Trump has a huge problem with Catholics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:21:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump has a huge problem with Catholics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump has a huge problem with Catholics  (Read 2209 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »

Granted, much of that growth has to do with a dramatically expanding Latino population that still only represents 4% of eligible voters and 2% of registered voters (Younger demographic), despite being 10% of the statewide population (and yes there is a large evangelical protestant Latino population in GA as nationwide. Wink )

Additionally, as others have noted there is still a significant African-American and Asian-American population, so still not sure about the collapse of Southern Baptists and evangelical protestants, etc.... as part of a new "Catholic New Wave Movement". Wink

All jesting aside, it is interesting that Georgia has seen one of the largest increases between '85 and '15 of self-identified Catholics in the nation....

Lots going on down in Georgia, just please don't tell me the devil went down there. Smiley

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »

I find it amazing from the National Geographic survey that the Hispanic migration into my home state of Georgia has increased the Catholic percentage from 3.0 to 10.9% over the past 30 years.  And California from 23 to 33%.  And Massachusetts jumped from 17 to 41% in the same period?!!

Massachusetts hasn't had THAT much immiigration in the last 30 years, even counting Irish and Eastern European immigrants. there has to have been a flaw in the counting methodology in one of those years (and considering their claim only a seventh of mid-80's Massachusetts was Catholic, my guess would be the 85 numbers were off).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »

Hmmm, please note Minnesota and North Dakota on those maps. Actually North Dakota went from 27.4% in 1985 to 18% in 2014. As a rather religious state that has a lot less people than most places going "none" that's pretty harsh.

Also from that article:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I will now accept my accolades.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »

The Maine Catholic population is so small.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »

Hmmm, please note Minnesota and North Dakota on those maps. Actually North Dakota went from 27.4% in 1985 to 18% in 2014. As a rather religious state that has a lot less people than most places going "none" that's pretty harsh.

Also from that article:

I will now accept my accolades.

Accolades for what???

Did I miss something?

Not saying you aren't contributing to the overall body of knowledge..... but   Huh?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 09:50:08 PM »

I've been arguing for quite some time that "Catholic" is no longer an indelible social identity in the US and people leave the church and disaffiliate with great frequency now to the point where it's no longer unusual. I mean remember, from outlook, as an evangelical Christian (who thus knows many converts from Catholicism), my time in the whole DIY hardcore scene (which has near zero Catholics, but not to lack of anyone being raised that way) and living in a "trendy" part of Minneapolis for the past many years and my entire life in the Upper Midwest, a region where Catholics are so assimilated there is literally no discernable social separation between them and Protestants and both identities are basically regarded as closer to what football team you support than some ethnic/racial identity, the idea that this ISN'T the case is downright bizarre.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2016, 10:58:37 PM »

I've been arguing for quite some time that "Catholic" is no longer an indelible social identity in the US and people leave the church and disaffiliate with great frequency now to the point where it's no longer unusual. I mean remember, from outlook, as an evangelical Christian (who thus knows many converts from Catholicism), my time in the whole DIY hardcore scene (which has near zero Catholics, but not to lack of anyone being raised that way) and living in a "trendy" part of Minneapolis for the past many years and my entire life in the Upper Midwest, a region where Catholics are so assimilated there is literally no discernable social separation between them and Protestants and both identities are basically regarded as closer to what football team you support than some ethnic/racial identity, the idea that this ISN'T the case is downright bizarre.

Thanks BRTD.... makes more sense now.

Although, I agree with some of your points regarding the movement away from the church for many Catholics that have gone through baptism, attended weekly services etc, I do disagree with the concept that those that have left the flock/faith do not still self-identify as Catholics when asked....

My wife was Catholic and became an agnostic and then atheist before we were married, but as many other Catholics I know still has strong belief structures regarding fundamental teachings, including John Paul II social justice reforms, and regardless still self-identifies as a Catholic, regardless of church attendance or religious beliefs.

i will agree with you that in many communities of certain generations, there is a blurring of identity, regardless of social class-religious-culture backgrounds, but as a former punk rocker myself way back in the days, there are plenty of Americans that do maintain religious identity (Regardless of Church attendance) and keep true to certain core beliefs of the faith, which Mr. Trump has not only disparaged, and violated many of the ten commandments (Is there a priest that will give him communion at this time???), and additionally view his conduct to be in complete contradiction to works, when the dude is just a self-promoting "mouth on wheels".

Apologies if I missed your fundamental point.... could be that it is getting late and I misread after a few drinks on a Sunday night, but WTF does this have to do with the '16 election???

Confused...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2016, 12:27:26 AM by L'exquisite Douleur »

Thanks BRTD.... makes more sense now.

Although, I agree with some of your points regarding the movement away from the church for many Catholics that have gone through baptism, attended weekly services etc, I do disagree with the concept that those that have left the flock/faith do not still self-identify as Catholics when asked....

My wife was Catholic and became an agnostic and then atheist before we were married, but as many other Catholics I know still has strong belief structures regarding fundamental teachings, including John Paul II social justice reforms, and regardless still self-identifies as a Catholic, regardless of church attendance or religious beliefs.

i will agree with you that in many communities of certain generations, there is a blurring of identity, regardless of social class-religious-culture backgrounds, but as a former punk rocker myself way back in the days, there are plenty of Americans that do maintain religious identity (Regardless of Church attendance) and keep true to certain core beliefs of the faith, which Mr. Trump has not only disparaged, and violated many of the ten commandments (Is there a priest that will give him communion at this time???), and additionally view his conduct to be in complete contradiction to works, when the dude is just a self-promoting "mouth on wheels".

Apologies if I missed your fundamental point.... could be that it is getting late and I misread after a few drinks on a Sunday night, but WTF does this have to do with the '16 election???

Confused...

Well first according to that poll, over 40% don't identify as such. So it would seem the vast majority of those who've fallen out of practice DO NOT identify as Catholic anymore. It's obviously far higher in numbers, actually would have to be the rule in fact, amongst Millennials, and has been the rule in the Upper Midwest for decades at least...I mean if you don't actually practice anything in Catholicism, what makes you distinct from people who weren't raised Catholic? In Upper Midwest culture, really nothing. It's just another denomination that people brought up in may or may not still follow. And the evidence isn't just anecdotal at this point, those retention numbers in Upper Midwest states are brutal.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:46 AM »

That Massachusetts data from 1985 simply must be wrong.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »

Anecdotal, but my Pastor has openly rebuked Trump in his sermons.

That has never been done toward a political candidate in my years of attending Mass.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

That Massachusetts data from 1985 simply must be wrong.

That's what I'm wondering about. How could they be less than 20% Catholic in the '80s?

I'm willing to bet money that even today Suffolk County is majority Catholic, and no doubt was moreso back then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:03 AM »

I'd be very surprised if Suffolk County is majority Catholic seeing as how its 30% black and Asian before even getting into the "all liberal all the time" urban whites (though it doesn't include places like Cambridge and Brookline)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 05:46:44 AM »

This is intresting because I know more Catholics who support Trump than Hillary. I'm a proud member of the Catholics for Trump!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 12:07:46 AM »

Actually I think I figured out why North Dakota had such a sharp drop, and it's quite simple: almost all whites. And no Hispanics migrating in to replace the loss in whites.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies