How could Gerald Ford have won 1976? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:23:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How could Gerald Ford have won 1976? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How could Gerald Ford have won 1976?  (Read 5607 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: August 28, 2016, 05:19:29 AM »

The 1976 election was one of the most interesting ones I think. What could Gerald Ford have done (or not done) to win reelection?

Considering that he was a president of the incumbent party which controlled the White House for two terms, that the economic challenges were still big enough, that Vietnam fell although it wasn't his fault and, most important, a president resigned in disgrace two years before, he came pretty close to win. The pardon? It actually didn't play such a large role; Carter didn't attack him directly for it. The gaffe at the debate with "no Soviet domination in Eastern Europe"? I think that keeping Nelson Rockefeller on the ticket could have saved him. Rocky could have delivered NY's electoral votes. Had Ford won only NY in addition, he would have been reelected with 282 electoral votes. Any thoughts?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »

First, Ford was not running for "reelection," he was running for a full term.  He was the first (and so far, only) person to serve as both president and vice president without ever being elected to either position. 

And second, Ford probably could have won if the campaign had just lasted a few weeks longer.  He would've had more time to make his case, especially considering that he was facing major backlash against the GOP over Watergate.
I agree on this point to a extent.

Well, I also agree with that. He was trailing by thirty points after the convention and got within the margin of error on election day. That's tremendous.

However, I'd define "reelection" if an incumbent is running for the office he currently holds. What I guess that's a question of definition.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:24:59 AM »

Pardoning Nixon was the pragmatic choice for Ford.  If he hadn't done so, the Democrats would have made his trial the biggest thing since Nuremberg.  Ford took his hit early on that issue and it was almost enough to overcome his extreme underdog status.

Agreed. The pardon was even not used by Carter to slam Ford. 1976 was a prime example for an election, where both candidates did not use personal attacks because both were men of decent character.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:20:01 AM »

Ford lost the election when he pardoned Nixon. 
Would a trial during the election help?

This election was way too close for it to be about something so big.  People had forgotten about Nixon by 1976. 

I wouldn't say forgotton, but the pardon was not a big issue. Carter did not attack him for this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies