How could Gerald Ford have won 1976? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:10:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How could Gerald Ford have won 1976? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How could Gerald Ford have won 1976?  (Read 5596 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

« on: August 28, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
« edited: August 28, 2016, 09:57:00 AM by IBDD »

The 1976 election was one of the most interesting ones I think. What could Gerald Ford have done (or not done) to win reelection?

Considering that he was a president of the incumbent party which controlled the White House for two terms, that the economic challenges were still big enough, that Vietnam fell although it wasn't his fault and, most important, a president resigned in disgrace two years before, he came pretty close to win. The pardon? It actually didn't play such a large role; Carter didn't attack him directly for it. The gaffe at the debate with "no Soviet domination in Eastern Europe"? I think that keeping Nelson Rockefeller on the ticket could have saved him. Rocky could have delivered NY's electoral votes. Had Ford won only NY in addition, he would have been reelected with 282 electoral votes. Any thoughts?

Yeah I've always thought that replacing Rockefeller with Dole is what cost Ford the election.  Ford only lost New York by four points and Rockefeller likely would have pushed him over the top there.
That's true, but many people who voted for Ronald Reagan would have been alienated and might've not voted at all if Ford had chosen Neson Rockefeller. Not to mention this news article.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »

First, Ford was not running for "reelection," he was running for a full term.  He was the first (and so far, only) person to serve as both president and vice president without ever being elected to either position. 

And second, Ford probably could have won if the campaign had just lasted a few weeks longer.  He would've had more time to make his case, especially considering that he was facing major backlash against the GOP over Watergate.
I agree on this point to a extent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies