUSA churches, with church plants making up the rest.

The SBC hasn't merged with anyone that I know of, and you don't have a larger liberal denomination to steal from. How did you guys get all of those northern churches? Was it all church plants or something else?

2) Could you provide a guesstimate of the size of the various SBC factions. I'm most interested in the size of the Calvinist party, but the size of liberals/conservatives, traditional/contemporary, or anything else you can think of would be interesting as well.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »

I imagine they've acquired a few ABC churches which is the successor after a few mergers and renamings of what was once called the Northern Baptist Convention.  Unlike their Southern brethern, they've firmly stuck with the congregational polity idea to the point of tolerating churches who don't toe the line on every interpretation of the Bible considered important to the leadership but yet still wish to remain in fellowship with them because they still hew to the Baptist core.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »

kay
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »

y u hat da gays?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »

One of the lesser know downsides of increasing secularism is that many people don't understand the difference between Westboro Baptist, Southern Baptist, and So-Liberal-We're-Episcopalians-Without-The-Hats-Baptist. I'm afraid people will be agreeing with those stereotypes more and more Sad

The main thing I've learned when I started educating myself on Protestantism was that there seems to be more variation (both theologically and politically) within each denomination than among various denominations. It did come as a surprise.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »

Anyway here are my questions:

1) I notice that the SBC has a pretty strong northern contingent, including ~100 congregations in Canada. My own PCA is in a similar situation. We got most of our northern churches from absorbing a northern based denomination and conservative PCUSA churches, with church plants making up the rest.

The SBC hasn't merged with anyone that I know of, and you don't have a larger liberal denomination to steal from. How did you guys get all of those northern churches? Was it all church plants or something else?

2) Could you provide a guesstimate of the size of the various SBC factions. I'm most interested in the size of the Calvinist party, but the size of liberals/conservatives, traditional/contemporary, or anything else you can think of would be interesting as well.

1) good question! We are an extremely mission minded community. Church planters were likely the cause of those northern churches as I personally know dozens of people who are church planters- and I'm just one person. I know the SBC has a large church planting and missionary budget and a large number of people willing to help bring people to God.
2) I wouldn't say theres a substantial Calvinist group at all. Most would probably object to it. The vast vast majority are conservative theologically and politically. My church is more contemporary and is very large (over 3000 weekly attendance), but i would say that the church is more contemporary overall too. WE still sing hymns sometimes, but its mostly contemporary worship nowadays.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »

What would you say to Independent Baptists who regard the SBC as heretics?
Ive never encountered their criticism, although I have encountered other denominations and branches of Christianity who label me a heretic and my explanation and retort depends on what they say. But in the end, It doesn't matter because man isn't the judge of my salvation and faith, God is.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »

I love everyone even if I disagree with their lifestyle. You don't bring people to Christ and to a better life through hate. You do it through love.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »

The main thing I've learned when I started educating myself on Protestantism was that there seems to be more variation (both theologically and politically) within each denomination than among various denominations. It did come as a surprise.

I'd dispute that. I'm sure Silent Cal and I could find plenty to fight over Wink

Seriously though, you're right. You can blame the fundamentalist-modernist controversy for that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 03:53:06 PM »

I'd dispute that. I'm sure Silent Cal and I could find plenty to fight over Wink

Kinda ironic that he'd be a Baptist, considering that the full name of the guy his username references is "John Calvin". Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah. I actually wish Christians could finally reach a consensus on this controversy and move over to issues I think are a lot more interesting and could be more helpful to society at large. Of course my idea of what that consensus should be is very different from yours, so that doesn't really help matters much. Tongue But still, I think a change of emphasis in the issues that are debated could be mutually beneficial.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »

Kinda ironic that he'd be a Baptist, considering that the full name of the guy his username references is "John Calvin". Tongue

That's not a reference to Calvin Coolidge?

Yeah. I actually wish Christians could finally reach a consensus on this controversy and move over to issues I think are a lot more interesting and could be more helpful to society at large. Of course my idea of what that consensus should be is very different from yours, so that doesn't really help matters much. Tongue But still, I think a change of emphasis in the issues that are debated could be mutually beneficial.

I know you're not trying to offend, but this is a bit like me suggesting you and a libertarian compromise about the appropriate size of the welfare state. It's kind of missing the point.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »

Opinion of the Jews?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »

Oh, Cal I've got another one. How much does the SBC enforce their standards and/or church discipline?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »

His full name was John Calvin Coolidge, wasn't it?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I see. I understand why people feel strongly about these issues and I respect that. It's just that I personally think it's unfortunate, because it prevents religion from playing a deeper social role that I've come to hope it could play. Of course I have no business telling believers what they should or shouldn't care about, but that's just my two cents.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »

His full name was John Calvin Coolidge, wasn't it?

Cool, you learn something new every day.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »

Oh, Cal I've got another one. How much does the SBC enforce their standards and/or church discipline?
We are extremely decentralized, Its a church by church basis with little oversight from a  central body if any.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »

Other than ecclesiastical polity, what about the SBC do you prefer over, say, Roman Catholicism or another Evangelical denomination like the PCA or LCMS? Is it more cultural, theological, or something else?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »

Other than ecclesiastical polity, what about the SBC do you prefer over, say, Roman Catholicism or another Evangelical denomination like the PCA or LCMS? Is it more cultural, theological, or something else?
It's theological and cultural. I'm a southerner and relate to the faith better, but really the main reason is that I agree with their doctrine more. I'm one of those people (who belong to both protestantism and catholicism) that think the other side is heretical. Those people are being silly.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »

It's theological and cultural. I'm a southerner and relate to the faith better, but really the main reason is that I agree with their doctrine more. I'm one of those people (who belong to both protestantism and catholicism) that think the other side is heretical. Those people are being silly.

Out of curiosity, is your local congregation more on the Calvinist or Arminian side of the debate, or does it not take a side?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 11:31:43 PM »

Hey Cal, what about the continualist vs cessationist debate? Your thoughts
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:46 PM »

Out of curiosity, is your local congregation more on the Calvinist or Arminian side of the debate, or does it not take a side?
I can only tell you my positions, not the church because of our severe focus on individual interpretation but I know the church has both views.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »

Hey Cal, what about the continualist vs cessationist debate? Your thoughts
Sorry but i don't know enough about that to give a firm opinion. I haven't completed college yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies