How could Gerald Ford have won 1976?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:36:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How could Gerald Ford have won 1976?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How could Gerald Ford have won 1976?  (Read 5569 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »

Ford should have selected Reagan as his running mate.  Reagan, if asked, would have done so, and would have helped.

That's a 281-257 Ford victory.  Iowa and Maine would have gone Carter's way, but that would hae been offset by Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas going for Ford.  I kept Alabama in the Democratic column, but that was because of Wallace's endorsement of Carter.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »

Ford lost the election when he pardoned Nixon. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

Would a trial during the election help?
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »

This election was way too close for it to be about something so big.  People had forgotten about Nixon by 1976. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 04:20:01 AM »

This election was way too close for it to be about something so big.  People had forgotten about Nixon by 1976. 

I wouldn't say forgotton, but the pardon was not a big issue. Carter did not attack him for this.
Metalhead123

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 07:19:11 PM »

I think Eugene McCarthy's run as an independent might have costed Ford the election. A lot of the state that Carter barely edged out Ford in were only won by a plurality. To be fair, I don't know who McCarthy affected more but yet again maybe he had no affect at all. I do think Fords comments on there being no Soviet domination in east Europe costed him the election. Perhaps if not for that statement, ford would have fared better in some of the closer races and won the election.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 08:33:26 PM »

I think Eugene McCarthy's run as an independent might have costed Ford the election. A lot of the state that Carter barely edged out Ford in were only won by a plurality. To be fair, I don't know who McCarthy affected more but yet again maybe he had no affect at all. I do think Fords comments on there being no Soviet domination in east Europe costed him the election. Perhaps if not for that statement, ford would have fared better in some of the closer races and won the election.
Eugene McCarthy may very well have taken liberals in the mold of John Lindsay from Ford. I think the gaffe may have helped him a little in extremely hawkish states like Mississippi.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »

McCarthy hurt Carter, not Ford.  McCarthy got Ford over the top in IA, OR and maybe one or two other small states.

Ford was a bit screwed because of the Nixon pardon, the sluggish economy and the fracture between the moderate and growing conservative wing.  He put Dole on the ticket to help with conservatives, but Dole was blah. Had he put Rockefeller on, that could have helped in the industrial states of NY, PA and OH, but maybe not...and, it could have killed Ford with conservatives out west.

That race was Carter's to lose and he almost managed to do that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 12:19:27 AM »

Ford also came extremely close in HI, FWIW.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »

Ford also came extremely close in HI, FWIW.

Yeah, Hawaii likes incumbents....incumbent Republican Presidents have always done surprisingly well there. I remember Michael Barone in his great book "From Roosevelt to Reagan" hypothesizing that Asian-Americans/Pacific Islanders have greater respect for authority/leadership as the explanation, as well as wanting to not be seen as outside the mainstream of American society. I don't agree with many of Barone's musings on the causes of phenomena but he raises valid points worth considering.
Lothal1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »

If the election went on for one or two more weeks Gerald Ford would have been relected. If he surged earlier he would have won.
Sedona
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.78

P P
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »

Ford certainly could have won if the election had continued for a little bit more.  Things were already moving in his direction, and the economy was looking up to a certain extent.

Ford should have selected Reagan as his running mate.  Reagan, if asked, would have done so, and would have helped.
Absolutely not.  Reagan may have been beloved by the party base, but in 1976 he was almost as frightening to the general population as Barry Goldwater was in 1964.  On the other hand, if he had stuck with Rockefeller, he could have further alienated the Reaganites, though they still might have swallowed their pride and vote for Ford regardless.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:06 PM »

Ford certainly could have won if the election had continued for a little bit more.  Things were already moving in his direction, and the economy was looking up to a certain extent.

Absolutely not.  Reagan may have been beloved by the party base, but in 1976 he was almost as frightening to the general population as Barry Goldwater was in 1964.  On the other hand, if he had stuck with Rockefeller, he could have further alienated the Reaganites, though they still might have swallowed their pride and vote for Ford regardless.
Reagan was NOT frightening to the American public in 1976; that was wishful liberal thinking.

Reagan was smooth and likeable in ways few Movement Conservatives are.  He was also an includer; he wasn't the kind of Movement Conservative who called every moderate Republican a RINO. 
Wade McDaniel
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 04:26:11 AM »

A few thousand more votes in Ohio should've done the trick along with a few thousand more in Hawaii.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies